Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

It pays to be a Dellbot

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 10, 2005 11:04:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My new E193FP went Pfftt.

It happens. Electronics die.

Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes. Transferred
me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.

Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it out.

Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
right information.

New monitor on the way.

Total call time, about 25 minutes.

Tom

P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

More about : pays dellbot

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 10, 2005 11:04:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

You can't just ask them where they are from, you gotta be sneaky.
Might I suggest... "heh, these dialog boxes keep popping up and
displaying strange words such as Chakrabandha, Janukurpara, and
Upavitika. What does that mean? If they know the answer, they
sure as hell aren't from Mississippi ;-)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 10, 2005 11:04:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

You're no "Dellbot", Tom, and neither am I. We have success with Dell
because we don't have an 'attitude' when dealing with the Company.

Ted Zieglar

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> My new E193FP went Pfftt.
>
> It happens. Electronics die.
>
> Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes.
Transferred
> me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.
>
> Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it
out.
>
> Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
> right information.
>
> New monitor on the way.
>
> Total call time, about 25 minutes.
>
> Tom
>
> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 10, 2005 11:04:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US
city weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer
asks where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in
the US.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 10, 2005 11:04:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
new one?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 10, 2005 11:47:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dellbot" and other labels intent on insulting those on either side are
actually indicators of the persons inability to make a point solely on its
merits.
Those who need labels or insults to prop up their position are clearly
incapable regardless of which side they are on.

Good to see a good tech support experience.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> My new E193FP went Pfftt.
>
> It happens. Electronics die.
>
> Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes.
> Transferred me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.
>
> Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it
> out.
>
> Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
> right information.
>
> New monitor on the way.
>
> Total call time, about 25 minutes.
>
> Tom
>
> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 10, 2005 11:57:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
news:D n2Yd.22715$gJ3.11117@clgrps13...
> "Dellbot" and other labels intent on insulting those on either side are
> actually indicators of the persons inability to make a point solely on its
> merits.
> Those who need labels or insults to prop up their position are clearly
> incapable regardless of which side they are on.
>
> Good to see a good tech support experience.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones

Indeed, but I'd wager you aren't quite so quick to pass such favourable
judgement on such labels as "troll" which are inevitably applied to anyone
who dares to comment about Dell's poor customer service.

Additionally, I think it's fair to say that anything that Mr Scales has to
say about Dell can be readily dismissed.

Which is a shame as I believe he probably has a lot to offer this group; but
when you're clearly in denial about Dell's failings (and when you ship in
the volumes that Dell does you are going to have them) your opinion is going
to be hopelessly biased..............

< pre-empting Tom's response..................<<plonk>> >
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:02:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@thebigtop.net> wrote in message
news:Uw2Yd.1857$QN1.247@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> news:D n2Yd.22715$gJ3.11117@clgrps13...
>> "Dellbot" and other labels intent on insulting those on either side are
>> actually indicators of the persons inability to make a point solely on
>> its merits.
>> Those who need labels or insults to prop up their position are clearly
>> incapable regardless of which side they are on.
>>
>> Good to see a good tech support experience.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones
>
> Indeed, but I'd wager you aren't quite so quick to pass such favourable
> judgement on such labels as "troll" which are inevitably applied to anyone
> who dares to comment about Dell's poor customer service.
>
> Additionally, I think it's fair to say that anything that Mr Scales has to
> say about Dell can be readily dismissed.
>
> Which is a shame as I believe he probably has a lot to offer this group;
> but when you're clearly in denial about Dell's failings (and when you ship
> in the volumes that Dell does you are going to have them) your opinion is
> going to be hopelessly biased..............
>
> < pre-empting Tom's response..................<<plonk>> >
>

Feel free to Plonk me. I am here to help and do so on a daily basis.

You do not.

I do not claim Dell is perfect, far from it.

I guess you just don't like positive stories.

Tom
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Chuckles;
I have been called a Dell hater or something similar for a similar comment I
made to a Dell fan who felt the need to insult to prove a point.

So your assumption is false as many assumptions are.
Perhaps you should approach judgement more cautiously lest you catch
yourself again in a bad assumption.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol


"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@thebigtop.net> wrote in message
news:Uw2Yd.1857
> Indeed, but I'd wager you aren't quite so quick to pass such favourable
> judgement on such labels as "troll" which are inevitably applied to anyone
> who dares to comment about Dell's poor customer service.
>
> Additionally, I think it's fair to say that anything that Mr Scales has to
> say about Dell can be readily dismissed.
>
> Which is a shame as I believe he probably has a lot to offer this group;
> but when you're clearly in denial about Dell's failings (and when you ship
> in the volumes that Dell does you are going to have them) your opinion is
> going to be hopelessly biased..............
>
> < pre-empting Tom's response..................<<plonk>> >
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:15:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Markeau wrote:
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>
>
> There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
> Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
> weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
> where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.

Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.

And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
subcontinent variety) living in MS.

From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
they may be.

Tom S.
Houston, TX
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:15:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Simchak wrote:
>
> Markeau wrote:
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> >
> >> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
> >
> >
> > There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
> > Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
> > weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
> > where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
>
> Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>
> And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
> subcontinent variety) living in MS.
>
> From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
> problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
> ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
> they may be.

Without trying to beat a dead horse (Oh, what the hell! Let's beat him!),
my experience with Gold Tech Support has been that these guys *don't*
script read, but really know what they're talking about.

Notan
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:15:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:fO2Yd.4799$yp.4583@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.


Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north or
south. >g<



"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:fO2Yd.4799$yp.4583@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> Markeau wrote:
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>>> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>>
>>
>> There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
>> Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
>> weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
>> where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
>
> Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>
> And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
> subcontinent variety) living in MS.
>
> From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main problem
> is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech. ALL techs,
> US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though they may be.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:15:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:
>Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
>would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.

Yeah, my wife and I have a running joke about "Cowboys & Indians".
8*)

My favorite is <in heavy indian accent> "Hello, thank you for calling
Dell, I'm here to make your experience with us as comfortable as
possible today. My name is "John"". 8*)

Personally I don't mind the accent, but it drives me nuts to get a
script monkey with absolutely no clue what he's talking about. A
recent call to Adelphia's tech support, for instance, got me first and
second tier techs who wanted to know if a 20% packet loss was causing
any kind of problem.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:15:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Notan wrote:
>
> Tom Simchak wrote:
> >
> > Markeau wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > > news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> > >
> > >> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
> > >
> > >
> > > There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
> > > Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
> > > weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
> > > where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
> >
> > Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> > would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
> >
> > And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
> > subcontinent variety) living in MS.
> >
> > From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
> > problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
> > ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
> > they may be.
>
> Without trying to beat a dead horse (Oh, what the hell! Let's beat him!),
> my experience with Gold Tech Support has been that these guys *don't*
> script read, but really know what they're talking about.

As a side note, when I saw the subject line of this thread, having been
accused of being a Dellbot, myself, I thought I was going to receive a
check in the mail, or something similar.

Damn! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:15:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:28:03 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>As a side note, when I saw the subject line of this thread, having been
>accused of being a Dellbot, myself, I thought I was going to receive a
>check in the mail, or something similar.
>
>Damn! <g>

No justice, is there? :) 
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:42:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:34:46 -0800, Irene wrote:
>
> Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north or
> south. >g<

On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the
nicest taxi trip I had ever taken - now, the rest of the people in NYC
were the most unfriendly people I've ever met :) 

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:42:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

And the driver could actually speak real English.
That's almost amazing. >g<
It sounds like you were very lucky.


"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.03.10.21.47.07.745886@nowhere.lan...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:34:46 -0800, Irene wrote:
>>
>> Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north
>> or
>> south. >g<
>
> On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
> told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
> remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
> and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
> mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
> service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
> if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
> enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
> me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
> a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the
> nicest taxi trip I had ever taken - now, the rest of the people in NYC
> were the most unfriendly people I've ever met :) 
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:42:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:42:45 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
>told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
>remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
>and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
>mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
>service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
>if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
>enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
>me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
>a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the

Was this a yellow cab? They can be fined for carrying passengers
without the meter running. And ANY NYC cabbie giving a free ride?
You must have been in some other universe.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 12:42:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Just looked at the "List".

I know one of them personally. I will have to pass on the other names that
this individual is grouped with. I am sure it will be considered an honor.


"Paul Knudsen" <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote in message
news:foo131hk433oviai0l5k1ilsfv2gqihlue@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:42:45 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>
>>On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
>>told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
>>remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
>>and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
>>mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
>>service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
>>if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
>>enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
>>me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
>>a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the
>
> Was this a yellow cab? They can be fined for carrying passengers
> without the meter running. And ANY NYC cabbie giving a free ride?
> You must have been in some other universe.
> --
> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:08:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:4230b96a$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
> How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
> new one?
>

It is under warranty. It's a month old! Frustrating, but it does happen, to
all companies, and I care more about the response of the company than the
failure. They're shipping me a new one with a box and prepaid return for
the old one.

Since the 19" Dell LCD is my "little" monitor, I still have my Samsung 213T
21" LCD panel to use.

Tom
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:08:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I was surprised after reading this group for awhile now. I expected to get
what I get from DirecTV or Direcway but as it turns out I did get someone in
India. However he knew how to fix my problem right away. I have a 3 week old
Dell Dim 8400 with MCE and Dim 3000 (about 2 months old) I rebooted the 8400
and it just went black only lights showing was the amber start button on the
computer. It turned out to be a simple fix due to a power surge and the
whole process took about 5 minutes from start of call to end of
conversation. Needless to say there is a new APC UPS on both machines now.

Now if you want to have a problem try DirecTV. I took all day (from 9 AM to
4:30 PM) and 26 phone calls to simply pay my bill due to the fact my account
is in a company name so it can't be paid on the net. Oh and the bill didn't
get paid due to the fact they never could fax me or email a copy of my
invoice. They sent it snail mail and it arrived today. No that is customer
service, NOT>

--

Joe Cilinceon


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:Ez3Yd.133378$qB6.62929@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:4230b96a$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
>> How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
>> new one?
>>
>
> It is under warranty. It's a month old! Frustrating, but it does happen,
> to all companies, and I care more about the response of the company than
> the failure. They're shipping me a new one with a box and prepaid return
> for the old one.
>
> Since the 19" Dell LCD is my "little" monitor, I still have my Samsung
> 213T 21" LCD panel to use.
>
> Tom
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:08:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>I care more about the response of the company than the failure.

Indeed, one of those industry-wide customer surveys indicated that the
company with the best response (not the lowest failure rate!) had the
best customer satisfaction.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:08:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
news:o gr131t753rtqkc6r8fbklduv3s4adlm4u@4ax.com...
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>I care more about the response of the company than the failure.
>
> Indeed, one of those industry-wide customer surveys indicated that the
> company with the best response (not the lowest failure rate!) had the
> best customer satisfaction.
>


That's really how it shakes out. You loved me when you sold me the damned
thing, but I can't find you when it breaks.

OR, it breaks and your attitude is still good about responding to and
correcting the problem.

You think more companies would get the idea. Damn. I started to use that
outdated term "customer loyalty".

Further, the latter response will garner customers who will pay more,
generally. (i.e.-Toyota quality/perceived quality).


Stew
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:55:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Notan wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>
>>Tom Simchak wrote:
>>
>>>Markeau wrote:
>>>
>>>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>>news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
>>>>Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
>>>>weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
>>>>where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
>>>
>>>Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
>>>would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>>>
>>>And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
>>>subcontinent variety) living in MS.
>>>
>>> From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
>>>problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
>>>ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
>>>they may be.
>>
>>Without trying to beat a dead horse (Oh, what the hell! Let's beat him!),
>>my experience with Gold Tech Support has been that these guys *don't*
>>script read, but really know what they're talking about.
>
>
> As a side note, when I saw the subject line of this thread, having been
> accused of being a Dellbot, myself, I thought I was going to receive a
> check in the mail, or something similar.
>
> Damn! <g>
>
> Notan

You only get royalties if you have trademarked the name "Dellbot". :) 

Now where did I put that form again....

Tom S.
Houston, TX
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:56:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Irene wrote:
> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> news:fO2Yd.4799$yp.4583@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
>>would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>
>
>
> Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north or
> south. >g<
>
>
I thought that's why I had a car...

Anyway, I'll bet cab drivers make more than tech support types.


>
> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> news:fO2Yd.4799$yp.4583@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Markeau wrote:
>>
>>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>>P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>>>
>>>
>>>There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
>>>Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
>>>weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
>>>where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
>>
>>Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
>>would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>>
>>And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
>>subcontinent variety) living in MS.
>>
>>From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main problem
>>is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech. ALL techs,
>>US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though they may be.
>>
>>Tom S.
>>Houston, TX
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:56:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:Qg4Yd.7777$YD4.1202@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Anyway, I'll bet cab drivers make more than tech support types.

Good point.




"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
news:Qg4Yd.7777$YD4.1202@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Irene wrote:
>> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>> news:fO2Yd.4799$yp.4583@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>>>Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
>>>would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>>
>>
>>
>> Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north
>> or south. >g<
>>
> I thought that's why I had a car...
>
> Anyway, I'll bet cab drivers make more than tech support types.
>
>
>>
>> "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
>> news:fO2Yd.4799$yp.4583@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>>>Markeau wrote:
>>>
>>>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>>news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
>>>>Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
>>>>weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
>>>>where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
>>>
>>>Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
>>>would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>>>
>>>And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
>>>subcontinent variety) living in MS.
>>>
>>>From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main problem
>>>is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech. ALL techs,
>>>US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though they may
>>>be.
>>>
>>>Tom S.
>>>Houston, TX
>>
>>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 2:19:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schreef in bericht
news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> My new E193FP went Pfftt.
>
> It happens. Electronics die.
>
> Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes.
> Transferred me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.
>
> Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it
> out.
>
> Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
> right information.
>
> New monitor on the way.
>
> Total call time, about 25 minutes.
>
> Tom
>
> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

Well, lucky you :-)
Seriously.
I don't believe you are a Dellbot.

I guess I just attract the occasional 'bad guys' at Dell because I always
have bad luck no matter which company is involved. New Philips TV broken,
right out of the box. New Villeroy & Boch shower cabin, leaking like hell
just after installation and so on....

Unfortunately, I have also had 3 failures of different Dells in our family
about which I made numerous service calls and not *once* have I spoken to a
tech and sorted stuff out in less than 2 minutes. And I'm no computer moron
FWIW. Even calling them and simply asking if I could buy a replacement PSU
proved to be almost impossible.
Bear in mind that I've always been very patient with them, never insulted
them or did anything wrong to them.
Just wondering what I'd done to deserve this kind of 'service'.....
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 2:19:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dennis Demont" <drdemspm@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:4230c7fd$0$28994$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> schreef in bericht
> news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> My new E193FP went Pfftt.
>>
>> It happens. Electronics die.
>>
>> Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes.
>> Transferred me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.
>>
>> Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it
>> out.
>>
>> Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
>> right information.
>>
>> New monitor on the way.
>>
>> Total call time, about 25 minutes.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>
> Well, lucky you :-)
> Seriously.
> I don't believe you are a Dellbot.
>
> I guess I just attract the occasional 'bad guys' at Dell because I always
> have bad luck no matter which company is involved. New Philips TV broken,
> right out of the box. New Villeroy & Boch shower cabin, leaking like hell
> just after installation and so on....
>
> Unfortunately, I have also had 3 failures of different Dells in our family
> about which I made numerous service calls and not *once* have I spoken to
> a tech and sorted stuff out in less than 2 minutes. And I'm no computer
> moron FWIW. Even calling them and simply asking if I could buy a
> replacement PSU proved to be almost impossible.
> Bear in mind that I've always been very patient with them, never insulted
> them or did anything wrong to them.
> Just wondering what I'd done to deserve this kind of 'service'.....
>


Just sounds like a bad luck of the draw, really. While I've been fortunate
with calls to Dell, I've not been so lucky with some others. Some, like
Crucial, have been nearly flawless, even regarding RMAs....


Stew
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 2:23:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> My new E193FP went Pfftt.
>
> It happens. Electronics die.
>
> Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes.
Transferred
> me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.
>
> Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it
out.
>
> Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
> right information.
>
> New monitor on the way.
>
> Total call time, about 25 minutes.
>
> Tom
>
> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>
>

Congrats. :) 

For my hard drive PIO/DMA problems, I called Dell tech support 4 times
tonight. I had an average of 20 minute waits on each call, and when a live
person finally did answer, they were all very difficult to understand. I
hung up on 3 of them (rude, yes, but I didn't want to continue to waste my
time or theirs), but stayed on the phone for the 4th person. She helped me
switch from PIO to DMA mode, but I'd still like to ask some in-depth
questions about warranties and diagnostics and whether or not they'll send
me a replacement HD even though my current one hasn't died yet.

For that conversation, I'll be calling them back tomorrow until I get
someone who I can communicate well with.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 2:26:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:28:41 -0500, "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>
>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>
>You can't just ask them where they are from, you gotta be sneaky.
>Might I suggest... "heh, these dialog boxes keep popping up and
>displaying strange words such as Chakrabandha, Janukurpara, and
>Upavitika. What does that mean? If they know the answer, they
>sure as hell aren't from Mississippi ;-)

hey, that's the first time I laughed out loud while reading this group
:) 

hopefully, the tide might soon turn on the outsourcing. Still, the
irony to me is that the ones from India are *almost* every time polite
- while I remember a time when I had twice been sent the wrong item
from a web order (not Dell). Being somewhat steamed by then, I
encountered the US young urban *attitude* when I complained to the US
rep on the phone. Not only she, but her supervisor as well, were
giving me the *attitude* that they don't take no upset attitude from
no customer. Plus, by then I knew more about their return procedure
than they did, BUT they were still giving me wrong advice on what
would happen in the return procedure.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 3:29:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:16:48 -0800, Paul Knudsen wrote:
>
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:42:45 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>
>>On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
>>told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
>>remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
>>and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
>>mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
>>service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
>>if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
>>enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
>>me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
>>a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the
>
> Was this a yellow cab? They can be fined for carrying passengers
> without the meter running. And ANY NYC cabbie giving a free ride?
> You must have been in some other universe.

I don't remember the color of the cab, but it was as official looking as
any other cab I've taken - I was this older mans last fair of the day. It
really surprised me too, but I was I know it was NYC, as the rest of the
interaction with the people was filled with rude people :) 

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
March 11, 2005 4:48:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If we did a Top Liberal Idiots list we couldn't keep it under 100 to give
them all their due.
And the "Democratic Underground" website name is just perfect! It is
exactly where the Democrats are positioning themselves to be, BURIED .

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Sw5Yd.23$zp6.16@fe03.lga...
> Just looked at the "List".
>
> I know one of them personally. I will have to pass on the other names
that
> this individual is grouped with. I am sure it will be considered an
honor.
>
>
> "Paul Knudsen" <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote in message
> news:foo131hk433oviai0l5k1ilsfv2gqihlue@4ax.com...
> > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:42:45 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
> >
> >>On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport
and
> >>told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
> >>remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to
NYC
> >>and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago -
I
> >>mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
> >>service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
> >>if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
> >>enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
> >>me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged
me
> >>a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was
the
> >
> > Was this a yellow cab? They can be fined for carrying passengers
> > without the meter running. And ANY NYC cabbie giving a free ride?
> > You must have been in some other universe.
> > --
> > Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
> > http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
>
>
March 11, 2005 4:51:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
news:4bf131d3bjs0kuahqo39iqgsvu6k0mgvv3@4ax.com...
> Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:
> >Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> >would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>
> Yeah, my wife and I have a running joke about "Cowboys & Indians".
> 8*)
>
> My favorite is <in heavy indian accent> "Hello, thank you for calling
> Dell, I'm here to make your experience with us as comfortable as
> possible today. My name is "John"". 8*)
>
> Personally I don't mind the accent, but it drives me nuts to get a
> script monkey with absolutely no clue what he's talking about. A
> recent call to Adelphia's tech support, for instance, got me first and
> second tier techs who wanted to know if a 20% packet loss was causing
> any kind of problem.

Did you explain to them that optimal networks experience a 20% packet gain
instead? ;-)
March 11, 2005 4:57:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> "They're shipping me a new one..."

no, no, no... you know better than that! Can you say "REFURB"?
May your dead pixel count be low.


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:Ez3Yd.133378$qB6.62929@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:4230b96a$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
> > How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
> > new one?
> >
>
> It is under warranty. It's a month old! Frustrating, but it does happen,
to
> all companies, and I care more about the response of the company than the
> failure. They're shipping me a new one with a box and prepaid return for
> the old one.
>
> Since the 19" Dell LCD is my "little" monitor, I still have my Samsung
213T
> 21" LCD panel to use.
>
> Tom
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 5:08:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <ov8Yd.139$Aw3.138@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
> Dave, here is the section that I was reading.
>
> Gold Technical Support is currently not available on Dimension or Inspiron
> Personal Systems and is currently not available to Dell Home System,
> Employee Purchase Program and Faculty Staff and Student customers. Service
> is subject to the terms and conditions of the service contract, available on
> www.dell.com.
>
>
>
>
> It is located in a paragraph at the bottom of this page.
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/serv...

"Personal Systems" which means consumer, not business.

Gold Support on "business systems" covers the entire line.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 5:33:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <ogr131t753rtqkc6r8fbklduv3s4adlm4u@4ax.com>, William P.N.
Smith says...
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
> >I care more about the response of the company than the failure.
>
> Indeed, one of those industry-wide customer surveys indicated that the
> company with the best response (not the lowest failure rate!) had the
> best customer satisfaction.

Interesting that you should mention that...

JD Powers did a survey of 5,000 major companies on their computer tech
support last year. In that survey, Dell came out number 3 (I don't
remember who was ahead of them).

Apparently, Michael Dell through a major fit and there was a severe re-
arrangement of management on the support side of Dell. The result last
year (and the beginning of this year) is a focus on providing better
support.

Dell did a survey of its own top customers to find out where the
deficiencies were.

At the top of the list was overseas support. Not that any of the
businesses really cared WHERE Dell support was handled, but that it was
generally felt that the support centers in India were not doing enough
to hire techs without heavy accents that made it difficult to
communicate. Proper communication between the tech and caller so that
the problem could be fixed in a timely manner was critical. From that,
the decision was made to move more of the business support back into
U.S. call centers. (to satisfy their contracts with overseas call
centers, they're moving those overseas techs from business support into
consumer support which gives consumer support a larger tech pool).

Dell is narrowing the focus of techs to specific product lines so that
they can become more expert at the product lines they do support. For
example, Nashville business support will stop supporting Dimension and
Inspiron this month and handle Lattitude and Optiplex only. Allowing
the techs to stop taking classes on the machines they don't support and
offering more classes and hands on training for those they do.

More calls are being recorded than ever before. A new phone system
allows dell to digitally record more phone calls now which can be used
for training. Local managers and "coaches" can access the calls of
individual techs and then work with the techs on deficiencies.

The "decision trees" used by techs to help diagnose problems on
computers has been made available to the public on the Dell Support web
site. Dell techs are encouraged to pass this information along to
customers (particularly IT). If a customer calls in with a problem and
has already done all of the troubleshooting steps for the proper tree,
that caller can give the tech a "journal ID" which allows the tech to
review the steps taken by the caller and more quickly issue parts when
necessary. (A 45 minute troubleshooting session on the phone can be
reduced to 5 minutes of verifying the tree info provided by the caller.)

Additional troubleshooting tools will be made available on the support
web site to further reduce the amount of time necessary to spend on the
phone. And in many cases you will be able to EMAIL the journal ID to
support and get parts issued without even making a phone call.

The result of these and some other internal programs is the JD Powers
ranked Dell back as #1 among businesses for support this year.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 6:32:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
news:4ebYd.17257$RD.15295@fe07.lga...
>> "They're shipping me a new one..."
>
> no, no, no... you know better than that! Can you say "REFURB"?
> May your dead pixel count be low.
>
>

They're shipping him a monitor in a box that is labeled 'refurb'.

It may be a refurb or it may be new. I've had 3-4 drives (including some
opticals) replaced that so far as I could discern upon very close inspect
were brand new.

No scarring on the sides to indicate that they were ever mounted; ESD
packaging identical to new retail drives.

I've always thought the "refurb" policy and label were there in case of
availability problem with new replacement parts, but I don't factually know
that.


Stew
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 7:25:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Brad Licatesi" <brad@pitt.jennifer> wrote in message news:MPG.1c9b13c468dd499798969b@newsgroups.comcast.net...

> The "decision trees" used by techs to help diagnose problems on
> computers has been made available to the public on the Dell Support web
> site. Dell techs are encouraged to pass this information along to
> customers (particularly IT). If a customer calls in with a problem and
> has already done all of the troubleshooting steps for the proper tree,
> that caller can give the tech a "journal ID" which allows the tech to
> review the steps taken by the caller and more quickly issue parts when
> necessary. (A 45 minute troubleshooting session on the phone can be
> reduced to 5 minutes of verifying the tree info provided by the caller.)

This is the first time I've heard of them trying that. It is actually the first
time I've heard of any company trying that. But I've been waiting, you
might even say hoping, to run across it for the past few years. I guess
there is always the potential for abuse, and there is certainly the
potential for the system/interface to be clunky or otherwise less than
ideal. But if you create a good troubleshooting system, and couple that
with an incentive (login to fast support queue via journal ID, advertise
the system during hold in slow support queue), you just might have
something.

I just looked for and found the Interactive Troubleshooting link into the
Dell Solution Network [wizard], and played around with it a little bit.
I'm curious... how long as it be available?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:01:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Brad Licatesi <brad@pitt.jennifer> wrote:
>The "decision trees" used by techs to help diagnose problems on
>computers has been made available to the public on the Dell Support web
>site. Dell techs are encouraged to pass this information along to
>customers (particularly IT). If a customer calls in with a problem and
>has already done all of the troubleshooting steps for the proper tree,
>that caller can give the tech a "journal ID" which allows the tech to
>review the steps taken by the caller and more quickly issue parts when
>necessary. (A 45 minute troubleshooting session on the phone can be
>reduced to 5 minutes of verifying the tree info provided by the caller.)
>
>Additional troubleshooting tools will be made available on the support
>web site to further reduce the amount of time necessary to spend on the
>phone. And in many cases you will be able to EMAIL the journal ID to
>support and get parts issued without even making a phone call.

Wow, that's very impressive, if true, I'm looking forward to giving it
a try! [Now I have to hope for a failure?]
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:04:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>I've always thought the "refurb" policy and label were there in case of
>availability problem with new replacement parts

It's some kind of accounting game, I've been offered "new marked as
refurb" Dell monitors at a substantial discount. It's a way to get
rid of overstock and obsolete parts at less than their "new" price.
Given the state of pricing on computer bits, it's possible for a "new"
product from (say) last year to be more expensive than the equivalent
new product from this year, so it'll never sell, and will sit in your
inventory forever.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:05:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Terry Summers" <tsum@tsummer.net> wrote:
>I'd still like to ask some in-depth
>questions about warranties and diagnostics and whether or not they'll send
>me a replacement HD even though my current one hasn't died yet.

Make sure you get something like Aida that'll give you the SMART
numbers off your drive, so you can see how many bad sectors and
retries and such it's got...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'm inside 30 days. It is a new one.
"Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
news:4ebYd.17257$RD.15295@fe07.lga...
>> "They're shipping me a new one..."
>
> no, no, no... you know better than that! Can you say "REFURB"?
> May your dead pixel count be low.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 1:30:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in
news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> My new E193FP went Pfftt.
>
> It happens. Electronics die.
>
> Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes.
> Transferred me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.
>
> Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it
> out.
>
> Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out
> the right information.
>
> New monitor on the way.
>
> Total call time, about 25 minutes.
>
> Tom
>
> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>
>

Got a new 1905FP. The screen is fine. I actually find it too bright.
Anyway, got the monitor for a week and the USB hub on the monitor died.
Tried to connect a USB card reader. The memory card reads fine, but can't
copy anything from or to it. Connected my Pocket PC and could not sync.
Then, I tried a USB memory flash drive and it can't be seen.

Called Dell Canada Tech Support. The dude was asking for a service tag on
a monitor. DUH!! There is no service tag on monitors. Then, I gave him
the invoice number of the order and he tried to verify my address, but he
said none of the addresses I gave him match his records. I have bought two
systems and two monitors from Dell in the past two years, actually another
15" LCD for my parents three weeks ago and they can't find my record...

Anyway, he had to transfer me to Customer Service, but he cut me off...
Couldn't even transfer the phone. I called back, was on hold for twenty
mintues... Talked to the CS rep, and he said I can claim DOA on the monitor
and a new one will be on the way. Woo Hoo!!

I am not sure if Dell Canada has outsourced their tech support. They do
have a different phone number. However, even if they are in North America,
they are not as bright as one might think.

-lyj


----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 9:21:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If you remember, I made the call to Dell around 3PM yesterday.

Got home for lunch today and the new E193FP was waiting for me. Using it to
type this.

Guess they know me by name at Dell :) 

Tom
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 11, 2005 10:57:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:o peYd.163593$JF2.144896@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> I'm inside 30 days. It is a new one.

<snip>


....which I was going to mention, but didn't know if they had changed that
policy.

So in this case, "new" is indeed "new", not new in a box marked "refurb".

Cool.


Stew
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 12, 2005 1:44:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dogface wrote:
> If we did a Top Liberal Idiots list we couldn't keep it under 100 to give
> them all their due.

You couldn't hold a Top Ten list to less than 100? Sounds brain damaged
to me.
March 12, 2005 4:33:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
news:D OtYd.1885$G8.1297@fe10.lga...
> Dogface wrote:
> > If we did a Top Liberal Idiots list we couldn't keep it under 100 to
give
> > them all their due.
>
> You couldn't hold a Top Ten list to less than 100? Sounds brain damaged
> to me.

Who said anything about "Ten" pea brain? Are you angling for a place on the
list?!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 12, 2005 5:01:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:7_rYd.21822$5T6.17938@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:o peYd.163593$JF2.144896@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> I'm inside 30 days. It is a new one.
>
> <snip>
>
>
> ...which I was going to mention, but didn't know if they had changed that
> policy.
>
> So in this case, "new" is indeed "new", not new in a box marked "refurb".
>
> Cool.
>
>
> Stew
>
>

Brand new. Already up and running. Call to delivery in 18 hours. Prepaid
return with pickup.
!