What would you do?

Last response: in Video Games
June 19, 2005 7:50:28 PM

Hey guys,
I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have still
not received the item. Within the 3 days from the end of the auction I
received a delivery confirmation number if you look up the number it states
this to this day "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the
shipper or shipping partner on May 18, 2005 to expect your package for
mailing. No further information is available for this item." I talked to the
mail carrier and she told me people can get those numbers and still not mail
the item which makes sense to me because here is what it says for an item I
mailed before it was delivered. "Your item was accepted at 4:02 pm on June
15, 2005 in PLEASANT PRAIRIE, WI 53158" now I have been in contact with this
person and they claim to have mailed it but have no proof. I asked for a
refund and said if the product arrived I would gladly resend the money back.
The response I got was "my policies for shipping and sales, if you failed to
read them were, no returns and no refunds. I cannot be held responsible for
the actions of the post office once it leaves my hands. Well part of that is
true the only thing the auction said is no returns. Anyway I have no problem
with that it is a very small amount of money but the fact is I am not rich.
If this was me I would have refunded the money to avoid neg feedback. So
what do I do leave neg feedback or no feedback at all? His story could be
true about the post office losing it. However if it is not then he will get
away with ripping me off....Sorry this is so long but before I continue and
may tarnish someone's feedback I want some advice.....Thank you John

More about : question

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:50:29 PM

In 20 years I can count on one hand the number of items I lost in the
USPS. Very unlikely it got lost. Broken, well that's another story. Did
you ask the post office about filing a claim? I'm not sure how much
more you can do. If you payed with credit card or PayPal you might be
able to recover your cost. But then you'd most certainly get a -neg. If
it were me and the P.O. claim didn't pan out, I'd leave a neutral and
state the facts.

- Craig
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:50:29 PM

Who's the seller?

- Craig
June 19, 2005 7:50:29 PM

dig154 wrote:
> Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
> postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the package
> when received.

You do not have to purchase postage to print a label at the USPS
website. I quit paying postage when printing after a problem getting a
refund on a label that did not print. So it IS POSSIBLE to go print a
label, get a number, and play the game at your expense.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:17:39 PM

I really don't have to worry about me the seller already left me Pos
feedback I just have not left any thing for him yet.....seller is
larryraygary....

"John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
> I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
> still not received the item. Within the 3 days from the end of the auction
> I received a delivery confirmation number if you look up the number it
> states this to this day "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically
> notified by the shipper or shipping partner on May 18, 2005 to expect your
> package for mailing. No further information is available for this item." I
> talked to the mail carrier and she told me people can get those numbers
> and still not mail the item which makes sense to me because here is what
> it says for an item I mailed before it was delivered. "Your item was
> accepted at 4:02 pm on June 15, 2005 in PLEASANT PRAIRIE, WI 53158" now I
> have been in contact with this person and they claim to have mailed it but
> have no proof. I asked for a refund and said if the product arrived I
> would gladly resend the money back. The response I got was "my policies
> for shipping and sales, if you failed to read them were, no returns and no
> refunds. I cannot be held responsible for the actions of the post office
> once it leaves my hands. Well part of that is true the only thing the
> auction said is no returns. Anyway I have no problem with that it is a
> very small amount of money but the fact is I am not rich. If this was me I
> would have refunded the money to avoid neg feedback. So what do I do leave
> neg feedback or no feedback at all? His story could be true about the post
> office losing it. However if it is not then he will get away with ripping
> me off....Sorry this is so long but before I continue and may tarnish
> someone's feedback I want some advice.....Thank you John

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:17:40 PM

I was in a situation similar to this... bought what I thought was an
original Pet Rock for my daughters birthday (yes, a Pet Rock).
Description read just like it was an original, but was a year 2000
remake. I was very patient and polite, but asked for a full refund due
to misrepresentation. She replied that it was AS-IS and I should have
inferred that it was a remake by the picture.

To make a long story short, I tried for weeks for her to give me a
refund (politely), but she wouldn't. Finally, I reluctantly left the
first negative feedback I have ever left. Lucky for me she had already
left positive for me so I didn't get a negative.

I stay professional. Tell them that if you don't get a refund then you
will have to "take the next step" or something like that. I wouldn't say
"leave a negative" because it might be construed as feedback extortion
(probably not, but why take a chance). Remember, you have a good while
to leave neg feedback, so exhaust all options first... and stay
professional - even when you leave neg. feedback.

Cheers!
-Dave

"John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D Ugte.16261$lI2.984@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
>I really don't have to worry about me the seller already left me Pos
>feedback I just have not left any thing for him yet.....seller is
>larryraygary....
<<snip>>
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 8:24:29 PM

Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the package
when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean the package is
lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it wasn't taken
direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't scan the package
at receipt, then you're going to see the "electronically notified by the
shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's actually delivered
to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS tracking... in fact I think it's
pretty worthless.

IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're SOL.
Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their terms.

Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a big
difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then it's
clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for blood...

"John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message

> Hey guys,
> I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
> still not received the item.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:39:19 AM

I'd leave this feedback.

Never received item, seller won't give refund, and won't resolve problem.

Negative

Ron

"John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
> I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
> still not received the item. Within the 3 days from the end of the auction
> I received a delivery confirmation number if you look up the number it
> states this to this day "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically
> notified by the shipper or shipping partner on May 18, 2005 to expect your
> package for mailing. No further information is available for this item." I
> talked to the mail carrier and she told me people can get those numbers
> and still not mail the item which makes sense to me because here is what
> it says for an item I mailed before it was delivered. "Your item was
> accepted at 4:02 pm on June 15, 2005 in PLEASANT PRAIRIE, WI 53158" now I
> have been in contact with this person and they claim to have mailed it but
> have no proof. I asked for a refund and said if the product arrived I
> would gladly resend the money back. The response I got was "my policies
> for shipping and sales, if you failed to read them were, no returns and no
> refunds. I cannot be held responsible for the actions of the post office
> once it leaves my hands. Well part of that is true the only thing the
> auction said is no returns. Anyway I have no problem with that it is a
> very small amount of money but the fact is I am not rich. If this was me I
> would have refunded the money to avoid neg feedback. So what do I do leave
> neg feedback or no feedback at all? His story could be true about the post
> office losing it. However if it is not then he will get away with ripping
> me off....Sorry this is so long but before I continue and may tarnish
> someone's feedback I want some advice.....Thank you John

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:45:43 AM

It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the principal of
it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care about the
money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave. I don't
want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not sure I want
to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral and he did not mail
it. That would says he got away with it. Does that make sense to you
all......

"dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
> postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the
> package when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean the
> package is lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it
> wasn't taken direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't
> scan the package at receipt, then you're going to see the "electronically
> notified by the shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's
> actually delivered to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS tracking...
> in fact I think it's pretty worthless.
>
> IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
> confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're
> SOL. Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their
> terms.
>
> Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a big
> difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then it's
> clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for
> blood...
>
> "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>> Hey guys,
>> I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
>> still not received the item.

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:36:03 AM

Let's face it John, the feedback system is there to warn others about the
personality of the seller and buyer. If you DID infact feel you were
wronged then I would absolutely leave a negative... let's face it, you paid
for an item you never received... how could you NOT feel you were scammed...
someone else wanting to buy from this person deserves to know this.

on the other hand... the person DID leave you positive feedback before you
left it for him... this sort of infers that he fully believed that the
auction was going to be completed positively on both ends (either that or
the person is just stupid). Because of this it may very well have been lost
in the mail...

steve

> It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the principal of
> it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care about
> the money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave. I
> don't want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not
> sure I want to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral and
> he did not mail it. That would says he got away with it. Does that make
> sense to you all......
>
> "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
>> postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the
>> package when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean the
>> package is lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it
>> wasn't taken direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't
>> scan the package at receipt, then you're going to see the "electronically
>> notified by the shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's
>> actually delivered to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS tracking...
>> in fact I think it's pretty worthless.
>>
>> IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
>> confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're
>> SOL. Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their
>> terms.
>>
>> Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a big
>> difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then it's
>> clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for
>> blood...
>>
>> "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>> I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
>>> still not received the item.

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:03:19 AM

For a $6 item where the guy left you pos. feedback upon payment, I hardly
think he was trying to scam you or pull one over on you. When a similar
thing happened to me, I just didn't leave any feedback. If I were in this
situation, I would have to give the seller the benefit of the doubt given
the circumstances. I think even a neutral might be a little harsh. IMO, a
negative is completely uncalled for given the circumstances (small amount of
money and positive feedback left for you immediately).

My $0.02

Dane.

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Let's face it John, the feedback system is there to warn others about the
> personality of the seller and buyer. If you DID infact feel you were
> wronged then I would absolutely leave a negative... let's face it, you
paid
> for an item you never received... how could you NOT feel you were
scammed...
> someone else wanting to buy from this person deserves to know this.
>
> on the other hand... the person DID leave you positive feedback before you
> left it for him... this sort of infers that he fully believed that the
> auction was going to be completed positively on both ends (either that or
> the person is just stupid). Because of this it may very well have been
lost
> in the mail...
>
> steve
>
> "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> > It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the principal
of
> > it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care about
> > the money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave. I
> > don't want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not
> > sure I want to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral and
> > he did not mail it. That would says he got away with it. Does that make
> > sense to you all......
> >
> > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
> >> postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the
> >> package when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean
the
> >> package is lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it
> >> wasn't taken direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't
> >> scan the package at receipt, then you're going to see the
"electronically
> >> notified by the shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's
> >> actually delivered to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS
tracking...
> >> in fact I think it's pretty worthless.
> >>
> >> IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
> >> confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're
> >> SOL. Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their
> >> terms.
> >>
> >> Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a
big
> >> difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then
it's
> >> clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for
> >> blood...
> >>
> >> "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:00:08 PM

I think a neutral is way to soft and a negative is DEFINITELY called for. A
decent seller would refund the $6 if they couldn't show that the item was
delivered.

Herb Schanke

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> For a $6 item where the guy left you pos. feedback upon payment, I hardly
> think he was trying to scam you or pull one over on you. When a similar
> thing happened to me, I just didn't leave any feedback. If I were in this
> situation, I would have to give the seller the benefit of the doubt given
> the circumstances. I think even a neutral might be a little harsh. IMO,
> negative is completely uncalled for given the circumstances (small amount
of
> money and positive feedback left for you immediately).
>
> My $0.02
>
> Dane.
>

> "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Let's face it John, the feedback system is there to warn others about
the
> > personality of the seller and buyer. If you DID infact feel you were
> > wronged then I would absolutely leave a negative... let's face it, you
> paid
> > for an item you never received... how could you NOT feel you were
> scammed...
> > someone else wanting to buy from this person deserves to know this.
> >
> > on the other hand... the person DID leave you positive feedback before
you
> > left it for him... this sort of infers that he fully believed that the
> > auction was going to be completed positively on both ends (either that
or
> > the person is just stupid). Because of this it may very well have been
> lost
> > in the mail...
> >
> > steve
> >
> > "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the
principal
> of
> > > it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care
about
> > > the money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave.
> > > don't want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not
> > > sure I want to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral
and
> > > he did not mail it. That would says he got away with it. Does that
make
> > > sense to you all......
> > >
> > > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Mail
> the
> "electronically
> tracking...

> big
> it's

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:31:12 PM

"Herb Schanke" <hschanke@nfco.com> wrote in message
>I think a neutral is way to soft and a negative is DEFINITELY called for.
> decent seller would refund the $6 if they couldn't show that the item was
> delivered. >> My $0.02

Lets look at this for a moment. We dont have all the info - there is one
thing we need to know. Was shipping insurance offered at extra cost and
declined? If so that places the burden totally on the buyer. Even the best
seller in the world, unless he is hand delivering, cannot warrant the
performance of the Post Office or UPS etc. As mentioned before, the fact
the seller left an immediate positive is a really strong indication that he
shipped the item and anticipated a smooth transaction, with his positive
coming after the item arrived.

Even absent the insurance issue, the situation is not all that clear. How
much liability does a seller assume, other than an honest description, good
packing, and actually getting the item to the shipper? If you yourself, a
person of integrity and good intent, mails a package that never arrives,
would you refund it knowing for sure that you did indeed correctly address
it and mail it? What if the item instead of being $6 was $60? $600?

What I am pointing out is the issue is not crystal clear. As a business
person, my policy is to offer insurance on eBay transactions, keep the money
paid by the bidder for insurance, and self insure. If an insured shipment
(US only) doesnt arrive after 30 days, I refund both the bid price and the
shipping charges, no muss no fuss. If the bidder declined insurance, my
stand is that the non-arrival is not my problem; of course, this is also
clearly stated in the auction description. My reation to a non-insured
non-delivery will vary depending on the feedback of the buyer, value of the
item, and scarcity. I will sometimes replace a non-delivered item; I will
generally not refund, if insurance was declined.

For a hobbyist, the situation is a bit more relaxed. My choice to replace a
non-insured non-delivered item is basically advertising; I feel that having
been warned that the declination of insurance makes the buyer liable, I have
no legal or moral obligation to make right a missing shipment, and doing so
is done merely to build reputation and good will. If I were not looking at
longterm feedback and reputation, I would probably figure that he buyer had
his chance to insure and declined.

Anyway, I ramble.
Art
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:05:13 PM

"Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
wrote in message news:kMTte.83464$HT1.29656@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> "Herb Schanke" <hschanke@nfco.com> wrote in message
> >I think a neutral is way to soft and a negative is DEFINITELY called for.
> > decent seller would refund the $6 if they couldn't show that the item
was
> > delivered. >> My $0.02
> >>

> Even absent the insurance issue, the situation is not all that clear. How
> much liability does a seller assume, other than an honest description,
good
> packing, and actually getting the item to the shipper? If you yourself, a
> person of integrity and good intent, mails a package that never arrives,
> would you refund it knowing for sure that you did indeed correctly address
> it and mail it? What if the item instead of being $6 was $60? $600?
>

> Anyway, I ramble.
> Art

My position is stated pretty well by building on what you wrote above.

A person of integrity and good intent (key words), who mails a package that
never arrives, WOULD refund payment even knowing for sure that they did
indeed correctly address it and mail it, no matter what the amount.

I see the buyer/seller relationship as a two way street with equal
responsibilities. As a buyer, my obligation isn't completed until the
seller receives payment. Just mailing it isn't enough. As a seller, my
obligation isn't satisfied until the buyer receives the merchandise. The
obligation doesn't end when I drop it off at the post office. As a seller
it's my responsibility to make sure my ass is covered by using delivery
confirmation, insurance, etc. so that I can fulfill my obligation of getting
the merchandise to the buyer.

Herb Schanke
!