What would you do?

Hey guys,
I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have still
not received the item. Within the 3 days from the end of the auction I
received a delivery confirmation number if you look up the number it states
this to this day "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the
shipper or shipping partner on May 18, 2005 to expect your package for
mailing. No further information is available for this item." I talked to the
mail carrier and she told me people can get those numbers and still not mail
the item which makes sense to me because here is what it says for an item I
mailed before it was delivered. "Your item was accepted at 4:02 pm on June
15, 2005 in PLEASANT PRAIRIE, WI 53158" now I have been in contact with this
person and they claim to have mailed it but have no proof. I asked for a
refund and said if the product arrived I would gladly resend the money back.
The response I got was "my policies for shipping and sales, if you failed to
read them were, no returns and no refunds. I cannot be held responsible for
the actions of the post office once it leaves my hands. Well part of that is
true the only thing the auction said is no returns. Anyway I have no problem
with that it is a very small amount of money but the fact is I am not rich.
If this was me I would have refunded the money to avoid neg feedback. So
what do I do leave neg feedback or no feedback at all? His story could be
true about the post office losing it. However if it is not then he will get
away with ripping me off....Sorry this is so long but before I continue and
may tarnish someone's feedback I want some advice.....Thank you John
13 answers Last reply
More about what

    In 20 years I can count on one hand the number of items I lost in the
    USPS. Very unlikely it got lost. Broken, well that's another story. Did
    you ask the post office about filing a claim? I'm not sure how much
    more you can do. If you payed with credit card or PayPal you might be
    able to recover your cost. But then you'd most certainly get a -neg. If
    it were me and the P.O. claim didn't pan out, I'd leave a neutral and
    state the facts.

    - Craig

    Who's the seller?

    - Craig

    dig154 wrote:
    > Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
    > postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the package
    > when received.

    You do not have to purchase postage to print a label at the USPS
    website. I quit paying postage when printing after a problem getting a
    refund on a label that did not print. So it IS POSSIBLE to go print a
    label, get a number, and play the game at your expense.

    I really don't have to worry about me the seller already left me Pos
    feedback I just have not left any thing for him yet.....seller is
    larryraygary....

    "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    > I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
    > still not received the item. Within the 3 days from the end of the auction
    > I received a delivery confirmation number if you look up the number it
    > states this to this day "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically
    > notified by the shipper or shipping partner on May 18, 2005 to expect your
    > package for mailing. No further information is available for this item." I
    > talked to the mail carrier and she told me people can get those numbers
    > and still not mail the item which makes sense to me because here is what
    > it says for an item I mailed before it was delivered. "Your item was
    > accepted at 4:02 pm on June 15, 2005 in PLEASANT PRAIRIE, WI 53158" now I
    > have been in contact with this person and they claim to have mailed it but
    > have no proof. I asked for a refund and said if the product arrived I
    > would gladly resend the money back. The response I got was "my policies
    > for shipping and sales, if you failed to read them were, no returns and no
    > refunds. I cannot be held responsible for the actions of the post office
    > once it leaves my hands. Well part of that is true the only thing the
    > auction said is no returns. Anyway I have no problem with that it is a
    > very small amount of money but the fact is I am not rich. If this was me I
    > would have refunded the money to avoid neg feedback. So what do I do leave
    > neg feedback or no feedback at all? His story could be true about the post
    > office losing it. However if it is not then he will get away with ripping
    > me off....Sorry this is so long but before I continue and may tarnish
    > someone's feedback I want some advice.....Thank you John

    I was in a situation similar to this... bought what I thought was an
    original Pet Rock for my daughters birthday (yes, a Pet Rock).
    Description read just like it was an original, but was a year 2000
    remake. I was very patient and polite, but asked for a full refund due
    to misrepresentation. She replied that it was AS-IS and I should have
    inferred that it was a remake by the picture.

    To make a long story short, I tried for weeks for her to give me a
    refund (politely), but she wouldn't. Finally, I reluctantly left the
    first negative feedback I have ever left. Lucky for me she had already
    left positive for me so I didn't get a negative.

    I stay professional. Tell them that if you don't get a refund then you
    will have to "take the next step" or something like that. I wouldn't say
    "leave a negative" because it might be construed as feedback extortion
    (probably not, but why take a chance). Remember, you have a good while
    to leave neg feedback, so exhaust all options first... and stay
    professional - even when you leave neg. feedback.

    Cheers!
    -Dave

    >I really don't have to worry about me the seller already left me Pos
    >feedback I just have not left any thing for him yet.....seller is
    >larryraygary....
    <<snip>>

    Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
    postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the package
    when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean the package is
    lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it wasn't taken
    direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't scan the package
    at receipt, then you're going to see the "electronically notified by the
    shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's actually delivered
    to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS tracking... in fact I think it's
    pretty worthless.

    IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
    confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're SOL.
    Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their terms.

    Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a big
    difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then it's
    clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for blood...

    "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message

    > Hey guys,
    > I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
    > still not received the item.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'd leave this feedback.

    Never received item, seller won't give refund, and won't resolve problem.

    Negative

    Ron

    "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    > I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
    > still not received the item. Within the 3 days from the end of the auction
    > I received a delivery confirmation number if you look up the number it
    > states this to this day "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically
    > notified by the shipper or shipping partner on May 18, 2005 to expect your
    > package for mailing. No further information is available for this item." I
    > talked to the mail carrier and she told me people can get those numbers
    > and still not mail the item which makes sense to me because here is what
    > it says for an item I mailed before it was delivered. "Your item was
    > accepted at 4:02 pm on June 15, 2005 in PLEASANT PRAIRIE, WI 53158" now I
    > have been in contact with this person and they claim to have mailed it but
    > have no proof. I asked for a refund and said if the product arrived I
    > would gladly resend the money back. The response I got was "my policies
    > for shipping and sales, if you failed to read them were, no returns and no
    > refunds. I cannot be held responsible for the actions of the post office
    > once it leaves my hands. Well part of that is true the only thing the
    > auction said is no returns. Anyway I have no problem with that it is a
    > very small amount of money but the fact is I am not rich. If this was me I
    > would have refunded the money to avoid neg feedback. So what do I do leave
    > neg feedback or no feedback at all? His story could be true about the post
    > office losing it. However if it is not then he will get away with ripping
    > me off....Sorry this is so long but before I continue and may tarnish
    > someone's feedback I want some advice.....Thank you John

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the principal of
    it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care about the
    money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave. I don't
    want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not sure I want
    to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral and he did not mail
    it. That would says he got away with it. Does that make sense to you
    all......

    "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
    > postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the
    > package when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean the
    > package is lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it
    > wasn't taken direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't
    > scan the package at receipt, then you're going to see the "electronically
    > notified by the shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's
    > actually delivered to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS tracking...
    > in fact I think it's pretty worthless.
    >
    > IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
    > confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're
    > SOL. Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their
    > terms.
    >
    > Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a big
    > difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then it's
    > clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for
    > blood...
    >
    > "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hey guys,
    >> I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
    >> still not received the item.

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Let's face it John, the feedback system is there to warn others about the
    personality of the seller and buyer. If you DID infact feel you were
    wronged then I would absolutely leave a negative... let's face it, you paid
    for an item you never received... how could you NOT feel you were scammed...
    someone else wanting to buy from this person deserves to know this.

    on the other hand... the person DID leave you positive feedback before you
    left it for him... this sort of infers that he fully believed that the
    auction was going to be completed positively on both ends (either that or
    the person is just stupid). Because of this it may very well have been lost
    in the mail...

    steve

    > It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the principal of
    > it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care about
    > the money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave. I
    > don't want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not
    > sure I want to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral and
    > he did not mail it. That would says he got away with it. Does that make
    > sense to you all......
    >
    > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
    >> postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the
    >> package when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean the
    >> package is lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it
    >> wasn't taken direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't
    >> scan the package at receipt, then you're going to see the "electronically
    >> notified by the shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's
    >> actually delivered to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS tracking...
    >> in fact I think it's pretty worthless.
    >>
    >> IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
    >> confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're
    >> SOL. Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their
    >> terms.
    >>
    >> Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a big
    >> difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then it's
    >> clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for
    >> blood...
    >>
    >> "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hey guys,
    >>> I have a dilemma here. I won an EBay auction over a month ago and have
    >>> still not received the item.

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    For a $6 item where the guy left you pos. feedback upon payment, I hardly
    think he was trying to scam you or pull one over on you. When a similar
    thing happened to me, I just didn't leave any feedback. If I were in this
    situation, I would have to give the seller the benefit of the doubt given
    the circumstances. I think even a neutral might be a little harsh. IMO, a
    negative is completely uncalled for given the circumstances (small amount of
    money and positive feedback left for you immediately).

    My $0.02

    Dane.

    "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Let's face it John, the feedback system is there to warn others about the
    > personality of the seller and buyer. If you DID infact feel you were
    > wronged then I would absolutely leave a negative... let's face it, you
    paid
    > for an item you never received... how could you NOT feel you were
    scammed...
    > someone else wanting to buy from this person deserves to know this.
    >
    > on the other hand... the person DID leave you positive feedback before you
    > left it for him... this sort of infers that he fully believed that the
    > auction was going to be completed positively on both ends (either that or
    > the person is just stupid). Because of this it may very well have been
    lost
    > in the mail...
    >
    > steve
    >
    > "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the principal
    of
    > > it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care about
    > > the money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave. I
    > > don't want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not
    > > sure I want to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral and
    > > he did not mail it. That would says he got away with it. Does that make
    > > sense to you all......
    > >
    > > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Sounds like the seller used the USPS website to purchase Priority Mail
    > >> postage and print out a shipping label, but the PO never scanned the
    > >> package when received. Happens all the time and usually doesn't mean
    the
    > >> package is lost. Usually it means the route carrier picked it up and it
    > >> wasn't taken direct to the PO counter by the shipper. If the PO didn't
    > >> scan the package at receipt, then you're going to see the
    "electronically
    > >> notified by the shipper" message. It won't get scanned again until it's
    > >> actually delivered to you. USPS tracking is nothing like UPS
    tracking...
    > >> in fact I think it's pretty worthless.
    > >>
    > >> IMO the seller probably did mail you the package since you got a
    > >> confirmation number, but they didn't buy insurance so they know they're
    > >> SOL. Therefore, they're saying it's your fault for not reading their
    > >> terms.
    > >>
    > >> Did the shipper offer or even mention insurance at all? That makes a
    big
    > >> difference and is the key. If they offered it and you declined, then
    it's
    > >> clearly your fault. If they never mentioned it, then I'd be out for
    > >> blood...
    > >>
    > >> "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I think a neutral is way to soft and a negative is DEFINITELY called for. A
    decent seller would refund the $6 if they couldn't show that the item was
    delivered.

    Herb Schanke

    "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
    > For a $6 item where the guy left you pos. feedback upon payment, I hardly
    > think he was trying to scam you or pull one over on you. When a similar
    > thing happened to me, I just didn't leave any feedback. If I were in this
    > situation, I would have to give the seller the benefit of the doubt given
    > the circumstances. I think even a neutral might be a little harsh. IMO,
    > negative is completely uncalled for given the circumstances (small amount
    of
    > money and positive feedback left for you immediately).
    >
    > My $0.02
    >
    > Dane.
    >

    > "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Let's face it John, the feedback system is there to warn others about
    the
    > > personality of the seller and buyer. If you DID infact feel you were
    > > wronged then I would absolutely leave a negative... let's face it, you
    > paid
    > > for an item you never received... how could you NOT feel you were
    > scammed...
    > > someone else wanting to buy from this person deserves to know this.
    > >
    > > on the other hand... the person DID leave you positive feedback before
    you
    > > left it for him... this sort of infers that he fully believed that the
    > > auction was going to be completed positively on both ends (either that
    or
    > > the person is just stupid). Because of this it may very well have been
    > lost
    > > in the mail...
    > >
    > > steve
    > >
    > > "John Hacker" <tmc@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > It's not a money thing so insurance is not a factor it is the
    principal
    > of
    > > > it all. The auction was for only like 6.00 dollars so I don't care
    about
    > > > the money. I am just debating on what kind of feedback I should leave.
    > > > don't want to leave pos because I never received the item and I am not
    > > > sure I want to leave neg for a measly 6 bucks but if I leave neutral
    and
    > > > he did not mail it. That would says he got away with it. Does that
    make
    > > > sense to you all......
    > > >
    > > > "dig154" <dig154@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Mail
    > the
    > "electronically
    > tracking...

    > big
    > it's

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Herb Schanke" <hschanke@nfco.com> wrote in message
    >I think a neutral is way to soft and a negative is DEFINITELY called for.
    > decent seller would refund the $6 if they couldn't show that the item was
    > delivered. >> My $0.02

    Lets look at this for a moment. We dont have all the info - there is one
    thing we need to know. Was shipping insurance offered at extra cost and
    declined? If so that places the burden totally on the buyer. Even the best
    seller in the world, unless he is hand delivering, cannot warrant the
    performance of the Post Office or UPS etc. As mentioned before, the fact
    the seller left an immediate positive is a really strong indication that he
    shipped the item and anticipated a smooth transaction, with his positive
    coming after the item arrived.

    Even absent the insurance issue, the situation is not all that clear. How
    much liability does a seller assume, other than an honest description, good
    packing, and actually getting the item to the shipper? If you yourself, a
    person of integrity and good intent, mails a package that never arrives,
    would you refund it knowing for sure that you did indeed correctly address
    it and mail it? What if the item instead of being $6 was $60? $600?

    What I am pointing out is the issue is not crystal clear. As a business
    person, my policy is to offer insurance on eBay transactions, keep the money
    paid by the bidder for insurance, and self insure. If an insured shipment
    (US only) doesnt arrive after 30 days, I refund both the bid price and the
    shipping charges, no muss no fuss. If the bidder declined insurance, my
    stand is that the non-arrival is not my problem; of course, this is also
    clearly stated in the auction description. My reation to a non-insured
    non-delivery will vary depending on the feedback of the buyer, value of the
    item, and scarcity. I will sometimes replace a non-delivered item; I will
    generally not refund, if insurance was declined.

    For a hobbyist, the situation is a bit more relaxed. My choice to replace a
    non-insured non-delivered item is basically advertising; I feel that having
    been warned that the declination of insurance makes the buyer liable, I have
    no legal or moral obligation to make right a missing shipment, and doing so
    is done merely to build reputation and good will. If I were not looking at
    longterm feedback and reputation, I would probably figure that he buyer had
    his chance to insure and declined.

    Anyway, I ramble.
    Art
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
    wrote in message news:kMTte.83464$HT1.29656@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    > "Herb Schanke" <hschanke@nfco.com> wrote in message
    > >I think a neutral is way to soft and a negative is DEFINITELY called for.
    > > decent seller would refund the $6 if they couldn't show that the item
    was
    > > delivered. >> My $0.02
    > >>

    > Even absent the insurance issue, the situation is not all that clear. How
    > much liability does a seller assume, other than an honest description,
    good
    > packing, and actually getting the item to the shipper? If you yourself, a
    > person of integrity and good intent, mails a package that never arrives,
    > would you refund it knowing for sure that you did indeed correctly address
    > it and mail it? What if the item instead of being $6 was $60? $600?
    >

    > Anyway, I ramble.
    > Art

    My position is stated pretty well by building on what you wrote above.

    A person of integrity and good intent (key words), who mails a package that
    never arrives, WOULD refund payment even knowing for sure that they did
    indeed correctly address it and mail it, no matter what the amount.

    I see the buyer/seller relationship as a two way street with equal
    responsibilities. As a buyer, my obligation isn't completed until the
    seller receives payment. Just mailing it isn't enough. As a seller, my
    obligation isn't satisfied until the buyer receives the merchandise. The
    obligation doesn't end when I drop it off at the post office. As a seller
    it's my responsibility to make sure my ass is covered by using delivery
    confirmation, insurance, etc. so that I can fulfill my obligation of getting
    the merchandise to the buyer.

    Herb Schanke

Video Games Product