wireless and wired Ethernet adapters in the same computer

I have a wireless PCMCIA card and a wired ethernet adapter in a Toshiba
laptop that is running Win98.

1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
between them)?

2. Is there a way in Win98 to set the SSID of the wireless adapter?
I have no manual or specific software for the PCMCIA card it seems.

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless wired ethernet adapters computer

    Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in news:f4Fdc.14607$BF2.1248414
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > 1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
    > between them)?

    You need to use the route command... or disable one of the adapters.

    > 2. Is there a way in Win98 to set the SSID of the wireless adapter?
    > I have no manual or specific software for the PCMCIA card it seems.

    I believe you need to install the software that came with the wireless
    card. Only Windows XP (and maybe 2000) has built in wireless software.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote:

    >I have a wireless PCMCIA card and a wired ethernet adapter in a Toshiba
    >laptop that is running Win98.
    >
    >1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
    >between them)?

    I have the same set-up. You can run winipcfg and the select the card
    that you don't want to use and then release it. I also made (2) batch
    files that will release-wireless renew-wired and release-wired
    renew-wireless

    Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in news:f4Fdc.14607$BF2.1248414
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > I have a wireless PCMCIA card and a wired ethernet adapter in a Toshiba
    > laptop that is running Win98.
    >
    > 1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
    > between them)?
    >
    > 2. Is there a way in Win98 to set the SSID of the wireless adapter?
    > I have no manual or specific software for the PCMCIA card it seems.

    You may be able to go to Device Manager and configure the card there. It's
    a long shot on a Win 9'x O/S.

    Duane :)

Wireless PCMCIA Ethernet Card Wireless Networking