DirectX 9.0c

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I got my new BFG 6800GT about 3weeks ago. I installed everything and ran everything without problems. I even downloaded 3dmark05 to see what $400 really got me. And with dialup 288MB is a rediculous file to DL. Anyway.....My buddy has a laptop and i wanted to see how good the ATI 9700Mobile was compared to my card. So i first set off to run the program on my computer, and it came up saying direct3dcreate failed.

Well that was funny, i had run the program several times but never wrote my score down. So i know it worked. I went to futuremark to see whats going on. They had that exact thing in there FAQ. It said to make sure that directX9.0c and the latest drivers are installed.

I used the 66.93 driver that i had downloaded and used when i installed my card and i tryed to install DirectX9.0c off of the disk that came with my card.

The disk said something like 'didn't copy required file' and so i tryed to download the directX9.0c online. Again it said the same thing from the downloaded version.

At this point i have completely removed my video card drivers, used Detonator R.I.P., and reinstalled the newest drivers back on and tryed to get direct X 9.0c on without being able to. What am i doing wrong?

I would prefer to fix this and not have to reformat my HDD and start over. but if that is what needs to be done, i can give it a go.

Please give me some ideas, thanx.

The streakbreaker....

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Do you have XP SP2 ? If not, get that first.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

Do a search at Microsoft's website for that problem. I had problems with DX 9.0C and SP2 installing correctly. After searching and finding the problem there, I had to delete a few registry entries and a couple of files, and it re-installed cleanly. No more problems.

<font color=blue> Did you know that 89.72% of all quoted statistics are false? </font color=blue>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
SP2 includes DX9c. You dont need to install it seperately. Mine works fine.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
No SP2. I have dial-up and so the freakinly huge file isn't exactly easy to download.

Also i hear problems about it updating itself and that its best to slipstream it. Why can't i just send Microsoft or someone my copy of Windows XP Home SP1 and they send me a disk with SP2?

So service pack 2 has 9.0c? I might have to break down and spend the time DL'ing that.

The streakbreaker....

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
order it for free drom their website. they'll send you sp2. install it, slipstream it, do anything then.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I know i can do that, but i dont want to make a slipstream CD, thats just a pain in my arse.

I want to send my Windows Home XP SP1 CD to a magical place where it returns to me as a fully working SP2 Version.
Like if my CD went through a Bar Mitzvah and came back to me a man.

The streakbreaker....

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
but you can install sp2 over your current version. why do you want to slipstream it anyways?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I have downloaded ~700 to 700+ mb files with 33.6k dial-up

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
How old were you when you started that download ? And how old are you now ? :lol: :tongue:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
hahah!!

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I know i can DL it and install it without slipstream. but i thought people saiod they ran into problems....small ones....doing that and the slipstreamed version was better.

Aslo i am going to have to reinstall windows soon anyway because i need to flush out all the crap that i dont use.

I just want life to be easy.

The streakbreaker....

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
So just because you did something rediculous i am supposed to follow suit?

I know its not huge, i DL'ed 3Dmark05 which was 288MB...and the windows update is only 80MB.

I *COULD* DL it, but i dont want it to mess up the settings of things. I am fighting small arse problems as it is.

The streakbreaker....

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
As much as a pain in the ass as it is, its probably easier for you to reinstall your OS, since you are going to do it anyways.

In which case you need to D/L and install all the updates anyways.

What I suggest in a case like that is to download all the windows updates in their executable format (these can be found on M$ website) and save them to a CD, along with all the latest motherboard and chipset and graphics card drivers, that way everything is on one handy CD for you. I realize this will take a while, but once done, you don't have to do it again until you upgrade and have to get new and different drivers.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Since i am going to re-install Windows soon (within a month or two) anyway i wanted to get a disk with the full version of windows and has SP2 already in it. Like the one i have now with SP1 already on the disk. People talk about slipstreaming it so i never have to do that again but thats a giant pain in the butt.

I just hope re-installing windows fixes my problems because its a HUGE task backing up everything if it doesn't

The streakbreaker....