Closed

Help with Bluetooth on Windows 7

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Devices
  • Bluetooth
Last response: in Windows 7
September 6, 2009 4:28:56 PM

I recently bought a logitech mx5000 keyboard from a garage sale, however, I don't have the rf dongle that came with it so I decided to connect via bluetooth. I have a D-link DBT-120 rev A1 dongle which has worked great for me in the past, however, I can't get the drivers to install.

By default windows labels it a "generic bluetooth device" and then puts a flag next to it with an error code 43.

I tried installing the widcomm drivers for 7 from their site but the installation hangs when it says "please plug in or turn on your device now..."

I have my device plugged in and I even uninstall the useless "generic drivers" before I start the program but no luck.

I also did pick up a dongle from the sale I thought went with the keyboard (and it even comes up as RF combo device in device manager), however, I'm not sure what it goes to.

Only markings are the logo of a little guy running and the model number: TSHG-2402

Any help is appreciated, as I've already spent too much time trying to figure this one out...

Oh yea, I did enable bluetooth in services :-)

More about : bluetooth windows

a c 423 $ Windows 7
September 7, 2009 12:51:28 PM

try the drivers for windows 7 on the broadcom site!
Score
September 7, 2009 3:20:00 PM

Alright, first I tried the D-Link drivers on the site but got an error message:

"Your WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software license does not include use on this operating system.[-350]"

This was even with every possible combination of compatibility mode.

Next I tried the 7 drivers I got off this site:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

and ran those (not in compatibility mode) and the setup starts then hangs on the first step when it can't detect the bluetooth dongle.

It says "Please plug in or turn on your Bluetooth device"... but I've tried every usb port... all the same

I think this happens because windows gives it a code 43 right when I plug it in (because it's missing drivers) and then this program which installs drivers can't find it... stupid infinite loops lol

Any other ideas are appreciated.

I think what I need to do is find a way to force drivers (64 bit windows 7 compatible) on before I plug it in... then maybe windows will not disable it right away with a code 43... but I can't find where those drivers might be...

man is this frustrating...
Score
Related resources
a c 423 $ Windows 7
September 8, 2009 2:06:23 AM

try the azio mini on newegg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
September 8, 2009 2:47:33 AM

Thanks, I'm looking at it right now and I might bite the bullet for $15...

Aside: I read this in a review and laughed...

"Windows 7 was designed with bluetooth connectivity in mind, so it should work well with most devices."

My dongle is 2.0EDR USB 2.0 ... not that old and it will not work for anything...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2009 4:15:24 AM

Try installing Vista drivers instead. Try them in native mode first and then try Vista compatibility mode if they don't work at first.
Score
September 8, 2009 4:28:57 AM

Ok, I called tech support and they say the dongle is too old to support 7 so I guess that ends it :-(

I tried xp drivers, vista drivers... everything. If the drivers installed they did not see the device. if they didn't install ...well they just didnt lol

I got 64bit Toshiba drivers working but they do not see the device and device manager looks like this:

Bluetooth:
-Bluetooth RFCOMM

Bluetooth Radios:
-Generic Bluetooth Adapter

if only I could get the darn adapter to show up under "Bluetooth"...
Score
October 16, 2009 2:48:50 PM

this is absolutely frustrating!!!
i have the same problem! the Broadcom bluetooth software download stops on the "detect bluetooth device" and asks to turn it on or plugging it in! while its actually plugged in!! :S:S:S
Score
October 16, 2009 3:50:35 PM

Just to bring closure... I bought a $2.34 (with free shipping) dongle off of DealExtreme and it works great... plug and play like it should have been all along.

My advise is don't waste time with it... I tried almost every stack available and no luck. Just grab a new dongle for cheap and your good to go :-)
Score
October 30, 2009 12:28:05 PM

I bought a cheap dungle from dealextreme generic bluetooth and it not work...

I have an Azio bluetooth dungle from newegg works fine.

But my probleme are not that it's there we are no driver for any headset in windows 7!!!!

Motorola S9 !! NO DRIVER
Motorola H680 !! NO DRIVER
Altec Lansing !! NO DRIVER

I have all these bluetooth headset and no one works!

realy not too old,

I use the H680 for play game like in playstation 3 for voice communication in teamspeak.
The best way for get a 5.1 suround without friends voices in speakers.

I use the S9 or Altec for liscen music with remote fonction.

All works very well in Vista, why not win7...
Score
October 30, 2009 2:49:33 PM

Actually, while I had Windows 7 RC on my machine (64-bit), I had used the Broadcom drivers from the http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php site without any problems - this gave me the ability to stream audio to my Bluetooth stereo headphones.

Now that I have installed Win 7 RTM 64-bit, the Broadcom install gives me the aforementioned "Please plug in or turn on your Bluetooth device" message. Haven't yet figured it out.

I noticed on the Broadcom site that they mention it is compatible with "Windows 7 (RC), Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 operating system", but it does not indicate it is compatible with Windows 7 RTM. I had heard that Microsoft has their own streaming audio technology coming out, so I wonder if they have deliberately crippled the bluetooth audio. Call me paranoid, but crazier things have happened.
Score
November 2, 2009 12:47:56 AM

Hey! I got it working!
I am running a HP Pavilion DV6907 laptop, which is NOT on HP's "HP notebook series supported with Windows 7" list.

What I did was I Google'd to find a HP laptop that DID work with Windows 7, and had Bluetooth capability.
What I found was the "HP Compaq 6730b". When I went to the HP site and searched for Windows 7 drivers for that machine, I spotted the Bluetooth drivers ("Software Support for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology for Microsoft Windows 7")

I tried it and it worked!

Now everything seems to be running perfectly.

But I gotta say - it was not exactly easy. Wonder if this is going to dissuade users... ?
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2010 5:32:00 AM

Steverino,

You are awesome. I'm running an HP dv9500z, and was having the SAME problem. You're a genius. A million thanks!
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 18, 2010 1:48:34 AM

steverino said:
Hey! I got it working!
I am running a HP Pavilion DV6907 laptop, which is NOT on HP's "HP notebook series supported with Windows 7" list.

What I did was I Google'd to find a HP laptop that DID work with Windows 7, and had Bluetooth capability.
What I found was the "HP Compaq 6730b". When I went to the HP site and searched for Windows 7 drivers for that machine, I spotted the Bluetooth drivers ("Software Support for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology for Microsoft Windows 7")

But I gotta say - it was not exactly easy. Wonder if this is going to dissuade users... ?

Good thinking Steverino!
:bounce: 

That was the trick, wish I had thought of that. HP doesn't put all the available drivers for the tx2z, so I had resorted to that method, taking drivers from other pages, to get my windows 7 up and running.
:hello: 
Score
April 14, 2010 2:49:59 AM

I had difficulty getting the bluetooth driver to install on Windows 7 Professional RTM on a Dell Inspirion 1521. The latest driver that Dell provides is for Windows Vista. Upon install, it prompts you to enable the bluetooth radio with the switch or Fn+F2. Neither work of course. I attempted to run the setup.exe that was extracted, which told me that it only runs on Windows Vista. BTW, this internal bluetooth adapter is a Dell Truemobile 355 bluetooth card. As a final attempt before looking for drivers elsewhere, I ran the inst.exe file, which prompted for the Fn+F2 option, but canceling did not cancel the install. I ended up with a bluetooth icon in the system tray. I right-clicked to enable bluetooth and the bluetooth light on my laptop lit up. YAY!

Bluetooth driver download from Dell was called R140135.exe. The Inst.exe is located here:
C:\dell\drivers\R140135\3100_216\Win32\Inst.exe

I hope this helps somebody. :) 
Score
May 3, 2010 7:41:21 AM

jaylweb said:
I had difficulty getting the bluetooth driver to install on Windows 7 Professional RTM on a Dell Inspirion 1521. The latest driver that Dell provides is for Windows Vista. Upon install, it prompts you to enable the bluetooth radio with the switch or Fn+F2. Neither work of course. I attempted to run the setup.exe that was extracted, which told me that it only runs on Windows Vista. BTW, this internal bluetooth adapter is a Dell Truemobile 355 bluetooth card. As a final attempt before looking for drivers elsewhere, I ran the inst.exe file, which prompted for the Fn+F2 option, but canceling did not cancel the install. I ended up with a bluetooth icon in the system tray. I right-clicked to enable bluetooth and the bluetooth light on my laptop lit up. YAY!

Bluetooth driver download from Dell was called R140135.exe. The Inst.exe is located here:
C:\dell\drivers\R140135\3100_216\Win32\Inst.exe

I hope this helps somebody. :) 

Thank jaylweb. I did it. I downloaded file "R140135.exe" from Dell's path "http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R140135.exe". In path "C:\dell\drivers\R140135\3100_216", you can see file "Autorurn.inf". Right click the mouse and choose "Install". After that, go to the folder win32 or win64 depend on your operating system. To me, I choose 32bit for my Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I go to the path "C:\dell\drivers\R140135\3100_216\Win32" and excute the file "Inst.exe". When it's proceeding, may be you can't put the bluetooth on. But when it completed, you can see a bluetooth device's icon in hidden icon in the right of below taskbar. Point the mouse to this icon, right click mouse and choose "Turn Adapter On". Oh my god, I dit it. And you too.
Score
May 20, 2010 3:43:47 PM

D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth Adapter on Windows 7 64-bit

The Vista 64-bit drivers seems to work ok for Win 7.

Doing a product search at www.dlink.com for DBT-120 shows the main product page. In right-hand box on this page there is a Support Resources link, click this and 4 products are displayed:-

DBT-120
DBT-120_REVB3
DBT-120_REVB4
DBT-120_REVC

Only the REVC link provides a driver for Win Vista 64-bit.

Alternatively go directly to
http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DBT-120&rev=DBT-120_revC

Note although this was for the Rev C version of the adaptor, mine is a Rev B and the drivers seem to work fine with it.

Click the "Drivers" link. Download the driver marked Win2K,WinXP,Vista32,Vista64 date 3/30/2009 version 6.30.02

The driver file name is: dbt120_revC_drivers_63002.zip

The FTP download requires user/password, just use anonymous/guest.

Extract the Zip, then run the Setup.exe found in the v63002_20090129 sub-folder. This should detect and run the correct sub-setup to run, e.g. the x64/setup.exe.

Give it time to detect and install everything.
After a reboot it was able to search for neighbouring BT devices.

Only problem is it seems to be an evalution copy, and mentions an evaluation period of 30-days, so not sure what will happen when that expires!
Jim
Score
August 21, 2010 6:35:25 PM

steverino said:
Hey! I got it working!

Steverino, thanks a lot! I used these drivers to get my cheap $3 bluetooth adapter from Deal Extreme working on my Dell Precision M4500. However, I didn't install any software. I had to go install the drivers manually through Device Manager- but go one step further- choose the option for "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer." This allows you to override any drivers Windows already has installed and claims that they are already up-to-date.
(you should already have the HP drivers extracted by now). Choose "Have Disk" and browse to "C:\SWSetup\SP44774\Win64\brcmWin7", or your version of Windows. Windows will read those .inf files and then list some bluetooth devices. I chose the "Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR USB Device" because it seemed the most generic. Windows installed the drivers and was successful. I reseated the adapter and Windows detected it as CSR Bluetooth Radio again (which scared me) but the drivers installed correctly and it is still working :D 
One note on the Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR choice. This may definitely be the best choice for someone will a Dell built-in bluetooth device. I remember the bluetooth device that is in my D630 was listed like this in Device Manager when it was installed.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2010 8:28:58 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!