Problems Installing Linksys WMP54G Wireless NIC

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 7:24:45 PM

Hello,

First of all, if this is not the correct group for this message, I
apologize and ask for you to please point me to the proper group.

Anyway, I got a WMP54G Wireless NIC recently, and I'm having some
serious trouble installing it. I want to get it working with the
following system:

Celeron 300MHz
ASUS P2-99 Motherboard
128MB RAM
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
Windows 2000 Professional

However, the system refuses to boot-up after I install the card.
Symptoms are:

- When I turn on the computer, I get no video;
- If I press "reset", the video appears and it starts to boot, however
the card is not listed among the PCI devices, and the system hardlocks
before reaching Windows.

Here's some tests I already made:
- Plugged the WMP54G in a different computer - the card was working
properly;
- Removed all cards except the WMP54G and the video card - no
improvement;
- Switched the video card to a TNT2 - no improvement;
- Tried placing the WMP54G in all 4 PCI slots - no improvement;
- Used a BIOS option to prevent the video card from acquiring an IRQ
number - no improvement;
- Tried manually assigning IRQ numbers in the BIOS - no improvement.

I'm out of ideas now. Anyone here has any idea what's going on?

Filipe Badaró
April 9, 2004 10:41:13 PM

I had a problem that I traced to an incompatibility between the video
card and the wireless card.
I don't have a solution for you.
I put an NVidia video card in a it all works now.
Unfortunately, I can't leave that video card in that computer and I may
have the same problem again when I buy a new card for it.

You could try upgrading to the last video card drivers.

A TNT2 was the card I took out and replaced with a GeForce 400.
Voodoo has gone out of business?
Do you have a more recent video card you could try?

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2004 3:04:42 PM

Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I tried replacing the old Voodoo 3 with a TNT2 and a Radeon 8500. In
both cases, I got the exact same issues.

[]s Badaro

Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in message news:<WCFdc.42706$wq4.2325029@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> I had a problem that I traced to an incompatibility between the video
> card and the wireless card.
> I don't have a solution for you.
> I put an NVidia video card in a it all works now.
> Unfortunately, I can't leave that video card in that computer and I may
> have the same problem again when I buy a new card for it.
>
> You could try upgrading to the last video card drivers.
>
> A TNT2 was the card I took out and replaced with a GeForce 400.
> Voodoo has gone out of business?
> Do you have a more recent video card you could try?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 25, 2004 8:52:20 PM

I tried installing one of these yesterday (WMP54G):

PIII700
Abit BX6 Rev 2.0
512 Megs Ram
Diamond Monstersound MX300

If I put the WMP54G in a PCI slot, the system would not start... it
would begin to start, but never POST (monitor wouldn't get a signal).
I tried moving it to every slot available, and removing other cards.
It didn't boot up until I removed the soundcard.

I went and picked up a Soundblaster 16 PCI. The system booted ONCE
after I screwed around with things for awhile... then on restart it
hung again.

I decided to take the WMP54G back to the store and use a USB based
adapter instead. Going to pickup a USB 2.0 PCI card for my system
today to see how that works out since USB 1.1 only supports 12MB/s

Just came searching to see if others have had problems with this card
or whether my computer is just rejecting all new PCI cards. I think
there's something wrong with this NIC.

!