PNY GF6800 - what a joke

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I bought a PNY GF6800 from CompUSA because it was on sale; not really trusting PNY but thinking it couldn't be too bad. (http://www.pny.com/products/verto/performance/6800.asp) This board turns out to be a joke.

First glance at the board when I opened the box was nice and surprising, a fan and a big black heatsink covering most of the area in the front including memory chips, and a small heatsink attacked to the back of the gpu chip at the other side of the board.

Closer investigation found out that black “heatsink” was plastic. Yes, Plastic! The small “heatsink” looking thing at the back side of the board turned out to be a piece of plastic suspended about 1 or 2 mm from the board. What the heck was PNY thinking, using plastic to basically cover the whole board? To ensure the board never loss it’s heat? To keep the gpu and memory chips warm and closey in the winter??

Now, if PNY had to cut cost to make their video cards more affordable, that’s totally understandable. Maybe they could use a smaller heatsink, use cheaper fan, use lower quality memory (which I was sure they already did), I would understand; this card was about $50 cheaper than other cards after rebate. But using a big A** piece of plastic (!!) covering the small A** real heatsink and memory chips was really retarded to me.

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
If the card work i dont see any problem...

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Could be worse. They could have used.....um....hmmm....no, you're right. That sucks. Just hope it works out ok.

----------------------
PIV 2.4c @ 3.12ghz
1gig PC3200 (512mbx2)
ASUS P4P800
XFX 6600GT AGP
WinXP Pro
3DMark2005: 2869
3DMark2003: 7361
CS:Source: 75.95

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
PNY is the only manufacturer of Quadro boards, at least outside of Asia. They don't need to cut costs to produce a board that fails (if that's REALLY plastic, the card won't run for more than 60 seconds) and have to deal with returns. Either the card you got is a counterfeit, or the thing you think is plastic is actually some kind of heat conductive composite.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Um, what?

The plastic piece on the backside of the card is there as a backplate mount for the heatsink. It itself is not a heatsink, it is only there to anchor the main HSF.

The plastic on the front of the card and on the heatisnk is to make a duct for the airflow to spread out away from the fan (which is also plastic! oh no!) and over the heatpipe & heatsinks.

I think you just need to chill out and save your complaining for IF the card actually does overheat and fail because of the plastic components.

PS. This card is rated 5 stars at newegg with excellent reviews

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Ok so remover that POS HSF and put a the VGA silencer with some Ramsink on. Or you can find a Barton HSF and mount that on with some ramsinks. The 6800 line is borderlining water cooling anyways and they all suck in their cooling solutions.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>