can't access Task Manager, command shell

May 27, 2005 9:14:06 PM

I'm assisting a friend whose laptop is suffering from various malware.
I'm using various malware-removal tools, but I am hampered because I
right-click on the toolbar, select "Task Manager," and it won't display.

Similarly, I can't open a command shell or regedit, because when I do
Run and type in regedit or command.com, there's a brief flicker and
nothing else happens.

Any suggestions?

I notice that when I go offline, I see an IE window that refers to a 60
KB applications in \Windows called "seeve" that I can't delete, and
another IE window that is trying to access "ran.popuppers.com".
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:14:07 PM

try booting into safe mode and running regedit. you can also access task
manager though ctrl+shift+esc at the same time.
"Kevin" <kevind@sonic.net> wrote in message
> I'm assisting a friend whose laptop is suffering from various malware.
> I'm using various malware-removal tools, but I am hampered because I
> right-click on the toolbar, select "Task Manager," and it won't display.
>
> Similarly, I can't open a command shell or regedit, because when I do
> Run and type in regedit or command.com, there's a brief flicker and
> nothing else happens.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I notice that when I go offline, I see an IE window that refers to a 60
> KB applications in \Windows called "seeve" that I can't delete, and
> another IE window that is trying to access "ran.popuppers.com".
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:14:07 PM

[[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
Viruses.]]

Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes