Third party firmware for Linksys BEFW11S4 V4

Hi there,

I heard something about third party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G, that
also should work on a BEFW11S4 V4.
Has anyone some info on this ?

Gr.,

Ron

"Kess" <@> wrote in news:407726f5$0$24342$58c7af7e@news.kabelfoon.nl:

> Hi there,
>
> I heard something about third party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G,
that
> also should work on a BEFW11S4 V4.
> Has anyone some info on this ?
>
> Gr.,
>
> Ron

From my understanding of firmware, using a firmware that belongs to
different version of a router can damage the router.

Duane :)

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:43:01 +0200, "Kess" <@> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I heard something about third party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G, that
>also should work on a BEFW11S4 V4.
>Has anyone some info on this ?
>
>Gr.,
>
>Ron

That story was on The Screen Savers the other day on Tech TV. It
appears that the only router that it will work on is the WRT54G
because it actually runs embedded linux and someone found an exploit
in the ping command that allows them to gain control and, hence, load
in the new firmware.

You can read about it at www.thescreensavers.com

Good luck.

R.Mariotti(at)FinancialDataCorp.com (Bob Mariotti) wrote in

> That story was on The Screen Savers the other day on Tech TV. It
> appears that the only router that it will work on is the WRT54G
> because it actually runs embedded linux and someone found an exploit
> in the ping command that allows them to gain control and, hence, load
> in the new firmware.

Here's some info on the mini-Linux distro:

http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html
http://freshmeat.net/projects/wrt54g/?branch_id=43645&release_id=154163

Source code of the Linux Firmware:

http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

<R.Mariotti (at) FinancialDataCorp.com (Bob Mariotti)> wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:43:01 +0200, "Kess" <@> wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I heard something about third party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G, that
> >also should work on a BEFW11S4 V4.
> >Has anyone some info on this ?
> >
> >Gr.,
> >
> >Ron
> >

> That story was on The Screen Savers the other day on Tech TV. It
> appears that the only router that it will work on is the WRT54G
> because it actually runs embedded linux and someone found an exploit
> in the ping command that allows them to gain control and, hence, load
> in the new firmware.
>
> You can read about it at www.thescreensavers.com
>
> Good luck.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/darktips/story/0,24330,3659113,00.html
By Kevin Rose
Embedded Linux distributions make it possible to run Linux on pretty
much anything nowadays. Watches, PDAs, and even certain coffee machines are
running stripped-down versions of the penguin. It comes as no surprise that
Linksys has decided to run Linux on its routers and switches.

A great decision, but Linksys products are designed for the consumer
and small business. The products don't come with any way to tap into the
underlying Linux shell.

In this hack I'll show you how to overwrite your Linksys router
firmware with a new instruction set that allows you to take full control of
your mini Linux powerhouse

Linksys WRT54G Wireless router
You need this particular model because it has a flaw in the ping command
that allows you to execute and overwrite information. At the time of this
writing, this is the only hackable Linksys router.

You need to pick your firmware distribution. There are lots of hacked
firmware available. Read up on the features and choose the one that meets
your needs best from the list below.
a.. Sveasoft (my fave)
b.. Mini WRT54G
c.. More hacked firmware