Problems Installing Linksys WMP54G Wireless NIC

Hello,

First of all, if this is not the correct group for this message, I
apologize and ask for you to please point me to the proper group.

Anyway, I got a WMP54G Wireless NIC recently, and I'm having some
serious trouble installing it. I want to get it working with the
following system:

Celeron 300MHz
ASUS P2-99 Motherboard
128MB RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Windows 2000 Professional

However, the system refuses to boot-up after I install the card.
Symptoms are:

- When I turn on the computer, I get no video;
- If I press "reset", the video appears and it starts to boot, however
the card is not listed among the PCI devices, and the system hardlocks
before reaching Windows.

Here's some tests I already made:
- Plugged the WMP54G in a different computer - the card was working
properly;
- Removed all cards except the WMP54G and the video card - no
improvement;
- Switched the video card to a TNT2 - no improvement;
- Tried placing the WMP54G in all 4 PCI slots - no improvement;
- Used a BIOS option to prevent the video card from acquiring an IRQ
number - no improvement;
- Tried manually assigning IRQ numbers in the BIOS - no improvement.

I'm out of ideas now. Anyone here has any idea what's going on?

Filipe Badaró
3 answers Last reply
More about problems installing linksys wmp54g wireless

    I had a problem that I traced to an incompatibility between the video
    card and the wireless card.
    I don't have a solution for you.
    I put an NVidia video card in a it all works now.
    Unfortunately, I can't leave that video card in that computer and I may
    have the same problem again when I buy a new card for it.

    You could try upgrading to the last video card drivers.

    A TNT2 was the card I took out and replaced with a GeForce 400.
    Voodoo has gone out of business?
    Do you have a more recent video card you could try?

    Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.

    Bob,

    Sorry for the delay in replying.

    I tried replacing the old Voodoo 3 with a TNT2 and a Radeon 8500. In
    both cases, I got the exact same issues.

    []s Badaro

    Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in message news:<WCFdc.42706$wq4.2325029@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > I had a problem that I traced to an incompatibility between the video
    > card and the wireless card.
    > I don't have a solution for you.
    > I put an NVidia video card in a it all works now.
    > Unfortunately, I can't leave that video card in that computer and I may
    > have the same problem again when I buy a new card for it.
    >
    > You could try upgrading to the last video card drivers.
    >
    > A TNT2 was the card I took out and replaced with a GeForce 400.
    > Voodoo has gone out of business?
    > Do you have a more recent video card you could try?

    I tried installing one of these yesterday (WMP54G):

    PIII700
    Abit BX6 Rev 2.0
    512 Megs Ram
    Diamond Monstersound MX300

    If I put the WMP54G in a PCI slot, the system would not start... it
    would begin to start, but never POST (monitor wouldn't get a signal).
    I tried moving it to every slot available, and removing other cards.
    It didn't boot up until I removed the soundcard.

    I went and picked up a Soundblaster 16 PCI. The system booted ONCE
    after I screwed around with things for awhile... then on restart it
    hung again.

    I decided to take the WMP54G back to the store and use a USB based
    adapter instead. Going to pickup a USB 2.0 PCI card for my system
    today to see how that works out since USB 1.1 only supports 12MB/s

    Just came searching to see if others have had problems with this card
    or whether my computer is just rejecting all new PCI cards. I think
    there's something wrong with this NIC.

    On 13 Apr 2004 11:04:42 -0700, badaro_usenet@unkind.cjb.net (Badaro)
    wrote:

    >Bob,
    >
    >Sorry for the delay in replying.
    >
    >I tried replacing the old Voodoo 3 with a TNT2 and a Radeon 8500. In
    >both cases, I got the exact same issues.
    >
    >[]s Badaro
    >
    >Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in message news:<WCFdc.42706$wq4.2325029@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    >> I had a problem that I traced to an incompatibility between the video
    >> card and the wireless card.
    >> I don't have a solution for you.
    >> I put an NVidia video card in a it all works now.
    >> Unfortunately, I can't leave that video card in that computer and I may
    >> have the same problem again when I buy a new card for it.
    >>
    >> You could try upgrading to the last video card drivers.
    >>
    >> A TNT2 was the card I took out and replaced with a GeForce 400.
    >> Voodoo has gone out of business?
    >> Do you have a more recent video card you could try?

Wireless NIC Wireless Networking