Thanks!! Clean Install

Thanks to those of you "regulars" who gave advice to me in my recent
struggle with my wife's compromised Dell Dimension 4500S XP machine.

I backed up all of the data. It took nearly two weeks for someone to come
up with a workable method of backing up the Outlook Express address book and
messages, but it finally appeared.

The machine fought me to th bitter end. It didn't want to "format c:" from
any place. I eventually cracked its stubborn code and got underway.

Everything went reasonably smooth. I used my oem disk, followed by the SP2
diskthat I received a few days earlier. This was follwed up by the 24 meg
"update" to SP2. Why can't MS ship CURRENT disks?? When I had that set
installed I loaded Norton which, of course, needed 20 megs of updates.

I followed that with reloading the various applications. I noticed some
strange goings on during application loading. Applications seemed to take
many minutes to get "settled in". Software for my printer-fax-copier was
not happy, so I uninstalled it and subsequently reinstalled and everything
works fine now.

MS seems to go out of its way to make sure corel software is incompatible
with XP, so I had to buy a new edition of the corel office suite. Thanks,
MS. Other application suppliers are just as greedy. Quark insisted that my
older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would HAVE to
buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the Dell
and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for getting past
the upgrade gate and everything is fine.

All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a weekend
getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took much
longer than need be, I am sure.

If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or virus
breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.

chuck

Chuck

You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
are available at these websites.. download and run them.. don't forget to
check for updates after you have started them..

.... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
updates..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"persian ram" <chuck_petterson@excite.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to those of you "regulars" who gave advice to me in my recent
> struggle with my wife's compromised Dell Dimension 4500S XP machine.
>
> I backed up all of the data. It took nearly two weeks for someone to come
> up with a workable method of backing up the Outlook Express address book
> and
> messages, but it finally appeared.
>
> The machine fought me to th bitter end. It didn't want to "format c:"
> from
> any place. I eventually cracked its stubborn code and got underway.
>
> Everything went reasonably smooth. I used my oem disk, followed by the
> SP2
> diskthat I received a few days earlier. This was follwed up by the 24
> meg
> "update" to SP2. Why can't MS ship CURRENT disks?? When I had that set
> installed I loaded Norton which, of course, needed 20 megs of updates.
>
> I followed that with reloading the various applications. I noticed some
> strange goings on during application loading. Applications seemed to take
> many minutes to get "settled in". Software for my printer-fax-copier was
> not happy, so I uninstalled it and subsequently reinstalled and everything
> works fine now.
>
> MS seems to go out of its way to make sure corel software is incompatible
> with XP, so I had to buy a new edition of the corel office suite.
> Thanks,
> MS. Other application suppliers are just as greedy. Quark insisted that
> my
> older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would HAVE
> buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the Dell
> and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for getting
> past
> the upgrade gate and everything is fine.
>
> All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a
> weekend
> getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
> Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took much
> longer than need be, I am sure.
>
> If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or virus
> breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.
>
> chuck

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ezR9EIsYFHA.1092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
persian ram <chuck_petterson@excite.com> had this to say:

> If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or
> virus breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.

Well spoken. I hope that there's a specifically vile afterlife for them
though I'm not really a very spiritual person. This is one of those
situations where I'd actually wish people misfortune. With one notable
exception. Hackers come in all breeds, the overwhelming majority of them are
law abiding geeks and IT workers. However I agree with the rest of it.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Yeah, I did that, too. I didn't list all of the actions I had to take. The
story was long and sad enough as it was!! ;o)

BTW, I really like the adaware.

chuck
> [...]
that
> > my
> > older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would HAVE
> > buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the
Dell
> > and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for getting
> > past
> > the upgrade gate and everything is fine.
> >
> > All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a
> > weekend
> > getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
> > Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took much
> > longer than need be, I am sure.
> >
> > If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or virus
> > breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

oebackupfull2.9.zip

works good. find it on google.com

"persian ram" <chuck_petterson@excite.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to those of you "regulars" who gave advice to me in my recent
> struggle with my wife's compromised Dell Dimension 4500S XP machine.
>
> I backed up all of the data. It took nearly two weeks for someone to come
> up with a workable method of backing up the Outlook Express address book
> and
> messages, but it finally appeared.
>
> The machine fought me to th bitter end. It didn't want to "format c:"
> from
> any place. I eventually cracked its stubborn code and got underway.
>
> Everything went reasonably smooth. I used my oem disk, followed by the
> SP2
> diskthat I received a few days earlier. This was follwed up by the 24
> meg
> "update" to SP2. Why can't MS ship CURRENT disks?? When I had that set
> installed I loaded Norton which, of course, needed 20 megs of updates.
>
> I followed that with reloading the various applications. I noticed some
> strange goings on during application loading. Applications seemed to take
> many minutes to get "settled in". Software for my printer-fax-copier was
> not happy, so I uninstalled it and subsequently reinstalled and everything
> works fine now.
>
> MS seems to go out of its way to make sure corel software is incompatible
> with XP, so I had to buy a new edition of the corel office suite.
> Thanks,
> MS. Other application suppliers are just as greedy. Quark insisted that
> my
> older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would HAVE
> buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the Dell
> and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for getting
> past
> the upgrade gate and everything is fine.
>
> All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a
> weekend
> getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
> Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took much
> longer than need be, I am sure.
>
> If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or virus
> breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.
>
> chuck

They go out of their way to make it old programs work. I don't know about
Quark but only 3 Corel programs are listed for compatability.

Corel Office 2000 - the dictation setup program has special code in XP to
make it work.
Corel Reference - XP disables themes for this program.
Corel Draw 9 - I think this is for the Japanese version only - XP has
special code to allow this program to work.

They have teams at MS that just test applications. The quarks and corels can
test their own programs and tell MS as well. MS will do either
1. If it applies to a large number of programs make Windows work how
programs expect (this is often due to common bugs in applications)
2. If it is a bug in only one program write a compat shim for it.

You can make any program use any shim (there are several hundred generic
ones too for old programs that didn't follow the rules). Install the
Application Compat Toolkit of the XP CD-Rom.

"persian ram" <chuck_petterson@excite.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to those of you "regulars" who gave advice to me in my recent
> struggle with my wife's compromised Dell Dimension 4500S XP machine.
>
> I backed up all of the data. It took nearly two weeks for someone to come
> up with a workable method of backing up the Outlook Express address book
and
> messages, but it finally appeared.
>
> The machine fought me to th bitter end. It didn't want to "format c:"
from
> any place. I eventually cracked its stubborn code and got underway.
>
> Everything went reasonably smooth. I used my oem disk, followed by the
SP2
> diskthat I received a few days earlier. This was follwed up by the 24
meg
> "update" to SP2. Why can't MS ship CURRENT disks?? When I had that set
> installed I loaded Norton which, of course, needed 20 megs of updates.
>
> I followed that with reloading the various applications. I noticed some
> strange goings on during application loading. Applications seemed to take
> many minutes to get "settled in". Software for my printer-fax-copier was
> not happy, so I uninstalled it and subsequently reinstalled and everything
> works fine now.
>
> MS seems to go out of its way to make sure corel software is incompatible
> with XP, so I had to buy a new edition of the corel office suite.
Thanks,
> MS. Other application suppliers are just as greedy. Quark insisted that
my
> older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would HAVE
> buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the Dell
> and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for getting
past
> the upgrade gate and everything is fine.
>
> All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a
weekend
> getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
> Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took much
> longer than need be, I am sure.
>
> If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or virus
> breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.
>
> chuck

not to beat a dead horse, but your words don't reflect my experiences.

I have yet to install an "improved" MS operating system thatwas faster than
the one it is suposed to replace or cause screw ups in existing software.
In the past 20 years I have spent thousands of dollars on software, none of
which has much more useabilty or reliabilty than the edition I originally
purchased. Most purchases were made to accomodate incompatibilities with
new MS operating systems when I upgraded a computer. MS clogs its
"operating system" with "features" I neither use nor want. These items add
to the complexity of the program and slow down everything.

I have purchased my last MS OS system. When I can't keep these machines
patched together any longer I will go linux or mac.

chuck

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> [...]
that
> my
> > older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would HAVE
> > buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the
Dell
> > and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for getting
> past
> > the upgrade gate and everything is fine.
> >
> > All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a
> weekend
> > getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
> > Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took much
> > longer than need be, I am sure.
> >
> > If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or virus
> > breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.

Chuck

An operating system is only as fast as the system on which it resides..

Re. programs, if programmers were to always take into account backwards
compatibility, we would still be stuck with DOS based word processors that
have just three fonts available..

WordPerfect has had a history of incompatibility re Windows (WP 7 wasn't too
bad but did crash out on occasion), but it is the OS that drives the system,
and should take priority over programs.. if Corel choose to use programming
code to get what they want, and it proves to be incompatible with the OS,
then they must change the code..

If you look back at any program, there has always been an element of
incompatibility with newer OSes.. to make a program with new and better
features often involved functions that may only be available in Win 98 as
opposed to Win 3.11 for instance..

So none of us like paying for upgrades all of the time.. the answer is to
only upgrade if you really have a need, i.e. not every version step..

Linux and Mac programs do not rate as the worlds best by a long shot.. they
are also a little thin on the ground.. WordPerfect released a version of one
of their office suites for the Mac aways back, but the features were reduced
compared to the Windows version purely because MacOS lacked some
functionality..

Re. features in a newly installed computer, how would you feel if you bought
a computer and could do nothing with it other than just access various bits
of hardware?.. the way things are, you can hook up a printer and create a
letter, play a game, scan and print out pictures, play music, receive
e-mail, surf the net, all kinds of things..

What would you like to see removed, and if MS did what you asked, what
effect would that have on others who do not have the cash at all to buy
programs that would give them even a modicum of functionality?

--

> [...]
>> my
>> > older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would
>> > HAVE
>> > buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the
> Dell
>> > and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for getting
>> past
>> > the upgrade gate and everything is fine.
>> >
>> > All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a
>> weekend
>> > getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
>> > Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took
>> > much
>> > longer than need be, I am sure.
>> >
>> > If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or
>> > virus
>> > breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.

I never said it was faster. I didn't say anything that you are arguing
about.
> [...]
> > > older version of Quark Xpress(4.1) would not work on XP and I would
HAVE
> > > buy 5.0 or later. HA!! 4.1 had been running on XP since I bought the
> Dell
> > > and another machine that has XP. I dug out the secret code for
getting
> > past
> > > the upgrade gate and everything is fine.
> > >
> > > All in all I lost one day of work plus three evenings and part of a
> > weekend
> > > getting the machine ready to rebuild and then actually cleaning it up.
> > > Since I am not a computer geek in my daily life, the processes took
much
> > > longer than need be, I am sure.
> > >
> > > If there are any hackers or worm makers, trojan horse builders, or
virus
> > > breedeers looking at this message, I hope you burn in hell.

Microsoft write special routines for WP. Both V8 and 9 have special compat
shims. 7 is probably too old for XP.
> [...]
> >> make it work.
> >> Corel Reference - XP disables themes for this program.
> >> Corel Draw 9 - I think this is for the Japanese version only - XP has
> >> special code to allow this program to work.
> >>
> >> They have teams at MS that just test applications. The quarks and
corels
> > can
> >> test their own programs and tell MS as well. MS will do either
> >> 1. If it applies to a large number of programs make Windows work how
> >> programs expect (this is often due to common bugs in applications)
> >> 2. If it is a bug in only one program write a compat shim for it.
> >>
> >> You can make any program use any shim (there are several hundred
generic
> >> ones too for old programs that didn't follow the rules). Install the
> >> Application Compat Toolkit of the XP CD-Rom.

David

Unfortunately, it is.. a good office suite that was not weighted down too
much, and so easily customizable..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User