can't access Task Manager, command shell

I'm assisting a friend whose laptop is suffering from various malware.
I'm using various malware-removal tools, but I am hampered because I
right-click on the toolbar, select "Task Manager," and it won't display.

Similarly, I can't open a command shell or regedit, because when I do
Run and type in regedit or command.com, there's a brief flicker and
nothing else happens.

Any suggestions?

I notice that when I go offline, I see an IE window that refers to a 60
KB applications in \Windows called "seeve" that I can't delete, and
another IE window that is trying to access "ran.popuppers.com".
2 answers Last reply
More about access task manager command shell

    try booting into safe mode and running regedit. you can also access task
    manager though ctrl+shift+esc at the same time.
    "Kevin" <kevind@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > I'm assisting a friend whose laptop is suffering from various malware.
    > I'm using various malware-removal tools, but I am hampered because I
    > right-click on the toolbar, select "Task Manager," and it won't display.
    >
    > Similarly, I can't open a command shell or regedit, because when I do
    > Run and type in regedit or command.com, there's a brief flicker and
    > nothing else happens.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I notice that when I go offline, I see an IE window that refers to a 60
    > KB applications in \Windows called "seeve" that I can't delete, and
    > another IE window that is trying to access "ran.popuppers.com".

    [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
    Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    Viruses.]]

    Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:yzIle.2313$W51.16800@typhoon.sonic.net,
    Kevin <kevind@sonic.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I'm assisting a friend whose laptop is suffering from various malware.
    > I'm using various malware-removal tools, but I am hampered because I
    > right-click on the toolbar, select "Task Manager," and it won't display.
    >
    > Similarly, I can't open a command shell or regedit, because when I do
    > Run and type in regedit or command.com, there's a brief flicker and
    > nothing else happens.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I notice that when I go offline, I see an IE window that refers to a 60
    > KB applications in \Windows called "seeve" that I can't delete, and
    > another IE window that is trying to access "ran.popuppers.com".

Command Prompt Task Manager Windows XP