Graphics card--Operating System Compatibility

jacopin

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I would like to use the ATI 9600XT or 9800 Pro with my current operating system, Windows 98SE. It's stated however, that the requirements for these 2 graphics cards is Windows ME, 2000, or XP. While I will probably upgrade the OS in the near future, I was wondering if these cards would absolutely not work at all, or work in a 'handicapped' way with W98. What could I expect from trying to use one of these cards with Windows 98SE? What role does the operating system play?

The R9600 and R9800 will work with 98SE but M$ has stopped supporting it. ATI releases BETA drivers for the R3xx series support, <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winme/radeonwdm-me.html?type=98&prodType=graphic&prod=productsME98driver&submit.x=16&submit.y=7" target="_new">Cat 4.11 for W98/ME</A>

nV just recently did the same for their line of cards for their W98 drivers, the latest one is W2K/XP only.

And your OS will affect gameplay more than the graphics card itself. And while there'll be defenders of W98SE out there, it's more of a 'geared towards' issue. You'll see some performance boosts from W2K/XP but the differences aren't major. However expect to eventually be pushed towards a new OS whether you like it or not.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
98SE works fine with ME drivers for your card. Buck the trend, 98SE is the faster OS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
When I first got my 9600pro, I ran it on 98se. It had problems with 512Mb of system memory, but ran fine with onlt 256. By problems, I mean it would crash to desktop in game. Not fun, when it happens every few minutes.

jacopin

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Just my luck! I currently have 512 MB of System Memory. But why should a graphics card run better on less System Memory?