Looking for a ~$1200 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regimonk

Honorable
May 10, 2012
1. What is your budget? ~$1200 but can go a bit higher.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17” is preferred. Can go to 15” if absolutely necessary.

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable, used while traveling and/or away from the house.

5. How much battery life do you need? The longer, the better.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low, Medium or High)? World of Warcraft for the most part, maybe some new games that are on the way out. Preferably Ultra/High settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Watch blue ray movies, stream video, and do some business paperwork.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500-750 GB. A ssd would be nice but isn’t crucial.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Newegg, TigerDirect, Microcenter, Sager, Xoticpc are all sites I've looked at and would be willing to purchase from, unless people have had bad experiences with any of these or if it is recommended to not buy from one of these sites.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? A few years; I’d rather pay for quality parts that won’t break down on me.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Blueray player as well as DVD writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I’ve heard good things about ASUS and some custom build websites like Sager and Xoticpc. Would like to stay away from Dell and HP due to bad experiences in the past.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I have a desktop for doing most of my gaming, I just want to be able to play some while I’m gone. Good screen resolution, blue ray player, and 17” are the most important specs I’m looking for. A ssd would be nice but I don’t have to have it. I found a laptop on TigerDirect that looks good: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2355975&sku=A50-173203. Some opinions on this laptop would be great or if someone can point me in the direction of a better laptop or custom build. Thank you for your time.

Regimonk

Honorable
May 10, 2012
After spending some time at www.xoticpc.com, I came up with some specific questions. If I am primarily buying this for World of Warcraft, watching blue ray movies and for classes/work paperwork, can I need one of the new Ivy bridge cpu's or will the previous generation work for me? Will I notice much difference between the m640 and the m660 gpu's? And finally, whats the difference between all of the wireless cards? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.