FPS Problem: 9600XT

havax

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Hey everyone.

I have a ATI 128MB9600XT, 2.6GHz P4, 1GBDDR RAM system that I built myself.

I play Call of Duty very competively, and I am getting really bad FPS from my card. I am getting on average: 40 FPS in game, where it spikes commonly anywhere from 25 FPS to 80 FPS. I know people with the same exact card easily getting in the hundreds. I don't know what is wrong.

My game settings is at 800x600, and medium details, and my card is running at 8X AGP. I have Overdrive checked on.

Can anyone begin to tell me what to start to do to boost my FPS? Thanks.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
online or single-player gaming ???
anything runnig in the background ??? eg firewall, antivirus, browser sessions etc...

what driver versions for gfx card, mainboard, dx version ???
is the card running at full AGP or in PCI compatability mode ???
is it just CoD or other games ???

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

cleeve

Illustrious
With or without AA and AF?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Have you ran these tests Single player mode? Onling gamming will generate a slower FPS in CoD since net speeds will play a huge roll in the FPS. Altering the nettrans in the game could give you more FPS if it is not alligned properly.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

havax

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
"online or single-player gaming ???"
>Both. Plus, a lot of guys that play online with my same card get great FPS (over 100 all the time)

"anything runnig in the background ???"
>Norton Anti-Virus. I get fantastic pings, usually under 50. I don't run that much else in the background that would slow it down, as I close everything unecessary before gaming.

"what driver versions for gfx card, mainboard, dx version ???"
>Just installed brand new ATI drivers - no difference in FPS. Factory driver version for MoBo (will update later, I know this isn't A big problem right now for this gfx conflict). DX9b i think. I know it is 9.

"is the card running at full AGP or in PCI compatability mode ???"
>I don't know, show me how to check and make sure I have it set right. I am not sure what you are talking about. I haven't really messed with my cards settings at all after the install.

"is it just CoD or other games ???"
>All games. Same deal in HL2/CS:Source.

"With or without AA and AF?"
>I am not sure. I think it is saying Application Preference for AA. I don't know what AF is. Where do I check to see the configurations fo these two things? How do I configure them?

I am not entirely sure, but I think my card has dropped in performance over time. I started off with no problems, but recently I have taken more notice to FPS and performance things, and this might be the reason for me thinking it is slowing down in performance. However, I have just noticed a loud sound generating from my MoBo fan. It is loud and annoying. This has happened recently, and I have opened the case up and verified that the fan is making a loud, and unusual noise. It seems to still be spinning fine. I even cleaned out all the dust in it.

Could that be a factor?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Havax on 12/06/04 10:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
Well, it would be a little more helpful to know what motherboard ya' got. But, to make sure you are in full agp mode, you need to go into the bios, you usually press F1 or the Delete key to enter the bios. You do this at the boot up screen. Just hold one of those keys right after windows shuts down. There should be an option in the bios that says something like Advanced Chipset Features and thats where it's located on all my motherboards. Just make sure that AGP mode is enabled and PCI mode is disabled. To make the changes, just highlight with the arrow keys, and use the Plus or minus (+ -) keys to make the necessary adjustments. You might also check to see if your MOBO has AGP 4x or 8x available. Maybe your mobo has 4x only, but that usually doesnt make a huge diff going from 4x to 8x, but I would check it out anyway.

<i> If the creator of the human body is "The Ultimate Engineer", why did he put a recreation site right next to a waste treatment area? </i>