Can't install several diff programs

Hi guys. A friend's pc can't install many programs (some game demos from a Creative cd, 3dmark03-01 and some others). He gets an error about the installer being "corrupt and can't be unpacked" and the process finishes, he says he could install Unreal 2 though. I've never seen that before, any ideas? Thanks in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about install diff programs
  1. Could be the early signs of a failing hard drive or bad IDE cable. If he's having trouble installing things from CD as well, it *could* be a failing motherboard. That's mostly worst-cast scenario though. I'd check for virii and redownload those programs, to start.
  2. Thanks for answering. the thing is that it happens both from cd's and downloaded files. Now here's a strange thing, he dloaded a code creatures demo and th efirst time we got an error upon install, then we launched it again to copy the error, and it installed fine, what can I say. I left memtest86 running on his machine and he'll do a scandisk, hopefully one of those will throw something
  3. I would check for IDE cable. Maybe loose connection, wrong type of cable (ata66 cable in an ata100/133 interface) or simply bad connector

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
  4. Post deleted by alejandrolanza
  5. Yep. He could have a broken connector. That happen when you unplug the cable from the drive. So, anything that has to go by this wire may suffer corruption.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP