Windows crashes when connected to VPN service

Hi,

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, and whenever I connect to a local VPN
service Windows crashes - either immediately once connected, or in a short
space of time, forcing me to reboot my computer. I have tried uninstalling
McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and also disabling Windows Firewall but this
seems to make no difference. I would be very grateful if anyone had any ideas
or could help me out?!

Many thanks,
Steve Evans

In article <1C04E573-D81A-4959-AA62-5708F3453DF4@microsoft.com>,
SteveEvans@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hi,
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, and whenever I connect to a local VPN
> service Windows crashes - either immediately once connected, or in a short
> space of time, forcing me to reboot my computer. I have tried uninstalling
> McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and also disabling Windows Firewall but this
> seems to make no difference. I would be very grateful if anyone had any ideas
> or could help me out?!

What type of internet connection do you have?

If you have DSL/Cable, and you've disabled your firewalls, and you have
Windows File/Printer Sharing installed, then you may have been
compromised. It only takes a few minutes to be compromised on a
unprotected system.

If you get a router that does NAT, you can avoid much of the bad stuff
that tries to compromise your system, and your firewall software won't
make much difference.

So, does the computer crash any other time, when not using the VPN?

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Yes I am using a NAT router, but also use McAfee Firewall to protect my
computer, with Windows Firewall disabled. I have only temporarily disabled
firewalls to see if they are conflicting with the VPN. When not connected to
VPN my computer does not crash - it only freezes when connected to the VPN.

Incidentally, the VPN still crashes Windows even with the firewall disabled.