Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 4, 2012 9:41:52 PM

I don't know what to do, so I came here to decide. I have a MacBook Pro 2011 (boot-camped so it runs Windows and MacOS), an Alienware M17x R4, and a recently built gaming build. I'm a college student, so I need something portable (which obviously isn't an Alienware laptop) but I love my Alienware. Why not use my desktop build? I keep getting a BSOD whenever I attempt to install Windows 7. The Alienware is already listed on eBay, although I'm tempted to change my mind. Any suggestions?

More about : stuck rock hard place

September 4, 2012 9:50:02 PM

What BSOD are you getting when trying to install?

Also, the Windows installer can be very weird. I had a problem several years ago with the Win7 installer because I had a flash drive plugged in. The installer thought it was my primary hard drive, and badness ensued. Sometimes you can fix complicated looking problems with stupidly easy solutions (like unplugging a flash drive).
m
0
l
September 4, 2012 11:08:00 PM

This may sound like a stupid question why isn't the alienware or macbook "portable"? I have a friend who brings an alien ware with him and another who brings his macbook to class. You are in college and an alienware machine is sweet. It may not look the most professional but it doesn't matter at school.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 1:04:54 AM

willard said:
What BSOD are you getting when trying to install?

Also, the Windows installer can be very weird. I had a problem several years ago with the Win7 installer because I had a flash drive plugged in. The installer thought it was my primary hard drive, and badness ensued. Sometimes you can fix complicated looking problems with stupidly easy solutions (like unplugging a flash drive).

Many random ones. If I don't get one error message, I get a different one. I install it on an SSD, and have an HDD as well.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 1:09:11 AM

jackspeed said:
This may sound like a stupid question why isn't the alienware or macbook "portable"? I have a friend who brings an alien ware with him and another who brings his macbook to class. You are in college and an alienware machine is sweet. It may not look the most professional but it doesn't matter at school.

Alienware is heavy and strictly meant for gaming. I rarely see anyone ever carrying Alienware's around with them. It's just awkward..
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2012 1:56:39 AM

Macbook - take to class

Alienware - use at your dorm/apartment
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 1:58:08 AM

photonboy said:
Macbook - take to class

Alienware - use at your dorm/apartment

But I have a desktop. It's just non-working at the moment. I don't really think I need three computers :p 
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 5:39:34 AM

squilly827 said:
Alienware is heavy and strictly meant for gaming. I rarely see anyone ever carrying Alienware's around with them. It's just awkward..


This is true but college campuses can be an exception.

Quote:
Macbook - take to class

Alienware - use at your dorm/apartment


Let me fix that for you

Macbook - take to class
Alienware - use at your friends dorm/apartment/lounge
Desktop- use at your dorm/apartment
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 6:20:31 AM

Or if i were you i'd just use the Alianware for everything.
It's not like you have to be ashamed of carrying an amazing laptop right?
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 1:36:31 PM

Kamen_BG said:
Or if i were you i'd just use the Alianware for everything.
It's not like you have to be ashamed of carrying an amazing laptop right?

I was thinking that... but I invested a lot into my desktop. And my cable management skills are awful. If I sold it on eBay, it wouldn't end well lol
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 4:36:42 PM

So then sell it to a friend or give it to a friend or use 3 computers

Or better yet give it to me. :-D
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2012 4:58:41 PM

If the desktop is giving you a blur screen.

Maybe you need to break it down to find the problem.

Have you ever had an operating system install on it without error?

Can you try to install with 1 stick of memory?

Have you tested the memory?
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Have you tried to reset the BIOS to factory defaults?

Full specs of this desktop please?
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 10:40:16 PM

nukemaster said:
If the desktop is giving you a blur screen.

Maybe you need to break it down to find the problem.

Have you ever had an operating system install on it without error?

Can you try to install with 1 stick of memory?

Have you tested the memory?
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Have you tried to reset the BIOS to factory defaults?

Full specs of this desktop please?

Not on this one.
Uhhmmm, haven't tried yet :p 
There's no way for me to test the memory, I can't download anything.
Yeah
It's Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz 8gb (two sticks)
Antec 900 Series Mid-tower case
PNY GeForce GTX 580
Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570k
Western Digital 500gb 7200rpm HDD
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
Corsair 750w PSU
Killer Xeno Network Card (helps with ping and wireless activity) - Ethernet only, not wireless.
Linksys AE2500 Wireless adapter
LG optical drive
Windows 7 Home Premium
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2012 11:03:35 PM

You can download the software, it is a bootable CD/DVD. Burn it on any system.

I recommend installing with anything not needed removed at first.

So keep

Board
Cpu
Video card
1 stick of memory and set it to 1333 9,9,9,24 @ 1.5 volts for now
The SSD you are installing windows on.
DVD drive.

so pull/disconnect
HDD
Both network cards.
Any other un-needed usb devices.

See if you can get any farther.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 11:55:34 PM

nukemaster said:
You can download the software, it is a bootable CD/DVD. Burn it on any system.

I recommend installing with anything not needed removed at first.

So keep

Board
Cpu
Video card
1 stick of memory and set it to 1333 9,9,9,24 @ 1.5 volts for now
The SSD you are installing windows on.
DVD drive.

so pull/disconnect
HDD
Both network cards.
Any other un-needed usb devices.

See if you can get any farther.

How would I change the memory frequency?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 6, 2012 12:47:56 AM

You set the memory frequency from the bios.

For gigabyte boards i think it is under motherboard intelligent tweaker.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 2:07:37 PM

nukemaster said:
You set the memory frequency from the bios.

For gigabyte boards i think it is under motherboard intelligent tweaker.

So far, things are going well. I'm not getting an error during installation, but I'm stuck at "Completing Installation" -_-
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 2:18:03 PM

It just keeps getting worse. Installed it again, did an automatic restart, got a blue screen when booting with a message "PROCESS1_INITILIZATION_FAILED" and stop error 0x00000006b.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 6, 2012 2:49:16 PM

In the bios, what kind of temperatures are you getting?

It may still be worth burning memtest86+ on another system just to be sure the ram is working well. Memtest86+ should be run overnight.
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 2:53:20 PM

This is a "good" sign. Got another Blue Screen. Labeled: "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" STOP error: 0x0000001A
m
0
l
!