johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
here's an easy one for you guys. i am getting a new system this holiday season and i am kinda hung up on a few things. the only one that is giving me trouble is monitors. specificly lcds vs crts. do lcds still have that slight blurring effect? can they do as high resolutions as a crt? if money is not an option and gaming is the main goal, which is a better option for image quality?

also one or two things i am kinda confused on. if a monitor is called a "flat panel" is it an lcd or just a flat screen crt? just want to clarify. a few things i have read on the boards here confuse me too, specifically the debates over hl2 graphics. what is IQ? and FP12-32?

any help would be awesome.
johnny internet

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
CRT's are still better. But there are some very good LCD's on the market, you can read a review at Anandtech.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
crt's are better cause of the no blur thing right?
and i guess the price is leaps and bounds as well.

i was thinking of a benq lcd, but crt seems like a better choice. any recommendations from experience about quality crts with 1600x1200 (or whatever is the highest)?

oh yah do they make widescreen crts? if so is it worth it?

if any of this is in that site provided above feel free to ignore this, unless you are looking for something to pass the wee hours of the night.

johnny internet. thanks.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like Samsung flat-tubes.

I was looking at a 41" wide-tube a few years ago that had a VGA input, but it was a CRT TV. I don't know of any widescreen CRT computer monitors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If you specify a budget people will be better able to help out :smile: .

I have a Samsung 957Mb 19" monitor, and it's excellent for the money. (I paid about £150 for it, but I believe they're around $200 stateside). Does 1600x1200 at decent refresh rates, and will do 1900 x 1400 (or thereabouts - can't remember the exact res)

Personally I'm not that keen on computer monitors larger than 19" or so - You sit too close to the screen with a PC for a larger monitor to be of much value, IMO. Plus of course you need a lot more desk space for larger tubes.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
No blur on a 12ms LCD moniter. Blur gets really noticible and crappy on 20+ ms moniters

After having a crt for years and going to a lcd, my jaw hit the floor, grahpics and pictures look so lush and vivid, it looks like you can reach your hand in and touch them, I use crt's now and get a headache. Crt moniters tend to have faster refresh rates though.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rx7000 on 12/02/04 08:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
After having a crt for years and going to a lcd, my jaw hit the floor, grahpics and pictures look so lush and vivid, it looks like you can reach your hand in and touch them
I'm surprised how happy you are with your monitor- I think LCD has the worst fidelity of any format. CRT is still the choice for professional designers and editors.

Pros- low energy consumption, space-saving and elegant looks, lower eye strain, vivid (though unnatural) colors

Cons- very expensive, blurry, mostly unsuitable for FPSs, unnatural color presentation, weird contrast issues

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

Not budget, but Sony has 24" Widescreens. There's a bunch in the Masters' Comp Lab at the University.

24" Widescreen, and cost about $2-3,000 Canadian.

<A HREF="http://www.sony-cp.com/en/products/crt/f_professional/fw900/" target="_new">Found this</A> from Sony's site.

I know that a Canadian company (rebranding Daewoo IIRC) Daytek used to seel a 16:10/9 CRT. I think it was near the 20" level and about $1,000 when I saw it. Anyways, they are out there, but they are very far from cheap. So to me their only worth would be for either professional video or professional page editing. OR if you're a University and some dumba$$ prof decides he wants sexy monitors in the labs but can afford another bulb for the LCD projectors!

Maybe they gave him one free for ordering them, and he can now edit his home 'movies' better. :evil:

I'd say a solid Phillips 19", Sony 21", or Viewsonic 21" would also be in good company with the Samsungs.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
perfect thanks for the help. guess i will stick with a high res crt. money wise its better and it sounds like overall the performace is better as well. the only draw back i pick up is that they have fat asses. oh well what can you do.

thanks for all the help. makin my life much easier.

johnny internet

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Its funny I always here kids complaning about lcd who have crts, after all my friends at down and actually used my computer with a lcd all I heard was... "WOW, I wish I could afford this, this looks so nice". I know more people whove bought lcds after using a crt and they flip out over the diffrence, Ive never sat down on a crt and gotten the instant gratification ive seen from a lcd. Everyone has different opinions to.

Im sure theres Some people who still prefer black and white tv.....

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
"WOW, I wish I could afford this, this looks so nice"
Nope, I can't afford one, and neither can a lot of other people on this forum, you little prick.

I use LCD monitors all the time at school, and the picture quality is inferior on most LCDs. Only a really expensive LCD will come close to doing the image justice, and even then they will never be able to achieve the pixel contrast or color fidelity of even a cheap CRT monitor.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

I love LCDs for text, which I had one at work (even despite having a sweet IBM P260). For text viewing which is montly what I do (Outlook, Word, Excel), with the occasional network diagram or service map, I'd prefer an LCD.

However for Video, Picture detail and especially gaming, I'd still prefer a good CRT.

The new LCDs from people like SONY with the LED backlighting looks to offer wicked blacks/whites, and with the refreshes coming down, things are getting closer. But still right now CRTs are supreme.

LCDs are great for eye strain though.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
For price,quality and the overall picture, CRTs are better.
Now if LCDs can meet the qualities and price/size of CRTs, I will buy one. My 21" CRT will crap out in 4-6 years and I see no reason to change.

LCDs are much better then they used to be, but value wise CRTs are much better and picture quality is still better.

They have been developing flat screen CRTs for a few years.
When are they coming out?

When they make a LCD, or other type monitor that is 21" or larger, that is the quality of a good CRT for around 250.00, I will buy it!

Sometimes I think that people have a "Wow factor" with LCDs. I know years ago when I bought a 19" CRT, that was a WOW because most people had 13/14/15" monitors.

I'm open to buy a LCD, or other type of monitor if it can deliver the same qaulity image for the same price. I know you people that spent alot of money want to justify your purchase of a LCD, I will wait to justify my purchase of a
LCD monitor.

I have a desk that is 6 feet wide(2 meters), 3 feet deep(1 meter) so I have the room. I can understand the need for smaller monitors.

Not to flame anybody but a CRT is a better value.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

johnnyinternet

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
thanks man

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
indeed the LCDs look nice.. as long as the are turned off.

why would I wan't a headache-causing terrible 15" LCD when I can get a supreme imagequality on a 19" CRT for less?

The only time I remember the LCD being better, was when I was using another computer really really drunk, it kinda suited my state of blur and flickering :D

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

RichPLS

Champion
LCD's have no flicker, hence, they are much easier on the eyes, ie, no headaches...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

CRT's are the price / perforance kings. Set the refresh to over 75 and you won't get headaches.

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
I just recon that any movements or window-drags gives me headspinns, i really don't like LCDs, sorry :)

but no, i will no pass on a wallfit plasma tv :D

Abit IC7 Max II Adv.- P4E3.0@3.6 - CNPS7000B-CU - i875P - 1024mb dual ddr400 3-2-2-5 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b