Tech: Asteroids Board In A Cocktail from Upright

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Greetings, after my successful (very lucky) Battlezone project, I
bought an Asteroids cocktail which is now working fine. I have another
Asteroids board from an upright game. Will this board work in my
cocktail? I have been doing some reading about board problems and I
have seen several mentions of only certain boards/revisions that will
work in a cocktail.

I don't want to spend a lot of time on it if the board is not
compatible.

I am also looking to add an Asteroids Deluxe board to the cocktail so I
can play both A and AD. Are there only certain AD boards that will
work? I realize I have to make some adjustments to the AD board.

Thanks, Les

Les-
Kind of similar, but different. I am running an Asteroids pcb and
Asteroids Deluxe pcb in a AD cocktail. Hobbyroms.com made me a set of
roms for the Asteroids pcb that reversed the left/right buttons and
start/coin inputs so I could play the Asteroids in the AD cabinet. I
am sure he could make a set of roms so you could play AD in your
Asteroids cocktail.
jim

"Les" <trazedone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings, after my successful (very lucky) Battlezone project, I
> bought an Asteroids cocktail which is now working fine. I have another
> Asteroids board from an upright game. Will this board work in my
> cocktail? I have been doing some reading about board problems and I
> have seen several mentions of only certain boards/revisions that will
> work in a cocktail.

There is a possibility that a board that works in an upright will not work
properly in a cocktail. But it's not a problem with the board itself, it's
the ROMs. The -01 version of software won't work properly in a cocktail,
but later versions (-02, etc.) will. You will want to look at the three
large chips next to each other -- they will be either plastic ROMs or
EPROMs, hopefully with readable numbers printed on them. If they say -01 on
the suffix, bad luck.

I applied the Asteroids -> Asteroids Deluxe rom hack to Asteroids
Deluxe -> Asteroids a few years ago. IIRC it's now available on
www.ionpool.net

There's also a hardware version (make your own adapter) if you prefer.
Pick your poison.

The file on ionpool has an addendum that suggests my file offsets are
out by one. As soon as i get my Deluxe board back from the friend that
has had it for the last year and a half i'll confirm that one way or
another when i convert mine again. I beleive it's confusion over what
an offset is though (ie, the number of bytes to move, not the byte
poisition). I will confirm this ASAP.

It's easy enough to check what you're doing though, just check what the
values are before you change them.

I should probably put it back up on my own site too really.

Martin.