Cannot boot into safe mode

I'm running XP Pro SP2 with Norton AV2002 - everything up to date.

The computer functions perfect, except for the fact that I cannot boot into safe mode. Whenever I get to the safe mode login screen and click boot in safe mode, all I get on the screen is a bunch of data on a black background.

It looks like a mysterious listing of the folder \Windows\System32\Drivers with a line for each driver. This is an example of one of the lines:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dmload.sys

I would greatly appreciate if somebody could explain this to me and help me solve the problem.

PS! I know I can go to MSCONFIG and try to get into safe mode that way, but I'm not too keen (scared) to try that, after having experienced what I've described above.

That text on the screen is normal when booting into safe mode. It's a
list of drivers etc being loaded on startup in case you need them for
troubleshooting purposes.
Did you wait and give it time to boot?

I gave it lots of time, but it wouldn't boot - the strange lines stayed on the screen!
I hope somebody can come up with an explanation and help me correct the situation.
Thanks

"Raztax" <v_2todur@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:1117148422.515954.161880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> That text on the screen is normal when booting into safe mode. It's a
> list of drivers etc being loaded on startup in case you need them for
> troubleshooting purposes.
> Did you wait and give it time to boot?

The last line displayed should be the driver that hasn't loaded.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e2JbFAlYFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
John Hennings <hennings@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> I gave it lots of time, but it wouldn't boot - the strange lines stayed
> on the screen!
> I hope somebody can come up with an explanation and help me correct the
> situation.
> Thanks
>
> "Raztax" <v_2todur@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> That text on the screen is normal when booting into safe mode. It's a
>> list of drivers etc being loaded on startup in case you need them for
>> troubleshooting purposes.
>> Did you wait and give it time to boot?

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I agree with Raztax. you may have done something wrong but when the black
background with the driver names appear, you have to wait until the welcome
screen appears.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> The last line displayed should be the driver that hasn't loaded.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:e2JbFAlYFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> John Hennings <hennings@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I gave it lots of time, but it wouldn't boot - the strange lines stayed
> > on the screen!
> > I hope somebody can come up with an explanation and help me correct the
> > situation.
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Raztax" <v_2todur@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> >> That text on the screen is normal when booting into safe mode. It's a
> >> list of drivers etc being loaded on startup in case you need them for
> >> troubleshooting purposes.
> >> Did you wait and give it time to boot?

I didn't do it. And I'll never do it again! :-D

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CEEB5D9A-72FF-4528-8264-28E7F9244CC0@microsoft.com,
Max <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I agree with Raztax. you may have done something wrong but when the black
> background with the driver names appear, you have to wait until the
> welcome screen appears.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> The last line displayed should be the driver that hasn't loaded.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:e2JbFAlYFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> John Hennings <hennings@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I gave it lots of time, but it wouldn't boot - the strange lines stayed
>>> on the screen!
>>> I hope somebody can come up with an explanation and help me correct the
>>> situation.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> "Raztax" <v_2todur@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

No need to apologize for not having a sense of humor. This is a public
forum, so you basically have to take what you get. Although I would
like to point out that the MS-MVP in question DID give you a good piece
of advice.

I thought I asked a polite and serious question and was expecting a similar answer. But instead of trying to help, you guys (including an MS-MVP) apparently think it's funny to joke around and play games rather than helping people. Sorry I bothered you.

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> skrev i en meddelelse news:%230gP4WnYFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I didn't do it. And I'll never do it again! :-D
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:CEEB5D9A-72FF-4528-8264-28E7F9244CC0@microsoft.com,
> Max <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I agree with Raztax. you may have done something wrong but when the black
>> background with the driver names appear, you have to wait until the
>> welcome screen appears.
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> The last line displayed should be the driver that hasn't loaded.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:e2JbFAlYFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> John Hennings <hennings@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:

All seriousness aside...

Situations in Which Windows May Not Start in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199175

How To Troubleshoot the Video Adapter Driver in Safe Mode in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292460

I happened to think it was funny that Max accused me of doing something
wrong.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes