computer stops responding while deleting temporary interne..

Tags:
  • Internet
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
May 27, 2005 6:16:02 PM

this problem has plagued me for a couple of weeks.
every time i go into internet properties, and attempt to delete temporary
internet files, including offline content, the program stops responding. i am
able to do other things, but the delete program needs to manually be
cancelled to stop.
any help would be greatly appreciated, because i think this problem is the
cause of another problem i am having.

More about : computer stops responding deleting temporary interne

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:53:48 PM

Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User