*BIGTIME bug in XP's WindowsExplorer*

Hello to all...this you may find interesting...

First off, my computer was working fine until about 6 months ago. I
built the system about 9 months ago. The error that is a constant
fester has to do with WindowsExplorer. When I try to rename a folder,
or try to use the right-click function, everytime the windows explorer
crashes with the same error message--making it impossible to navigate
and simply keep organization with new folders; i.e. not having to know
the different contents of New Folder (16) and New Folder (68). I
suspect it has something to do with a dll getting corrupted somehow.
Also, this computer is never hooked up to the internet except for when
I registered my XP home edition. All updates were transferred via
external harddrive. I did install Service Pack2 for some crazy reason.
hmmm. anyways...the error reads like this...

WindowsExplorer
Error signature
AppName:explorer.exe AppVer:6.0.2800.1106 ModName:ntshrui.dll

ModVer:5.1.2600.1106 Offset:00004037

the technical info it gave to me shows that the file "appcompat.txt" is
included in the error report. It is supposed to be a temporary file.
Also showing is the system information. listed is Windows NT 5.1
Build:2600. Should this read XP?

I dont know where to start because there seems to be nothing like this
on all the sites ive been searching around on for the last few months.
I NEED ANY HELP I CAN GET!!! thanks everyone

--
fjord-have-mrcy
1 answer Last reply

    It is *NOT* a bug. You have issues on your machine...issues with the
    Windows installation. What you are reporting is not reproducible (except on
    your machine) and therefore does not qualify as a *BUG*.
    Suggest you back up important data, wipe and do a clean install of windows.
    Other alternative is to use SFC.

    Bobby

    "fjord-have-mrcy" <fjord-have-mrcy.1pprpo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hello to all...this you may find interesting...
    >
    > First off, my computer was working fine until about 6 months ago. I
    > built the system about 9 months ago. The error that is a constant
    > fester has to do with WindowsExplorer. When I try to rename a folder,
    > or try to use the right-click function, everytime the windows explorer
    > crashes with the same error message--making it impossible to navigate
    > and simply keep organization with new folders; i.e. not having to know
    > the different contents of New Folder (16) and New Folder (68). I
    > suspect it has something to do with a dll getting corrupted somehow.
    > Also, this computer is never hooked up to the internet except for when
    > I registered my XP home edition. All updates were transferred via
    > external harddrive. I did install Service Pack2 for some crazy reason.
    > hmmm. anyways...the error reads like this...
    >
    > WindowsExplorer
    > Error signature
    > AppName:explorer.exe AppVer:6.0.2800.1106 ModName:ntshrui.dll
    >
    > ModVer:5.1.2600.1106 Offset:00004037
    >
    > the technical info it gave to me shows that the file "appcompat.txt" is
    > included in the error report. It is supposed to be a temporary file.
    > Also showing is the system information. listed is Windows NT 5.1
    > Build:2600. Should this read XP?
    >
    > I dont know where to start because there seems to be nothing like this
    > on all the sites ive been searching around on for the last few months.
    > I NEED ANY HELP I CAN GET!!! thanks everyone
    >

    > --
    > fjord-have-mrcy

Windows XP