computer stops responding while deleting temporary interne..

this problem has plagued me for a couple of weeks.
every time i go into internet properties, and attempt to delete temporary
internet files, including offline content, the program stops responding. i am
able to do other things, but the delete program needs to manually be
cancelled to stop.
any help would be greatly appreciated, because i think this problem is the
cause of another problem i am having.
1 answer Last reply
More about computer stops responding deleting temporary interne

    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
    and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.
    -----

    If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
    when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
    want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1D071695-121B-4596-89F7-8B0C6EC56228@microsoft.com,
    dcj666 <dcj666@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > this problem has plagued me for a couple of weeks.
    > every time i go into internet properties, and attempt to delete temporary
    > internet files, including offline content, the program stops responding.
    > i am able to do other things, but the delete program needs to manually be
    > cancelled to stop.
    > any help would be greatly appreciated, because i think this problem is the
    > cause of another problem i am having.

Internet Computers Windows XP