lost icons, only wallpaper is visible

May 27, 2005 1:48:01 AM

My computer is suddenly extremely slow during start-up and shutdown, and when
it does eventually start-up the wallpaper is the only thing that is visible.
I can access the task manager (by ctrl, alt, delete) and there are processes
running, but nothing shows. (Windows XP is my operating system on my dell
dimension.)

I believe the program stems from an ad-aware program that I ran previously
in the day, as it deleted too much i'm afraid.

While trying to restart my computer, on one occassion the icons eventually
showed up and the taskbar appeared as if it was from windows 98 and I could
still not access the internet, the computer was just as slow and it was
evident that a problem was still in existence.

Anyone have any suggestions???
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:26:44 AM

Try tapping F8 repeatedly on next startup until you get a Menu. Select
Safe Mode. From safe mode go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System
Tools>System Restore. Do a Restore.
"grabill4" <grabill4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is suddenly extremely slow during start-up and shutdown, and
> when
> it does eventually start-up the wallpaper is the only thing that is
> visible.
> I can access the task manager (by ctrl, alt, delete) and there are
> processes
> running, but nothing shows. (Windows XP is my operating system on my dell
> dimension.)
>
> I believe the program stems from an ad-aware program that I ran previously
> in the day, as it deleted too much i'm afraid.
>

> While trying to restart my computer, on one occassion the icons eventually
> showed up and the taskbar appeared as if it was from windows 98 and I
> could
> still not access the internet, the computer was just as slow and it was
> evident that a problem was still in existence.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions???
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:40:19 AM

Not sure where you are at now. But if you cannot get WinXP to load up
properly and you have a WinXP CD you can
perform a Repair Install. Check here
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm Pay close attention
Step # 3.

!