windows explorer wont launch

My friend cant launch windows explorer or control panel at all. Whenever
you try to open an explorer windows (My Computer for instance),
explorer crashes, pops up that error message saying it has encountered a
problem, send report, cancel, and then refreshes my desktop. It does work
okay in safe mode though.

I have virus scannned with norton and trojan hunter, macafee stinger, cws
shredder etc and removed a bunch of stuff.

I ran sfc scannow without problems.
Any suggestions welcolmed.

Try a repair or 'upgrade' setup.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"superfly75017" <superfly75017NOSPAMPLEASE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42966dd2$0$1980$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-05.noos.net...
> My friend cant launch windows explorer or control panel at all. Whenever you try to open an explorer windows (My Computer for
> instance),
> explorer crashes, pops up that error message saying it has encountered a
> problem, send report, cancel, and then refreshes my desktop. It does work okay in safe mode though.
>
> I have virus scannned with norton and trojan hunter, macafee stinger, cws shredder etc and removed a bunch of stuff.
>
> I ran sfc scannow without problems.
> Any suggestions welcolmed.

Its a dell with an OEM CD that might be missing! What are the best options?

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try a repair or 'upgrade' setup.
>
> If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of
> the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into a setup loop,
> and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup
> from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to Perform a
> Windows XP Repair Install:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "superfly75017" <superfly75017NOSPAMPLEASE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My friend cant launch windows explorer or control panel at all. Whenever
>> you try to open an explorer windows (My Computer for instance),
>> explorer crashes, pops up that error message saying it has encountered a
>> problem, send report, cancel, and then refreshes my desktop. It does work
>> okay in safe mode though.
>>
>> I have virus scannned with norton and trojan hunter, macafee stinger, cws
>> shredder etc and removed a bunch of stuff.
>>
>> I ran sfc scannow without problems.
>> Any suggestions welcolmed.

Dell disks can do the repair. Get a replacement disk from Dell.