Print Spooler keeps stopping on a new Dell Latitude runnin..

Hi,

I have a weird problem with a few brand new laptops Dell Latitude D810 and
D410. They have XP SP2 and the print spooler keeps stopping for no reason.
As soon as a printer is added, or during the process of adding a printer,
the spooler gets stopped. Not sure what's causing it and the Event Viewer
doesn't show any useful information other than it tells the spooler service
has been stopped x times.

I'm not sure where to start so hopefully someone may have an answer to this,
thanks.

P.S. Could hardware be causing this?

Simon
5 answers Last reply
More about print spooler stopping dell latitude runnin

    Hi Simon,

    Thanks for posting here.

    From your post, my understanding of this issue is: When you try to install
    a printer to some brand new Dell laptops with Windows XP SP2, the Printer
    Spooler service stops. If this is not correct, please feel free to let me
    know.

    Based on my experience, you may refer to the following steps to
    troubleshooting:

    1. When the service stopped, can you start it again? You may try to
    restart it from Services.msc snap-in or just run command "net start
    spooler". If the service cannot be restarted successfully, please go to
    next step.

    2. Some old printer drivers are not compatible with XP SP2, and the
    incompatible driver may cause similar issue. Therefore, please download
    and install the latest driver (make sure it's compatible with SP2) for the
    printer from the Web site of the printer manufacture. Then test this issue.

    If the issue still occurs with compatible driver, please go to next step.

    3. Clean the printer subsystem completely and then reinstall the printer
    with latest driver:
    WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
    may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
    guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
    can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    Using this method will remove all of the printer drivers installed on the
    system. You need to install the latest printer driver in order for the
    printer to work.

    a. Log into the system as an administrator, click Start >> Run, input
    regedit and click OK to run regedit.exe.

    b. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print, click
    Registry->Export Registry File on the menu, and export the current key to a
    REG file for backup. (Note: You may double click on the REG file in
    Windows Explorer to restore the original settings)

    c. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
    s NT x86\Drivers, and then remove both the Version-2 and/or Version-3 keys.

    d. Remove ALL SUB KEYS under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers. (Note:
    DO NOT REMOVE THE PRINTERS KEY.)

    e. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
    s NT x86\PrintProcessors, delete any processor that is not the following:

    winprint

    f. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers, delete
    any provider that is not one of the following:

    Internet Print Provider
    LanMan Print Services

    g. Refer to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors],
    delete any monitor that is not one of the following:

    BJ Language Monitor
    Local Port
    PJL Language Monitor
    Standard TCP/IP Port
    USB Monitor
    Windows NT Fax Monitor
    AppleTalk Printing Devices
    LPR Port

    h. Exit the registry editor.

    i. Remove all files from the following directories:

    %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
    and/or
    %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

    j. Reboot and install the latest printer driver.

    If the issue persists, please let me know the brand and model of the
    printer for further assistance.

    Hope this helps! Please try the suggestions above and let me know the
    results at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you
    soon.

    Have a nice weekend!

    Sincerely,

    Tom Che

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Newbie" <newbie@hotmail.com>
    >Subject: Print Spooler keeps stopping on a new Dell Latitude running XP SP2
    >Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:50:42 -0400
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a weird problem with a few brand new laptops Dell Latitude D810 and
    >D410. They have XP SP2 and the print spooler keeps stopping for no
    reason.
    >As soon as a printer is added, or during the process of adding a printer,
    >the spooler gets stopped. Not sure what's causing it and the Event Viewer
    >doesn't show any useful information other than it tells the spooler
    service
    >has been stopped x times.
    >
    >I'm not sure where to start so hopefully someone may have an answer to
    this,
    >thanks.
    >
    >P.S. Could hardware be causing this?
    >
    >Simon

    Hi,

    I'll try the registry fix later on today when I can get a hold of the
    laptop. It seems though, it's not related to drivers as I've tried
    installing even a dummy printer picked from the list of available printers
    in XP, still no good. I can always restart the service but as soon as I try
    to do anything to do with printing (bringing up the Print selection page
    from within programs, or browsing through the printer selection would make
    the spooler to stop).

    Event Viewer doesn't show useful information as it tells the spooler has
    beens stopped for x times, but nothing more. Would DrWatson help to
    troubleshoot?

    Thanks,

    Simon

    "Tom Che [MSFT]" <v-tomche@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > --------------------
    >>From: "Newbie" <newbie@hotmail.com>
    >>Subject: Print Spooler keeps stopping on a new Dell Latitude running XP
    >>SP2
    >>Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:50:42 -0400
    >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a weird problem with a few brand new laptops Dell Latitude D810 and
    >>D410. They have XP SP2 and the print spooler keeps stopping for no
    > reason.
    >>As soon as a printer is added, or during the process of adding a printer,
    >>the spooler gets stopped. Not sure what's causing it and the Event Viewer
    >>doesn't show any useful information other than it tells the spooler
    > service
    >>has been stopped x times.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure where to start so hopefully someone may have an answer to

    Hi Simon,

    Thanks for your response, and sorry for my delayed reply due to the weekend.

    If the issue persists after Registry modification as my previous reply,
    based on my further research, there is a KB article (KB810894) may help
    you, it said this issue may also occur if the correct installation and
    functionality of a newly installed printer is affected by an existing
    third-party printer driver or service.

    For example, this issue may occur if the LexBCE custom printer driver from
    Lexmark is installed on your computer before you add another printer.

    For more information, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:

    Error message: Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to
    close
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/810894

    I also copy and paste the method here just for your convenience.

    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
    Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
    using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    1. Start the computer in Safe mode and logon with administrator.

    For additional information about starting your computer in Safe mode, click
    Start, click Help and Support, type safe mode in the Search box, press
    ENTER, and then click the Start Windows in Safe mode topic.

    2. Start Windows Explorer, and then delete all files and folders in the
    following two folders:
    o c:\windows\system32\spool\printers
    o c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

    3. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
    ENTER.

    4. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
    s NT x86

    View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

    - Drivers
    - Print Processors

    5. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 4, follow these
    steps:

    a. On the File menu, click Export.

    b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for
    example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

    You can use this backup of the

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
    s NT x86

    registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you
    complete this procedure.

    c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 4 .

    6. Navigate to and then click the

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

    registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following
    subkeys:

    - BJ Language Monitor
    - Local Port
    - PJL Language Monitor
    - Standard TCP/IP Port
    - USB Monitor

    7. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 6, follow these
    steps:

    a. On the File menu, click Export.

    b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for
    example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

    You can use this backup of the

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

    registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you
    complete this procedure.

    c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 6.

    8. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the
    computer.

    9. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer
    according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then try to
    print a test page.

    Hope this helps! Please try the suggestions above and let me know the
    results at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you
    soon.

    Have a nice week!

    Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support
    professionals to answer your non-urgent, break/fix systems and applications
    questions. Our goal is to provide 24 hour response to all questions.

    If this response time does not meet your needs, please contact Customer
    Service and Support (CSS) for more immediate assistance. For more
    information on available CSS services, please click here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

    Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

    This and other support options are available here:
    BCPS:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

    --------------------
    >From: "Newbie" <newbie@hotmail.com>
    >Subject: Re: Print Spooler keeps stopping on a new Dell Latitude running
    XP SP2
> [...]
    >>>From: "Newbie" <newbie@hotmail.com>
    >>>Subject: Print Spooler keeps stopping on a new Dell Latitude running XP
    >>>SP2
    >>>Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:50:42 -0400
    >>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have a weird problem with a few brand new laptops Dell Latitude D810
    and
    >>>D410. They have XP SP2 and the print spooler keeps stopping for no
    >> reason.
    >>>As soon as a printer is added, or during the process of adding a printer,
    >>>the spooler gets stopped. Not sure what's causing it and the Event
    Viewer
    >>>doesn't show any useful information other than it tells the spooler
    >> service
    >>>has been stopped x times.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not sure where to start so hopefully someone may have an answer to

    Hi Simon,

    I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
    or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
    know. I am glad to be of assistance. :-)

    Have a nice day!

> [...]

    >>> %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
    >>> and/or
    >>> %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
    >>>
    >>> j. Reboot and install the latest printer driver.
    >>>
    >>> If the issue persists, please let me know the brand and model of the
    >>> printer for further assistance.
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps! Please try the suggestions above and let me know the
    >>> results at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from
    you
    >>> soon.
    >>>
    >>> Have a nice weekend!
    >>>
    >>> Sincerely,
    >>>
    >>> Tom Che
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >>> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
    >>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    Hi Simon,

    I have not received any responses from you lately, and I am just wondering
    if you require further assistance or if the issue has been resolved.
    Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you on it. I

Print Spooler Latitude Dell Windows XP