XP Will Not Start

My laptop froze for the first time ever. I restarted it and it was
working fine, but all of sudden it turned off. When I started it up,
it wouldn't make it to the Windows XP screen without stopping. It did
eventually work once, and I started it with the last known settings
that worked. XP ran a scan before it started and found that there were
corrupt file records in 1480 and 1483 in index $ISO, and that
oleacc.dll and oledlg.dll needed to be removed. XP then went on to
start up like normal, but a warning came up saying that keyhook.exe was
missing. I tried to run Live Update for Nortons Anti-Virus, and the
computer turned off again.

I ran Spybot in normal mode, and there were no problems. I started it
up in safe mode, and ran Nortons, which said that there were no
viruses. The computer then turned itself off, and I haven't been able
to boot it up since. When I hit the power button, the power light
comes on and the fan starts running, but nothing comes on the screen
and the processor is not doing anything.

The only program I have installed recently is the new version on
Winamp, which I installed yesterday. After the problems began, I
deleted WinAmp completely.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

neuhausa@hotmail.com wrote:
> My laptop froze for the first time ever. I restarted it and it was
> working fine, but all of sudden it turned off. When I started it up,
> it wouldn't make it to the Windows XP screen without stopping. It did
> eventually work once, and I started it with the last known settings
> that worked. XP ran a scan before it started and found that there
> were corrupt file records in 1480 and 1483 in index $ISO, and that
> oleacc.dll and oledlg.dll needed to be removed. XP then went on to
> start up like normal, but a warning came up saying that keyhook.exe
> was missing. I tried to run Live Update for Nortons Anti-Virus, and
> the computer turned off again.
>
> I ran Spybot in normal mode, and there were no problems. I started it
> up in safe mode, and ran Nortons, which said that there were no
> viruses. The computer then turned itself off, and I haven't been able
> to boot it up since. When I hit the power button, the power light
> comes on and the fan starts running, but nothing comes on the screen
> and the processor is not doing anything.
>
> The only program I have installed recently is the new version on
> Winamp, which I installed yesterday. After the problems began, I
> deleted WinAmp completely.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Have you Googled to see what keyhook.exe is? No, you have not.

Yes, I have several times. It seems like an odd program, and lots of
people wonder what it does, but it seems to be a non-threat.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> neuhausa@hotmail.com wrote:
> > My laptop froze for the first time ever. I restarted it and it was
> > working fine, but all of sudden it turned off. When I started it up,
> > it wouldn't make it to the Windows XP screen without stopping. It did
> > eventually work once, and I started it with the last known settings
> > that worked. XP ran a scan before it started and found that there
> > were corrupt file records in 1480 and 1483 in index $ISO, and that
> > oleacc.dll and oledlg.dll needed to be removed. XP then went on to
> > start up like normal, but a warning came up saying that keyhook.exe
> > was missing. I tried to run Live Update for Nortons Anti-Virus, and
> > the computer turned off again.
> >
> > I ran Spybot in normal mode, and there were no problems. I started it
> > up in safe mode, and ran Nortons, which said that there were no
> > viruses. The computer then turned itself off, and I haven't been able
> > to boot it up since. When I hit the power button, the power light
> > comes on and the fan starts running, but nothing comes on the screen
> > and the processor is not doing anything.
> >
> > The only program I have installed recently is the new version on
> > Winamp, which I installed yesterday. After the problems began, I
> > deleted WinAmp completely.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andrew
>
> Have you Googled to see what keyhook.exe is? No, you have not.
>
> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

TRENDING THREADS