Conexent Audio Driver issue

Hello fellow Windows users. I have a laptop, which I have loaded Win XP Pro
SP2 from scratch before. But recently, i had a hard drive go bad on me. It
went into service and came out with all that extra junk. I wiped it,
downloaded fresh drivers and reinstalled Win XP Pro SP2. This time, the
machine thinks it has ALi drivers for the sound device. This has never
happened before. I tried uninstalling the ALi drivers then running the
Conexent driver setup, but windows thinks the ALi drivers are the best
choice. Is there a way to remove the ALi Drivers from the database? I have
even tried installing the original release of Win XP Pro...that didn't fix
it. there were ALi drivers there as well.

go to start/run, and type : devmgmt.msc

Doubleclick the sound device, and see the Driver tab for the button to "Update Driver"

Don't let windows find the driver. Select the manual method.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"KCobra98" <KCobra98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AECCD4D-E8CB-42D8-9451-3850980431DB@microsoft.com...
> Hello fellow Windows users. I have a laptop, which I have loaded Win XP Pro
> SP2 from scratch before. But recently, i had a hard drive go bad on me. It
> went into service and came out with all that extra junk. I wiped it,
> downloaded fresh drivers and reinstalled Win XP Pro SP2. This time, the
> machine thinks it has ALi drivers for the sound device. This has never
> happened before. I tried uninstalling the ALi drivers then running the
> Conexent driver setup, but windows thinks the ALi drivers are the best
> choice. Is there a way to remove the ALi Drivers from the database? I have
> even tried installing the original release of Win XP Pro...that didn't fix
> it. there were ALi drivers there as well.

Thanks for your assistance. That method wont work. The drivers for the
device are imbeded into programs that install them. So, once I uninstall the
bad drivers and run the correct driver install, it prompts the computer to
use Plug and Play to install devices. And because windows feel this device
is an ALi device, that is the driver windows installs.