Right-click menu on desktop icon gives an error message

May 27, 2005 2:17:59 PM

The computer in question is running Windows XP SP2 and Outlook 2000.

When I right-click on the Outlook shortcut on the desktop and select
Properties, Windows pops up with an error message that says "The
properties for this item are not available."

Anyone got an idea how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:07:31 PM

Delete the Outlook shortcut and create a new one.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1117214279.870802.255730@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
peterclapper@gmail.com <peterclapper@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> The computer in question is running Windows XP SP2 and Outlook 2000.
>
> When I right-click on the Outlook shortcut on the desktop and select
> Properties, Windows pops up with an error message that says "The
> properties for this item are not available."
>
> Anyone got an idea how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!
May 31, 2005 3:08:37 PM

Sorry for the delay in response... holiday weekend and all.

The shortcut I'm referring to is the one that is put on the desktop by
default when you install Office. It's got the special right-click menu
to access the properties of the profiles directly. How do I replace
that special shortcut? Do I have to do a Repair on the Office
installation?

Thanks again.
Related resources
May 31, 2005 5:54:25 PM

Never mind! I did the Repair on Office with the Fix Shortcuts and was
able to get the original, working shortcut back. Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:54:10 PM

Glad you got it fixed. :-)

--