Using Dell OEM software to test non dell hardware

I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
buy 4 copies just to test these machines.

Any ideas?
Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
that on one of them.

--
Steve Williams

More about using dell software test dell hardware

    "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
    >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
    > them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
    > them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
    > different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
    > look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
    > these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
    > and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
    > machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
    > buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
    > that on one of them.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Williams

    Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
    Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614

    http://tinyurl.com/6mskf

    If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with someone
    else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't pay for.
    And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
    customer/friend/or associate.

    Stew

    > "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
    > >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
    in
    > > them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
    for
    > > them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with
    > > different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of
    them
    > > look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200
    but,
    > > these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the
    disc
    > > and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
    > > machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather
    not
    > > buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > > Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me
    for
    > > that on one of them.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Steve Williams
    >

    > Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of
    WinXP
    > Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
    >
    > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/6mskf
    >
    > If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with
    someone
    > else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't
    pay for.
    > And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
    > customer/friend/or associate.
    >

    > Stew

    At least two (the HPs) of these machines are going to the local VFD. I
    am a member there and I planned on setting them up so the Chief and
    officers could handle paperwork and such. I just wanted to test them
    before I hand them over. They are both ex corporate machines that had
    the drives formatted. I figured there might be a way to load them and
    check them then reformat and hand them over. Then they will buy the
    software and have me set them up IF they work OK. I just wanted to be
    sure they work running some form of windows before I demo them. Oh well,
    guess I'll have to find a retail copy.

    Oh and for folks who suggest using the copy of XP. It will NOT load on a
    machine without a Dell BIOS. I tried it already. It goes to the first
    install screen, then pops up an error screen that says plain as day.
    This copy of Windows XP for Dell will not install on this computer.

    Check your copy of Dell OEM XP again. I've had no trouble using it to load up a
    non-Dell machine, except that it requests a COA, of course. I do not know how
    Dell distributed ME and whether or not the restore/install medium is somehow
    restricted to Dell-only.

    deficient in terms of the software they have available on-line. But at the IBM
    web site you can download comprehensive diagnostics for whatever model of IBM
    box you have there. Also you can run memtest-86 and the drive manufacturer's
    diagnostic tests to exercise the hardware. I invariably do so when I set up a
    computer with hardware that may be uncertain. The issue with using Windows as
    as hardware test is hardware failure isolation. So the computer blue screens
    when installing Windows? Now what? What caused it? ... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:58:49 -0500, "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:

    >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
    >them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
    >them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
    >different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
    >look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
    >these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
    >and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
    >machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
    >buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
    >that on one of them.
    >
    >--
    >Steve Williams

    If you just need to verify the operation of the system, consider using
    knoppix instead.

    http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

    The only version of Windows that is available for retail sale now is XP.
    You'd have to turn to an auction site like EBay for older versions - the
    ME CD from Dell will not install on a non-Dell system. XP will, but it
    will require activation, which you can't do multiple times on different
    systems.

    On 3/12/2005 5:26 PM, S.Lewis wrote:
    > "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
    >>them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
    >>them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
    >>different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
    >>look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
    >>these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
    >>and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
    >>machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
    >>buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me for
    >>that on one of them.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Steve Williams
    >

    > Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
    > Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
    >
    > http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/6mskf
    >
    > If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with someone
    > else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't pay for.
    > And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
    > customer/friend/or associate.

    Or load Linux?

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
    > in
    >> > them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
    > for
    >> > them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with
    >> > different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of
    > them
    >> > look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200
    > but,
    >> > these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the
    > disc
    >> > and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
    >> > machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather
    > not
    >> > buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> > Oh is ME still out there as retail software? One person is asking me
    > for
    >> > that on one of them.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Steve Williams
    >>

    >> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of
    > WinXP
    >> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
    >>
    >> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614
    >>

    >> http://tinyurl.com/6mskf
    >>
    >> If you're "testing" these units to ultimately sell or place with
    > someone
    >> else, they'll understand that they can't have something they didn't
    > pay for.
    >> And if they don't understand it, then you really don't want them as a
    >> customer/friend/or associate.
    >>

    >> Stew
    >>

    > At least two (the HPs) of these machines are going to the local VFD. I
    > am a member there and I planned on setting them up so the Chief and
    > officers could handle paperwork and such. I just wanted to test them
    > before I hand them over. They are both ex corporate machines that had
    > the drives formatted. I figured there might be a way to load them and
    > check them then reformat and hand them over. Then they will buy the
    > software and have me set them up IF they work OK. I just wanted to be
    > sure they work running some form of windows before I demo them. Oh well,
    > guess I'll have to find a retail copy.
    >
    > Oh and for folks who suggest using the copy of XP. It will NOT load on a
    > machine without a Dell BIOS. I tried it already. It goes to the first
    > install screen, then pops up an error screen that says plain as day.
    > This copy of Windows XP for Dell will not install on this computer.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    Describe the XP CD. Every single Dell XP I've seen WILL install, but
    requires the OEM COA.

    Tom

    > > At least two (the HPs) of these machines are going to the local VFD.
    > > am a member there and I planned on setting them up so the Chief and
    > > officers could handle paperwork and such. I just wanted to test them
    > > before I hand them over. They are both ex corporate machines that
    had
    > > the drives formatted. I figured there might be a way to load them
    and
    > > check them then reformat and hand them over. Then they will buy the
    > > software and have me set them up IF they work OK. I just wanted to
    be
    > > sure they work running some form of windows before I demo them. Oh
    well,
    > > guess I'll have to find a retail copy.
    > >
    > > Oh and for folks who suggest using the copy of XP. It will NOT load
    on a
    > > machine without a Dell BIOS. I tried it already. It goes to the
    first
    > > install screen, then pops up an error screen that says plain as day.
    > > This copy of Windows XP for Dell will not install on this computer.
    > >

    > Describe the XP CD. Every single Dell XP I've seen WILL install, but
    > requires the OEM COA.
    >
    > Tom

    The copies I have are the ones that were sent out free for folks who
    bought the Dimension 8200 when XP first came out but was not released on
    new machines yet. You just sent in a letter to Dell and they sent you a
    copy of XP home. They actually sent me a few different CDs. One to
    upgrade EZCD, One with the new utilities and Av updates. There are two
    different XP cds
    One is really flashy holographic and is labeled Upgrade Windows XP Home
    Edition Version 2002. For product support contact the manufacturer of
    your PC. To me this looks like an OEM Upgrade CD. The other has the
    standard OEM distro info and copying illegality. It says it is Windows
    Xp Home edition for new PCs. I think this is a full install disc for use
    with a clean drive. Then there is a Step by step interactive training. I
    think this is just a tutorial disc about how to upgrade to XP. Never
    really bothered with them because I actually have had zero problems with
    ME that were not my fault anyway. I did a clean install when I first got
    the 8200 and it has run fine since. (I did replace a HD under warranty
    and the MB had a bad memory socket so Dell sent me an upgraded one)

    Using either of the XP discs in a NON Dell machine brings up the - This
    isn't a Dell machine Sorry.. Tried it with an IBM Thinkcenter and an
    older Compaq Presario that my FIL has now. Mainly because folks were
    telling how they had installed Dell OEM on other machine, and others
    were saying it didn't work. I guess I'm in the latter list.
    Not a big deal, just annoying. Having XP here and it being useless.

    Steve W.

    S.Lewis wrote:

    <snip>

    > Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
    > Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?

    I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
    Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target
    system. Am I missing something?

> [...]
    > with a clean drive. Then there is a Step by step interactive training. I
    > think this is just a tutorial disc about how to upgrade to XP. Never
    > really bothered with them because I actually have had zero problems with
    > ME that were not my fault anyway. I did a clean install when I first got
    > the 8200 and it has run fine since. (I did replace a HD under warranty
    > and the MB had a bad memory socket so Dell sent me an upgraded one)
    >
    > Using either of the XP discs in a NON Dell machine brings up the - This
    > isn't a Dell machine Sorry.. Tried it with an IBM Thinkcenter and an
    > older Compaq Presario that my FIL has now. Mainly because folks were
    > telling how they had installed Dell OEM on other machine, and others
    > were saying it didn't work. I guess I'm in the latter list.
    > Not a big deal, just annoying. Having XP here and it being useless.

    Ah, weird ones. I have one of those.

    We're discussing the normal XP CD that ships with the system. They WILL
    install, but will require activation.

    Now, it's breaking the license agreement, so I don't recommend it.

    Tom

    "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
    >> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
    >
    > I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
    > Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
    > Am I missing something?

    Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine. Installing
    it on another machine is violating the license agreement.

    Tom

    > "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
    >> S.Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
    >>> Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
    >>
    >> I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
    >> Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
    >> Am I missing something?
    >
    > Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
    > Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
    >
    > Tom

    What he said.

    I've got probably a half dozen Dell and non-Dell XP CDs around here. In the
    case of varying retail discs (Pro, Home, upgrade, etc.), when I sell or loan
    a system it can be a headache to keep the original discs that came with or
    was purchased for those systems. I do so with a small utility (rockXP) that
    displays the key (at desktop) when run.

    I sort of enjoy the occasional request to "install XP" on a machine with no
    license and a crashed OS, but no CDs.

    The Redmond mafia has made my life much easier to tell these cheapos "if you
    want it you're going to have to buy it", or find someone else to do what
    you're asking, which is illegal.

    Stew

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>S.Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>>Why not do the proper thing and spend the $85 for a retail copy of WinXP
    >>>Home and grab a legal copy of WinMe off of ebay or the like?
    >>
    >>I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
    >>Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
    >>Am I missing something?
    >
    > Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine. Installing
    > it on another machine is violating the license agreement.

    Isn't it the license, i.e., the COA, that's tied to the Dell machine,
    not the code on the CD? Still difficult to see any problem with using
    the Dell CD along with the other box's COA to install Windows.

    S.Lewis wrote:

    >>"Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>S.Lewis wrote:
    >>>
    >>><snip>

    >>>I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
    >>>Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
    >>>Am I missing something?
    >>
    >>Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
    >>Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
    >>
    >>Tom
    >
    > What he said.
    >
    > I've got probably a half dozen Dell and non-Dell XP CDs around here. In the
    > case of varying retail discs (Pro, Home, upgrade, etc.), when I sell or loan
    > a system it can be a headache to keep the original discs that came with or
    > was purchased for those systems. I do so with a small utility (rockXP) that
    > displays the key (at desktop) when run.

    My situation is similar, but on a smaller scale. I keep all the Dell CDs
    for a box together (a quart sized Ziploc bag with an actual zipper seems
    perfect for this) and they go along with the box when it's replaced,
    e.g., the 5 CDs plus the 2 CD Office Small Business set. This is what I
    did when I passed my XPSB866r along to my son (even went to the Dell
    site & made the xfer official there). I don't have any CDs that came
    with that box. I upgraded Windows on that box with a retail copy of
    Win2000 purchased locally.

    Steve W. wrote:
    > I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
    > them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
    > them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
    > different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
    > look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
    > these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
    > and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
    > machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
    > buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Three occur to me.

    1. You could use Linux to test the machines. Either install it, say Suse
    or Mandrake (fairly painless), or use a Live distribution like Knoppix.

    2. Get FreeDOS. Run some share/freeware testing utilites.

    3. Get a copy of some older version of Windows, e.g. 95, from eBay.

    It depends exactly what testing you want to do, in as much as running
    W95 might not PROVE that WinXP will work ok. It should enable you to
    check out the hardware finally thoroughly though. Only issue that I can
    think of is that of drivers, in as much as USB might not be supported in
    FreeDOS, for example.

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>S.Lewis wrote:
    >>>
    >>><snip>

    >>>I see nothing improper with using the Dell XP CD to install XP an a non
    >>>Dell box, providing, of course, I have a valid COA for the target system.
    >>>Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
    >> Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
    >
    > Isn't it the license, i.e., the COA, that's tied to the Dell machine, not
    > the code on the CD? Still difficult to see any problem with using the Dell
    > CD along with the other box's COA to install Windows.

    No, my bad, I didn't focus on the last part of your sentence.

    Tom

    "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
    >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
    >them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
    >them.

    Do any of these machines have the COA on them?

    [This is where the OS version of MSDN comes in real handy, FWIW.]

    John Fryatt wrote:
    > Steve W. wrote:
    >
    >> I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives in
    >> them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software for
    >> them. The only problem is I sold the retail copy of 98SE I had with a
    >> different machine. I have Dell OEM copies of ME and XP, But both of them
    >> look at the BIOS before they will load. Not a problem with my 8200 but,
    >> these are not Dells. What are the chances of making a copy of the disc
    >> and leaving out a file or something that will allow me to test these
    >> machines. They will be set up with retail software but I'd rather not
    >> buy 4 copies just to test these machines.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >

    > Three occur to me.
    >
    > 1. You could use Linux to test the machines. Either install it, say Suse
    > or Mandrake (fairly painless), or use a Live distribution like Knoppix.
    >
    > 2. Get FreeDOS. Run some share/freeware testing utilites.
    >
    > 3. Get a copy of some older version of Windows, e.g. 95, from eBay.
    >
    > It depends exactly what testing you want to do, in as much as running
    > W95 might not PROVE that WinXP will work ok. It should enable you to
    > check out the hardware finally thoroughly though. Only issue that I can
    > think of is that of drivers, in as much as USB might not be supported in
    > FreeDOS, for example.

    Although personally I'd go with a live distro like Slax or Knoppix,
    there is actually a live distro equivalent of XP. It's known as BartPE
    (o a google search for more info), and ought to allow the original
    poster to run any diagnostics he needs.

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tom Scales wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Sparky Singer" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message

    >>>Yes, the license agreement is tied to the specific Dell machine.
    >>>Installing it on another machine is violating the license agreement.
    >>
    >>Isn't it the license, i.e., the COA, that's tied to the Dell machine, not
    >>the code on the CD? Still difficult to see any problem with using the Dell
    >>CD along with the other box's COA to install Windows.
    >

    > No, my bad, I didn't focus on the last part of your sentence.

    Glad we're back on the same page, Tom

    <no pun intended>

    Ben Myers wrote:
    >Fun huh? You
    >won't find any drivers on the HP web site for the Pavilions. And
    people wonder
    >why HP systems are such a pain in the ass to deal with?
    My new HP Pavilion ze4933us laptop has all the drivers
    on the HP website....Also came with an OEM XP CD and
    a driver cd...I was quite supprised..and happy...
    I usually buy Dells but this laptop was to good a price to pass up.
    I do like on the HP that I go to help and support icon and
    click on a link that scans the computer and tells me if any
    drivers need updating and gives a link to download if they do.
    Dave

    Two have XP COAs and two have 98SE COA tags.

    I wandered out and picked up a new copy of ME from a shop that had it.
    Tested the two HP's. Need to add some memory and find a few drivers that
    will work under XP for the video cards and modems and they should be OK.
    --
    Steve W.

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
    > >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
    in
    > >them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
    for
    > >them.
    >
    > Do any of these machines have the COA on them?
    >
    > [This is where the OS version of MSDN comes in real handy, FWIW.]

    For the HP boxes, go to the HP web site, click the support radio button, put in
    the exact model (e.g. Pavilion 9999), and keep on clicking the item marked
    Product Specifications (you may need to do this several times) until you come to
    a list of actual product specifications in terms of motherboard and add-in card
    chipsets. Either print out the page or make note of all the chips, their
    manufacturers and models. Now go to the various manufacturers' web sites and
    download the drivers for the chip-and-operating system combo. Fun huh? You
    won't find any drivers on the HP web site for the Pavilions. And people wonder
    why HP systems are such a pain in the ass to deal with?

    The only thing that HP has on its web site that I would like to see on Dell's is
    a more detailed description of the chips in a system. Usually, if you know the
    service tag of a system, you can find all the drivers for the computer on the
    Dell web site. But once in a while, there is some ambiguity about exactly what
    is inside a Dell computer. That's when I'd like to know about the chips inside,
    to go with my salsa... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:32:46 -0500, "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:

    >Two have XP COAs and two have 98SE COA tags.
    >
    >I wandered out and picked up a new copy of ME from a shop that had it.
    >Tested the two HP's. Need to add some memory and find a few drivers that
    >will work under XP for the video cards and modems and they should be OK.
    >--
    >Steve W.
    >

    ><William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    >> "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
    >> >I have about 4 machines (2 IBM 2 HP) that have formatted hard drives
    >in
    >> >them. I would like to test them out before I actually buy software
    >for
    >> >them.
    >>
    >> Do any of these machines have the COA on them?
    >>
    >> [This is where the OS version of MSDN comes in real handy, FWIW.]

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

    David,

    Must be some of the Compaq influence seeping into HP after three years. The
    driver page for the Pavilion ze4933us looks very Compaqish in its layout,
    organization and content. HP may be making some progress in improving its
    on-line tech support. Heaven knows, serious improvement is needed. Try
    scouting out the drivers for an older HP Pavilion machine and see what turns up.
    Nada. Nil. Niente. Good to see that the screams and anquish of unhappy
    customers are making an impact on HPs way of doing business. Overall, I'll
    still take Dells and IBMs over HPs any day of the week... Ben Myers

    On 14 Mar 2005 19:32:10 -0800, "David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >>Fun huh? You
    >>won't find any drivers on the HP web site for the Pavilions. And
    >people wonder
    >>why HP systems are such a pain in the ass to deal with?
    >My new HP Pavilion ze4933us laptop has all the drivers
    >on the HP website....Also came with an OEM XP CD and
    >a driver cd...I was quite supprised..and happy...
    >I usually buy Dells but this laptop was to good a price to pass up.
    >I do like on the HP that I go to help and support icon and
    >click on a link that scans the computer and tells me if any
    >drivers need updating and gives a link to download if they do.
    >Dave

    "Steve W." <Dugdug56@what.com> wrote:
    >Two have XP COAs and two have 98SE COA tags.

    So (assuming you can find install disks of the appropriate flavor) you
    have licenses for those OSen on thos machines.

    >I wandered out and picked up a new copy of ME from a shop that had it.

    Danger, Will Robinson! Either upgrade those 98SE machines to XP or
    run 98SE on them, WinME (which we call LoseME around here) was pretty
    universally acknowledged (even by M$ if you read between the lines) to
    be awful.

Dell Software Computers