That dreaded NLTDR

A 6 month old P2.8 with a P4800-E Deluxe MOBO suddenly has refused to boot.
When my computer tries to boot, I get 'NTLDR is Missing'

On hitting Return, I then get -

err 5: error finding v floppy.sys
err8: fake floppy driver not found

The only thing out of the ordinary I've done is run Trend Micro - HouseCall
the other day.
The PC is fully protected & I run SpyBot regularly.

I have a feeling something has changed the BIOS; the only way I can get it
running is use F8 on boot-up, which gives me a drop-down screen of all my
drives. I then select the C-drive & it boots fine.

What on earth is 'fake floppy driver' (which seems to be the reason why the
PC spits the dummy when it can't find it) & does anyone have an idea what
caused this & how to rectify it?

--
johnf
5 answers Last reply

    You Receive an NTLDR Is Missing Error Message When You Start Your Computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397&Product=winxp

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message news:ef0HMErYFHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >A 6 month old P2.8 with a P4800-E Deluxe MOBO suddenly has refused to boot.
    > When my computer tries to boot, I get 'NTLDR is Missing'
    >
    > On hitting Return, I then get -
    >
    > err 5: error finding v floppy.sys
    > err8: fake floppy driver not found
    >
    > The only thing out of the ordinary I've done is run Trend Micro - HouseCall the other day.
    > The PC is fully protected & I run SpyBot regularly.
    >
    > I have a feeling something has changed the BIOS; the only way I can get it running is use F8 on boot-up, which gives me a
    > drop-down screen of all my drives. I then select the C-drive & it boots fine.
    >
    > What on earth is 'fake floppy driver' (which seems to be the reason why the PC spits the dummy when it can't find it) & does
    > anyone have an idea what caused this & how to rectify it?
    >

    > --
    > johnf

    Thanks, Mark, but my PC is 25 miles away at the moment & I wanted to glean
    as much info as possible before I go home.

    My main query should have been (I suppose) is what is this "fake floppy"
    it's appears to be looking for when checking drives, but cannot find?
    That seems to be the root of the problem.

    --
    johnf

    > You Receive an NTLDR Is Missing Error Message When You Start Your
    > Computer:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397&Product=winxp
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > marfers notes for windows xp
    > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm .
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> A 6 month old P2.8 with a P4800-E Deluxe MOBO suddenly has refused to
    >> boot. When my computer tries to boot, I get 'NTLDR is Missing'
    >>
    >> On hitting Return, I then get -
    >>
    >> err 5: error finding v floppy.sys
    >> err8: fake floppy driver not found
    >>
    >> The only thing out of the ordinary I've done is run Trend Micro -
    >> HouseCall the other day. The PC is fully protected & I run SpyBot
    >> regularly.
    >>
    >> I have a feeling something has changed the BIOS; the only way I can
    >> get it running is use F8 on boot-up, which gives me a drop-down screen
    >> of all my drives. I then select the C-drive & it boots fine. What on
    >> earth is 'fake floppy driver' (which seems to be the reason
    >> why the PC spits the dummy when it can't find it) & does anyone have
    >> an idea what caused this & how to rectify it? --
    >> johnf

    Here's a link to look at..
    http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34547&subsectionid=718&subsubsectionid=562

    http://www.webservertalk.com/archive283-2004-11-462765.html

    | Thanks, Mark, but my PC is 25 miles away at the moment & I wanted to
    glean
    | as much info as possible before I go home.
    |
    | My main query should have been (I suppose) is what is this "fake
    floppy"
    | it's appears to be looking for when checking drives, but cannot
    find?
    | That seems to be the root of the problem.
    |

    | --
    | johnf
    |
    | > You Receive an NTLDR Is Missing Error Message When You Start Your
    | > Computer:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397&Product=winxp

    | > --
    | >
    | > Mark L. Ferguson
    | > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    | > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    | > marfers notes for windows xp
    | > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm .
    | > "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    | >> A 6 month old P2.8 with a P4800-E Deluxe MOBO suddenly has
    refused to
    | >> boot. When my computer tries to boot, I get 'NTLDR is Missing'
    | >>
    | >> On hitting Return, I then get -
    | >>
    | >> err 5: error finding v floppy.sys
    | >> err8: fake floppy driver not found
    | >>
    | >> The only thing out of the ordinary I've done is run Trend Micro -
    | >> HouseCall the other day. The PC is fully protected & I run SpyBot
    | >> regularly.
    | >>
    | >> I have a feeling something has changed the BIOS; the only way I
    can
    | >> get it running is use F8 on boot-up, which gives me a drop-down
    screen
    | >> of all my drives. I then select the C-drive & it boots fine. What
    on
    | >> earth is 'fake floppy driver' (which seems to be the reason
    | >> why the PC spits the dummy when it can't find it) & does anyone
    have
    | >> an idea what caused this & how to rectify it? --
    | >> johnf

    Thanks Ricky, I'm running DI2002 and will check that one out.
    This happened shortly after d'loading the latest Critical Update -
    coincidence?

    --
    johnf

    > Here's a link to look at..
    > http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34547&subsectionid=718&subsubsectionid=562
    >
    > http://www.webservertalk.com/archive283-2004-11-462765.html
    >
    > "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Mark, but my PC is 25 miles away at the moment & I wanted to
    >> glean as much info as possible before I go home.
    >>
    >> My main query should have been (I suppose) is what is this "fake
    >> floppy" it's appears to be looking for when checking drives, but
    >> cannot find? That seems to be the root of the problem.
    >>

    >> --
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> You Receive an NTLDR Is Missing Error Message When You Start Your
    >>> Computer:
    >>>
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397&Product=winxp
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Mark L. Ferguson
    >>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >>> marfers notes for windows xp
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm .
    >>> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message

    John it is possible to make an XP boot floppy disc with the key boot files
    on them. A reboot with such a disc loads the boot files from the floppy then
    switches to the hard drive to finalise the boot process. If this cures your
    boot issues you can then reinstall these files manually to your hard drive.
    The best way to create such a disc is to access another workable XP machine
    and follow these instructions.

    On the workable XP machine format a floppy (it must be formatted on the XP
    machine)copy the following files from your C: drive to the disk, Boot.ini,
    NTLDR and Ntdetect.com. They are hidden operating system files on the root
    C: directory, to display them under Folder Options select the view tab and
    enabled Show hidden files and folders and disable Hide protected operating
    system files, they will then be visible, copy them to the formatted floppy.
    A corrupted system will simply load these files from the A: drive and then
    load the OS as normal. The missing/corrupted files can then be simply copied
    back to the C: drive. Hope this sorts it.

    Linden

    > Thanks Ricky, I'm running DI2002 and will check that one out.
    > This happened shortly after d'loading the latest Critical Update -
    > coincidence?
    >

    > --
    > johnf
    >
    >> Here's a link to look at..
    >> http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34547&subsectionid=718&subsubsectionid=562
    >>
    >> http://www.webservertalk.com/archive283-2004-11-462765.html
    >>
    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks, Mark, but my PC is 25 miles away at the moment & I wanted to
    >>> glean as much info as possible before I go home.
    >>>
    >>> My main query should have been (I suppose) is what is this "fake
    >>> floppy" it's appears to be looking for when checking drives, but
    >>> cannot find? That seems to be the root of the problem.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> johnf

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397&Product=winxp

Floppy Disk Boot Windows XP