formatting

I would like to format a DVD-RW on my PC with Windows XP. The DVD burner is a
SONY DVD RW DW-U14A. When I go to explorerselct the DVD path and click
(righthand) on the mouse onto the DVD rewriter icon, the menu is not showing
Format. buring DVD-R and DVD+R is not a problem
2 answers Last reply
More about formatting

    Rudy,

    I'm not a 100% certain on this so I could be wrong but I don't think this
    feature is available for DVD's as standard. On my laptop I am running Sonic
    DLA which allows me to do what you are trying to do, but on a couple of other
    machines around me that have DVD burners and the software that came with them
    installed this feature is not there.

    Take a look at the following for more information:

    Courtesy of Alex Nichol - MVP:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    Steve

    "rudy" wrote:

    > I would like to format a DVD-RW on my PC with Windows XP. The DVD burner is a
    > SONY DVD RW DW-U14A. When I go to explorerselct the DVD path and click
    > (righthand) on the mouse onto the DVD rewriter icon, the menu is not showing
    > Format. buring DVD-R and DVD+R is not a problem

    Hi,

    WindowsXP does not support formatting optical media natively, you need third
    party software for that. What it does do is "erase", but I believe that only
    applies to CD media, not DVD.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "rudy" <rudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to format a DVD-RW on my PC with Windows XP. The DVD burner is
    > SONY DVD RW DW-U14A. When I go to explorerselct the DVD path and click
    > (righthand) on the mouse onto the DVD rewriter icon, the menu is not
    > showing
    > Format. buring DVD-R and DVD+R is not a problem

Windows XP