Status
Not open for further replies.

democrats

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hi
I am going to university soon. I am enrolled in a course similar to Computer Science and am considering buying a laptop for running visual studio, using photoshop and maybe some gaming.
This is my first time buying a laptop so I was unsure which graphics card to have. I am intent on having an i7 3rd generation processor.

1. What is your budget?
£600-850
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" +
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p (higher if possible)
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need?
4 hours +
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Medium - High

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 GB+
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-GT70-0NC-008US-17-3-1080p-Core-i7-3610QM-NVIDIA-GTX-670M-3GB-12GB-RAM-Ivy-/300772316336?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item46076d54b0#ht_7342wt_1271
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
long time hopefully
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd
13. What country do you live in?
UK

Main question, apart from a specific laptop, which graphics card should I have.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

You can get a lot better laptop for the money. That acer doesn't even have dedicated graphics, it only has HD 3000 from the sandy bridge processor.

You will also not find any "desktop replacements" that offer 4+ hours of battery life. Most of them offer between 2-3 hours under normal use and...

jemm

Distinguished

democrats

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
forgot to mention the uni is in germany.

anyone got any recommendations for which graphics card?
I was thinkin either gt 660m or gtx 670m.
Is there a world of difference between em?

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

You can get a lot better laptop for the money. That acer doesn't even have dedicated graphics, it only has HD 3000 from the sandy bridge processor.

You will also not find any "desktop replacements" that offer 4+ hours of battery life. Most of them offer between 2-3 hours under normal use and don't even think of gaming on battery life once the video cards kick in.

With a budget of £600-£850 ($950-$1350) you could get quite a lot. A GTX 660m or GTX 670m should be more than enough for the gaming levels you are looking for. You should check out http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com and see what he has up for your price range. He has done a lot of the leg work researching various systems and while all of the links refer to US sites, the idea is to see a model that you would consider then try to find it in your area or on a UK site.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.