The Inq reporting that nV has not only abandoned the NV48, but the NV50 as well;

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20034" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20034</A>

I'm sure they have something else up their sleeve, but it will now likely come after the R5xx from ATI.

IF the R5xx has some dually technology, even nV's SLI GF6800Ultra won't keep up. Interesting, and I really do look forward to nV's response to ATI's R5xx release expected this spring/summer. Admittedly ATI needs the R5xx alot more than nV needs the NV50.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Well multi chip should be faster over, but it seems to be an issue of getting them to play nice. It really would've been nice and interesting to see the Sapphire R9800MAXX actually working to investigate things like the performance boost versus single chip, as well as the stability with drivers etc (somethin that plagues the XGI Volari DUO).

Theoretically the Dual chip should be faster, but prectically it may be best to make a single board do it's thing, and then simply to tell the game/drivers to tell each card what half (1/2 frame or alternate frames) to render, thus there is less PCB issues, you can make the fixes on the MOBO/SLI setup.

Anyways, I think that SLI is probably mor practical for now, but the future may be more geared to a maxx/duo solution as the chips get faster and are held back by waiting for each other through even a PCIe connection.

I think the biggest drawbacks for Dual Chip are the initial cost (no incremental option), and the potential to ruin 2 chips at once through a bad board configuration, etc. Whereas with SLI, it can be done independantly, buy one at a time, or RMA one to replace but still have the other so you can keep playing. With dual chip it's always going to involve both in an upgrade or repair situation.

We'll see. Either way big power considerations, unles 90nm offers some special power/heat benifits, and ATI and nV don't push those to max fom day 1.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: