Applications No Longer Run in Win XP

I am trying to repair my mother-in-law's PC, with no success. I got a
message that stated there was a problem with the Active Desktop. Click on
this button to restore the active desktop. I click on the button and nothing
happens. My standard background is replaced by a tan background that
intermittently flashes.

Additionally, I can no longer run any applications on this PC. I was able to
boot from my Norton SystemWorks CD and run various utilities. No luck. I was
able to do a safe mode boot and run SFC /scannow, no luck. I have scanned
for viruses, no luck. I am stumped.

I am trying to avoid having to reformat and reload XP. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Andrew in Kansas City

Andrew, if you were able to get into Safe Mode try a System Restore from
there. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.
"Andrew Perl" <aperl1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to repair my mother-in-law's PC, with no success. I got a
>message that stated there was a problem with the Active Desktop. Click on
>this button to restore the active desktop. I click on the button and
>nothing happens. My standard background is replaced by a tan background
>that intermittently flashes.
>
> Additionally, I can no longer run any applications on this PC. I was able
> to boot from my Norton SystemWorks CD and run various utilities. No luck.
> I was able to do a safe mode boot and run SFC /scannow, no luck. I have
> scanned for viruses, no luck. I am stumped.
>
> I am trying to avoid having to reformat and reload XP. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Andrew in Kansas City

Unfortunately, I have not had any success with this. Every time I tried this
the PC tells me there are no restore points. It is looking more and more
like I will have to reformat and reload.... oh well!

Thanks.