wireless and wired Ethernet adapters in the same computer

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a wireless PCMCIA card and a wired ethernet adapter in a Toshiba
laptop that is running Win98.

1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
between them)?

2. Is there a way in Win98 to set the SSID of the wireless adapter?
I have no manual or specific software for the PCMCIA card it seems.

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.

Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in news:f4Fdc.14607$BF2.1248414
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> 1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
> between them)?

You need to use the route command... or disable one of the adapters.

> 2. Is there a way in Win98 to set the SSID of the wireless adapter?
> I have no manual or specific software for the PCMCIA card it seems.

I believe you need to install the software that came with the wireless
card. Only Windows XP (and maybe 2000) has built in wireless software.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote:

>I have a wireless PCMCIA card and a wired ethernet adapter in a Toshiba
>laptop that is running Win98.
>
>1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
>between them)?

I have the same set-up. You can run winipcfg and the select the card
that you don't want to use and then release it. I also made (2) batch
files that will release-wireless renew-wired and release-wired
renew-wireless

Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in news:f4Fdc.14607$BF2.1248414
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> I have a wireless PCMCIA card and a wired ethernet adapter in a Toshiba
> laptop that is running Win98.
>
> 1. How can I specify which adapter to use by default (I want to switch
> between them)?
>
> 2. Is there a way in Win98 to set the SSID of the wireless adapter?
> I have no manual or specific software for the PCMCIA card it seems.

You may be able to go to Device Manager and configure the card there. It's
a long shot on a Win 9'x O/S.

Duane :)