Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Using Dell OEM software to test non dell hardware

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:58:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
buy 4 copies just to test these machines.

Any ideas?
Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
that on one of them.

--
Steve Williams



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:58:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
news:423374c5$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
> them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
> them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
> different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
> look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
> these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
> and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
> machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
> buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
>
> Any ideas?
> Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
> that on one of them.
>
> --
> Steve Williams


Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...


http://tinyurl.com/6mskf

If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with someone
else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't pay for.
And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
customer/friend/or associate.


Stew
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:29:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:1SKYd.41134$%Y4.37498@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
> news:423374c5$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
in
> > them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
for
> > them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with
a
> > different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of
them
> > look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200
but,
> > these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the
disc
> > and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
> > machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather
not
> > buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me
for
> > that on one of them.
> >
> > --
> > Steve Williams
>
>
> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of
WinXP
> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6mskf
>
> If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with
someone
> else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't
pay for.
> And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
> customer/friend/or associate.
>
>
> Stew
>

At least two (the HPs) of these machines are going to the local VFD. I
am a member there and I planned on setting them up so the Chief and
officers could handle paperwork and such. I just wanted to test them
before I hand them over. They are both ex corporate machines that had
the drives formatted. I figured there might be a way to load them and
check them then reformat and hand them over. Then they will buy the
software and have me set them up IF they work OK. I just wanted to be
sure they work running some form of windows before I demo them. Oh well,
guess I'll have to find a retail copy.

Oh and for folks who suggest using the copy of XP. It will NOT load on a
machine without a Dell BIOS. I tried it already. It goes to the first
install screen, then pops up an error screen that says plain as day.
This copy of Windows XP for Dell will not install on this computer.




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Related resources
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:15:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Check your copy of Dell OEM XP again. I've had no trouble using it to load up a
non-Dell machine, except that it requests a COA, of course. I do not know how
Dell distributed ME and whether or not the restore/install medium is somehow
restricted to Dell-only.

Loading the OS is one way to test hardware pretty thoroughly. HP is VERY
deficient in terms of the software they have available on-line. But at the IBM
web site you can download comprehensive diagnostics for whatever model of IBM
box you have there. Also you can run memtest-86 and the drive manufacturer's
diagnostic tests to exercise the hardware. I invariably do so when I set up a
computer with hardware that may be uncertain. The issue with using Windows as
as hardware test is hardware failure isolation. So the computer blue screens
when installing Windows? Now what? What caused it? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:58:49 -0500, "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:

>I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
>them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
>them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
>different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
>look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
>these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
>and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
>machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
>buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
>
>Any ideas?
>Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
>that on one of them.
>
>--
>Steve Williams
>
>
>
>----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:29:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If you just need to verify the operation of the system, consider using
knoppix instead.

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

The only version of Windows that is available for retail sale now is XP.
You'd have to turn to an auction site like EBay for older versions - the
ME CD from Dell will not install on a non-Dell system. XP will, but it
will require activation, which you can't do multiple times on different
systems.



Steve W. wrote:
> I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
> them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
> them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
> different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
> look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
> these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
> and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
> machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
> buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
>
> Any ideas?
> Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
> that on one of them.
>
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:02:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On 3/12/2005 5:26 PM, S.Lewis wrote:
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
> news:423374c5$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>
>>I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
>>them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
>>them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
>>different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
>>look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
>>these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
>>and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
>>machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
>>buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
>>that on one of them.
>>
>>--
>>Steve Williams
>
>
>
> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6mskf
>
> If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with someone
> else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't pay for.
> And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
> customer/friend/or associate.
>
>

Or load Linux?
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:07:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
news:4233a63e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:1SKYd.41134$%Y4.37498@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
>>
>> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
>> news:423374c5$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>> >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
> in
>> > them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
> for
>> > them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with
> a
>> > different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of
> them
>> > look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200
> but,
>> > these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the
> disc
>> > and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
>> > machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather
> not
>> > buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> > Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me
> for
>> > that on one of them.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Steve Williams
>>
>>
>> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of
> WinXP
>> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>>
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>>
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6mskf
>>
>> If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with
> someone
>> else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't
> pay for.
>> And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
>> customer/friend/or associate.
>>
>>
>> Stew
>>
>
> At least two (the HPs) of these machines are going to the local VFD. I
> am a member there and I planned on setting them up so the Chief and
> officers could handle paperwork and such. I just wanted to test them
> before I hand them over. They are both ex corporate machines that had
> the drives formatted. I figured there might be a way to load them and
> check them then reformat and hand them over. Then they will buy the
> software and have me set them up IF they work OK. I just wanted to be
> sure they work running some form of windows before I demo them. Oh well,
> guess I'll have to find a retail copy.
>
> Oh and for folks who suggest using the copy of XP. It will NOT load on a
> machine without a Dell BIOS. I tried it already. It goes to the first
> install screen, then pops up an error screen that says plain as day.
> This copy of Windows XP for Dell will not install on this computer.
>
>
>
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> =----


Describe the XP CD. Every single Dell XP I've seen WILL install, but
requires the OEM COA.

Tom
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:07:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:T7OYd.113125$pc5.51860@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> >
> > At least two (the HPs) of these machines are going to the local VFD.
I
> > am a member there and I planned on setting them up so the Chief and
> > officers could handle paperwork and such. I just wanted to test them
> > before I hand them over. They are both ex corporate machines that
had
> > the drives formatted. I figured there might be a way to load them
and
> > check them then reformat and hand them over. Then they will buy the
> > software and have me set them up IF they work OK. I just wanted to
be
> > sure they work running some form of windows before I demo them. Oh
well,
> > guess I'll have to find a retail copy.
> >
> > Oh and for folks who suggest using the copy of XP. It will NOT load
on a
> > machine without a Dell BIOS. I tried it already. It goes to the
first
> > install screen, then pops up an error screen that says plain as day.
> > This copy of Windows XP for Dell will not install on this computer.
> >
>
> Describe the XP CD. Every single Dell XP I've seen WILL install, but
> requires the OEM COA.
>
> Tom
>
>
>
The copies I have are the ones that were sent out free for folks who
bought the Dimension 8200 when XP first came out but was not released on
new machines yet. You just sent in a letter to Dell and they sent you a
copy of XP home. They actually sent me a few different CDs. One to
upgrade EZCD, One with the new utilities and Av updates. There are two
different XP cds
One is really flashy holographic and is labeled Upgrade Windows XP Home
Edition Version 2002. For product support contact the manufacturer of
your PC. To me this looks like an OEM Upgrade CD. The other has the
standard OEM distro info and copying illegality. It says it is Windows
Xp Home edition for new PCs. I think this is a full install disc for use
with a clean drive. Then there is a Step by step interactive training. I
think this is just a tutorial disc about how to upgrade to XP. Never
really bothered with them because I actually have had zero problems with
ME that were not my fault anyway. I did a clean install when I first got
the 8200 and it has run fine since. (I did replace a HD under warranty
and the MB had a bad memory socket so Dell sent me an upgraded one)

Using either of the XP discs in a NON Dell machine brings up the - This
isn't a Dell machine Sorry.. Tried it with an IBM Thinkcenter and an
older Compaq Presario that my FIL has now. Mainly because folks were
telling how they had installed Dell OEM on other machine, and others
were saying it didn't work. I guess I'm in the latter list.
Not a big deal, just annoying. Having XP here and it being useless.

Steve W.



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 7:55:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

S.Lewis wrote:

<snip>

> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?

I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target
system. Am I missing something?
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:16:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
news:4233bd69$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:T7OYd.113125$pc5.51860@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> >
>> > At least two (the HPs) of these machines are going to the local VFD.
> I
>> > am a member there and I planned on setting them up so the Chief and
>> > officers could handle paperwork and such. I just wanted to test them
>> > before I hand them over. They are both ex corporate machines that
> had
>> > the drives formatted. I figured there might be a way to load them
> and
>> > check them then reformat and hand them over. Then they will buy the
>> > software and have me set them up IF they work OK. I just wanted to
> be
>> > sure they work running some form of windows before I demo them. Oh
> well,
>> > guess I'll have to find a retail copy.
>> >
>> > Oh and for folks who suggest using the copy of XP. It will NOT load
> on a
>> > machine without a Dell BIOS. I tried it already. It goes to the
> first
>> > install screen, then pops up an error screen that says plain as day.
>> > This copy of Windows XP for Dell will not install on this computer.
>> >
>>
>> Describe the XP CD. Every single Dell XP I've seen WILL install, but
>> requires the OEM COA.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>
>>
> The copies I have are the ones that were sent out free for folks who
> bought the Dimension 8200 when XP first came out but was not released on
> new machines yet. You just sent in a letter to Dell and they sent you a
> copy of XP home. They actually sent me a few different CDs. One to
> upgrade EZCD, One with the new utilities and Av updates. There are two
> different XP cds
> One is really flashy holographic and is labeled Upgrade Windows XP Home
> Edition Version 2002. For product support contact the manufacturer of
> your PC. To me this looks like an OEM Upgrade CD. The other has the
> standard OEM distro info and copying illegality. It says it is Windows
> Xp Home edition for new PCs. I think this is a full install disc for use
> with a clean drive. Then there is a Step by step interactive training. I
> think this is just a tutorial disc about how to upgrade to XP. Never
> really bothered with them because I actually have had zero problems with
> ME that were not my fault anyway. I did a clean install when I first got
> the 8200 and it has run fine since. (I did replace a HD under warranty
> and the MB had a bad memory socket so Dell sent me an upgraded one)
>
> Using either of the XP discs in a NON Dell machine brings up the - This
> isn't a Dell machine Sorry.. Tried it with an IBM Thinkcenter and an
> older Compaq Presario that my FIL has now. Mainly because folks were
> telling how they had installed Dell OEM on other machine, and others
> were saying it didn't work. I guess I'm in the latter list.
> Not a big deal, just annoying. Having XP here and it being useless.
>
> Steve W.
>
>
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> =----

Ah, weird ones. I have one of those.

We're discussing the normal XP CD that ships with the system. They WILL
install, but will require activation.

Now, it's breaking the license agreement, so I don't recommend it.

Tom
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:17:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
news:p dUYd.14097$l_1.6376@fe12.lga...
> S.Lewis wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
>> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>
> I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
> Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
> Am I missing something?

Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine. Installing
it on another machine is violating the license agreement.

Tom
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:17:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:_iVYd.113197$pc5.917@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
> news:p dUYd.14097$l_1.6376@fe12.lga...
>> S.Lewis wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
>>> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>>
>> I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
>> Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
>> Am I missing something?
>
> Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
> Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
>
> Tom
>

What he said.

I've got probably a half dozen Dell and non-Dell XP CDs around here. In the
case of varying retail discs (Pro, Home, upgrade, etc.), when I sell or loan
a system it can be a headache to keep the original discs that came with or
was purchased for those systems. I do so with a small utility (rockXP) that
displays the key (at desktop) when run.

I sort of enjoy the occasional request to "install XP" on a machine with no
license and a crashed OS, but no CDs.

The Redmond mafia has made my life much easier to tell these cheapos "if you
want it you're going to have to buy it", or find someone else to do what
you're asking, which is illegal.


Stew
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
> news:p dUYd.14097$l_1.6376@fe12.lga...
>
>>S.Lewis wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
>>>Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>>
>>I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
>>Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
>>Am I missing something?
>
> Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine. Installing
> it on another machine is violating the license agreement.

Isn't it the license, i.e., the COA, that's tied to the Dell machine,
not the code on the CD? Still difficult to see any problem with using
the Dell CD along with the other box's COA to install Windows.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:27:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:_iVYd.113197$pc5.917@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>>"Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
>>news:p dUYd.14097$l_1.6376@fe12.lga...
>>
>>>S.Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>>Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
>>>>Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>>>
>>>I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
>>>Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
>>>Am I missing something?
>>
>>Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
>>Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
>>
>>Tom
>
> What he said.
>
> I've got probably a half dozen Dell and non-Dell XP CDs around here. In the
> case of varying retail discs (Pro, Home, upgrade, etc.), when I sell or loan
> a system it can be a headache to keep the original discs that came with or
> was purchased for those systems. I do so with a small utility (rockXP) that
> displays the key (at desktop) when run.

My situation is similar, but on a smaller scale. I keep all the Dell CDs
for a box together (a quart sized Ziploc bag with an actual zipper seems
perfect for this) and they go along with the box when it's replaced,
e.g., the 5 CDs plus the 2 CD Office Small Business set. This is what I
did when I passed my XPSB866r along to my son (even went to the Dell
site & made the xfer official there). I don't have any CDs that came
with that box. I upgraded Windows on that box with a retail copy of
Win2000 purchased locally.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:11:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Steve W. wrote:
> I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
> them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
> them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
> different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
> look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
> these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
> and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
> machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
> buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
>
> Any ideas?

Three occur to me.

1. You could use Linux to test the machines. Either install it, say Suse
or Mandrake (fairly painless), or use a Live distribution like Knoppix.

2. Get FreeDOS. Run some share/freeware testing utilites.

3. Get a copy of some older version of Windows, e.g. 95, from eBay.

It depends exactly what testing you want to do, in as much as running
W95 might not PROVE that WinXP will work ok. It should enable you to
check out the hardware finally thoroughly though. Only issue that I can
think of is that of drivers, in as much as USB might not be supported in
FreeDOS, for example.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:21:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
news:Cr0Zd.14682$Z_3.10151@fe12.lga...
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
>> news:p dUYd.14097$l_1.6376@fe12.lga...
>>
>>>S.Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>>Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
>>>>Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>>>
>>>I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
>>>Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
>>>Am I missing something?
>>
>> Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
>> Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
>
> Isn't it the license, i.e., the COA, that's tied to the Dell machine, not
> the code on the CD? Still difficult to see any problem with using the Dell
> CD along with the other box's COA to install Windows.

No, my bad, I didn't focus on the last part of your sentence.

Tom
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:35:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
>I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
>them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
>them.

Do any of these machines have the COA on them?

[This is where the OS version of MSDN comes in real handy, FWIW.]
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:12:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

John Fryatt wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>
>> I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
>> them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
>> them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
>> different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
>> look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
>> these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
>> and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
>> machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
>> buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>
> Three occur to me.
>
> 1. You could use Linux to test the machines. Either install it, say Suse
> or Mandrake (fairly painless), or use a Live distribution like Knoppix.
>
> 2. Get FreeDOS. Run some share/freeware testing utilites.
>
> 3. Get a copy of some older version of Windows, e.g. 95, from eBay.
>
> It depends exactly what testing you want to do, in as much as running
> W95 might not PROVE that WinXP will work ok. It should enable you to
> check out the hardware finally thoroughly though. Only issue that I can
> think of is that of drivers, in as much as USB might not be supported in
> FreeDOS, for example.
>
>
Although personally I'd go with a live distro like Slax or Knoppix,
there is actually a live distro equivalent of XP. It's known as BartPE
(o a google search for more info), and ought to allow the original
poster to run any diagnostics he needs.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:51:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
> news:Cr0Zd.14682$Z_3.10151@fe12.lga...
>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>>"Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
>>>news:p dUYd.14097$l_1.6376@fe12.lga...
>>>
>>>
>>>>S.Lewis wrote:
>>>>
>>>><snip>
>>>>
>>>>>Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
>>>>>Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
>>>>
>>>>I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
>>>>Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
>>>>Am I missing something?
>>>
>>>Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
>>>Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
>>
>>Isn't it the license, i.e., the COA, that's tied to the Dell machine, not
>>the code on the CD? Still difficult to see any problem with using the Dell
>>CD along with the other box's COA to install Windows.
>
>
> No, my bad, I didn't focus on the last part of your sentence.

Glad we're back on the same page, Tom

<no pun intended>
March 14, 2005 10:32:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ben Myers wrote:
>Fun huh? You
>won't find any drivers on the HP web site for the Pavilions. And
people wonder
>why HP systems are such a pain in the ass to deal with?
My new HP Pavilion ze4933us laptop has all the drivers
on the HP website....Also came with an OEM XP CD and
a driver cd...I was quite supprised..and happy...
I usually buy Dells but this laptop was to good a price to pass up.
I do like on the HP that I go to help and support icon and
click on a link that scans the computer and tells me if any
drivers need updating and gives a link to download if they do.
Dave
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:32:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Two have XP COAs and two have 98SE COA tags.

I wandered out and picked up a new copy of ME from a shop that had it.
Tested the two HP's. Need to add some memory and find a few drivers that
will work under XP for the video cards and modems and they should be OK.
--
Steve W.


<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
news:ffq931pj7hlqgpode04eq3ptv7ol0a3uga@4ax.com...
> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
> >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
in
> >them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
for
> >them.
>
> Do any of these machines have the COA on them?
>
> [This is where the OS version of MSDN comes in real handy, FWIW.]
>
>



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:02:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

For the HP boxes, go to the HP web site, click the support radio button, put in
the exact model (e.g. Pavilion 9999), and keep on clicking the item marked
Product Specifications (you may need to do this several times) until you come to
a list of actual product specifications in terms of motherboard and add-in card
chipsets. Either print out the page or make note of all the chips, their
manufacturers and models. Now go to the various manufacturers' web sites and
download the drivers for the chip-and-operating system combo. Fun huh? You
won't find any drivers on the HP web site for the Pavilions. And people wonder
why HP systems are such a pain in the ass to deal with?

The only thing that HP has on its web site that I would like to see on Dell's is
a more detailed description of the chips in a system. Usually, if you know the
service tag of a system, you can find all the drivers for the computer on the
Dell web site. But once in a while, there is some ambiguity about exactly what
is inside a Dell computer. That's when I'd like to know about the chips inside,
to go with my salsa... Ben Myers

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:32:46 -0500, "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:

>Two have XP COAs and two have 98SE COA tags.
>
>I wandered out and picked up a new copy of ME from a shop that had it.
>Tested the two HP's. Need to add some memory and find a few drivers that
>will work under XP for the video cards and modems and they should be OK.
>--
>Steve W.
>
>
><William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>news:ffq931pj7hlqgpode04eq3ptv7ol0a3uga@4ax.com...
>> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
>> >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
>in
>> >them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
>for
>> >them.
>>
>> Do any of these machines have the COA on them?
>>
>> [This is where the OS version of MSDN comes in real handy, FWIW.]
>>
>>
>
>
>
>----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:00:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

David,

Must be some of the Compaq influence seeping into HP after three years. The
driver page for the Pavilion ze4933us looks very Compaqish in its layout,
organization and content. HP may be making some progress in improving its
on-line tech support. Heaven knows, serious improvement is needed. Try
scouting out the drivers for an older HP Pavilion machine and see what turns up.
Nada. Nil. Niente. Good to see that the screams and anquish of unhappy
customers are making an impact on HPs way of doing business. Overall, I'll
still take Dells and IBMs over HPs any day of the week... Ben Myers

On 14 Mar 2005 19:32:10 -0800, "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>>Fun huh? You
>>won't find any drivers on the HP web site for the Pavilions. And
>people wonder
>>why HP systems are such a pain in the ass to deal with?
>My new HP Pavilion ze4933us laptop has all the drivers
>on the HP website....Also came with an OEM XP CD and
>a driver cd...I was quite supprised..and happy...
>I usually buy Dells but this laptop was to good a price to pass up.
>I do like on the HP that I go to help and support icon and
>click on a link that scans the computer and tells me if any
>drivers need updating and gives a link to download if they do.
>Dave
>
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:25:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
>Two have XP COAs and two have 98SE COA tags.

So (assuming you can find install disks of the appropriate flavor) you
have licenses for those OSen on thos machines.

>I wandered out and picked up a new copy of ME from a shop that had it.

Danger, Will Robinson! Either upgrade those 98SE machines to XP or
run 98SE on them, WinME (which we call LoseME around here) was pretty
universally acknowledged (even by M$ if you read between the lines) to
be awful.
!