Replacing motherboard and WinXP

My eMachines PC recently stopped booting. I took it to repair shop & the
technician recommended replacing motherboard. After replacing the
motherboard (different OEM), PC boots up but doesn't start WinXP
(Home). It gives warnings about unsafe shutdown & asks to start in safe
mode. Selecting safe mode restarts PC again. He said the hard disk needs
to be formatted with new WinXP installation.
I've eMachines "Restore" CDs that came with PC, but it warns that I'll
loose all the data if I use them.
Is there a way out to have my data & applications on the hard disk
safe? Will "Restore" work with new motherboard? Appreciate your
advice.

--
lifezculPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Probably the easiest thing you can do is get a WinXP CD. Since a Restore
CD will probably wipe your hard drive clean
and install a fresh image of WinXP thereby losing all your files and
data. The next best thing would be to have a friend
that would let you connect your hard drive as slave in his computer. You
could then access all your important files and data
and burn it to a CD.
"lifezcul" <lifezcul.1pprra@> wrote in message

> My eMachines PC recently stopped booting. I took it to repair shop & the
> technician recommended replacing motherboard. After replacing the
> motherboard (different OEM), PC boots up but doesn't start WinXP
> (Home). It gives warnings about unsafe shutdown & asks to start in safe
> mode. Selecting safe mode restarts PC again. He said the hard disk needs
> to be formatted with new WinXP installation.
> I've eMachines "Restore" CDs that came with PC, but it warns that I'll
> loose all the data if I use them.
> Is there a way out to have my data & applications on the hard disk
> safe? Will "Restore" work with new motherboard? Appreciate your
> advice.
>

> --
> lifezculPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

I got CD to install WinXP from a friend (he has DELL PC).
But PC restarts again after trying to boot from his CD. I am not sure
if I need non-OEM specific XP cd (maybe from Micro$oft)?

--

lifezcul wrote:
> I got CD to install WinXP from a friend (he has DELL PC).
> But PC restarts again after trying to boot from his CD. I am not sure
> if I need non-OEM specific XP cd (maybe from Micro$oft)?

The Dell OEM CD may well be designed to work only on a Dell
motherboard. Microsoft provides no support for OEM software; only the
computer manufacturer can do this.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: