Right-click menu on desktop icon gives an error message

The computer in question is running Windows XP SP2 and Outlook 2000.

When I right-click on the Outlook shortcut on the desktop and select
Properties, Windows pops up with an error message that says "The
properties for this item are not available."

Anyone got an idea how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about right click menu desktop icon error message

    Delete the Outlook shortcut and create a new one.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1117214279.870802.255730@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    peterclapper@gmail.com <peterclapper@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > The computer in question is running Windows XP SP2 and Outlook 2000.
    >
    > When I right-click on the Outlook shortcut on the desktop and select
    > Properties, Windows pops up with an error message that says "The
    > properties for this item are not available."
    >
    > Anyone got an idea how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!

    Sorry for the delay in response... holiday weekend and all.

    The shortcut I'm referring to is the one that is put on the desktop by
    default when you install Office. It's got the special right-click menu
    to access the properties of the profiles directly. How do I replace
    that special shortcut? Do I have to do a Repair on the Office
    installation?

    Thanks again.

    Never mind! I did the Repair on Office with the Fix Shortcuts and was
    able to get the original, working shortcut back. Thanks for your help.

    Glad you got it fixed. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1117572865.852843.281350@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    Pete <peterclapper@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Never mind! I did the Repair on Office with the Fix Shortcuts and was
    > able to get the original, working shortcut back. Thanks for your help.

Desktops Error Message Windows XP