secure my home network system

Need help, I am confused in trying to determine in what I need to do to secure
my home network system.
My system consist of an SMC wireless router, print server, HP laptop (XP
system) wireless card SMC and desktop pc (Windows 98) USB adapter. The system
works great.

Questions:
1.) Should the firewall be set at my SMC router level?
2.) Should the firewall like Zone Alarm, be installed on the laptop?
3.) Should I install the XP firewall?
Any help would be appreciated.
SF

sfree24677@aol.com (SFree24677) wrote in

> Need help, I am confused in trying to determine in what I need to do
> to secure my home network system.
> My system consist of an SMC wireless router, print server, HP laptop
> (XP system) wireless card SMC and desktop pc (Windows 98) USB adapter.
> The system works great.
>
> Questions:
> 1.) Should the firewall be set at my SMC router level?
> 2.) Should the firewall like Zone Alarm, be installed on the laptop?
> 3.) Should I install the XP firewall?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> SF

I made a post to the thread *how to connect W2k with XP via router* in this
NG about some things on security and the home network that may help.

A host base FW with Application Control and IPsec are active on my
machines, since a NAT router is not a FW and cannot stop outbound if
needed. :)

http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_is_a_firewall.html

You should think layered protection as it cannot hurt. <g>

Duane :)