Strange wireless service - 2WIREnnn

I have been getting a couple of wireless ID's of the form 2WIREnnn, where
nnn are numerals, appearing. They appear and then go away. They are
encrypted.

Anyone have any idea what might be generating them. Could it be a pay
service? or perhaps something the police use?

I get a message they connect to my system for a short period of time. Are
they probing me somehow?

..
2 answers Last reply
More about strange wireless service 2wirennn

    no, it's the default name for the hardware sold by BT (in the UK) for their
    wireless options. see http://www.2wire.com/home/buy.html

    They all have WEP switched ON out of the box, the passkey being on a sticker
    under the unit with the serial number etc.

    "road rascal" <road_rascal_no_spam@rascal.com> wrote in message
    > I have been getting a couple of wireless ID's of the form 2WIREnnn, where
    > nnn are numerals, appearing. They appear and then go away. They are
    > encrypted.
    >
    > Anyone have any idea what might be generating them. Could it be a pay
    > service? or perhaps something the police use?
    >
    > I get a message they connect to my system for a short period of time. Are
    > they probing me somehow?
    >
    > .

    Cool I guess someone has one of those in my town, how is XXX in 2wireXXX
    names chosen?

    So...what does that mean stuart? ----^

    "Stuart" <Intentionally.blank@us.com> wrote in message
    > no, it's the default name for the hardware sold by BT (in the UK) for
    their
    > wireless options. see http://www.2wire.com/home/buy.html
    >
    > They all have WEP switched ON out of the box, the passkey being on a
    sticker
    > under the unit with the serial number etc.
    >
    > "road rascal" <road_rascal_no_spam@rascal.com> wrote in message
    > > I have been getting a couple of wireless ID's of the form 2WIREnnn,
    where
    > > nnn are numerals, appearing. They appear and then go away. They are
    > > encrypted.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any idea what might be generating them. Could it be a pay
    > > service? or perhaps something the police use?
    > >
    > > I get a message they connect to my system for a short period of time.
    Are
    > > they probing me somehow?
    > >
    > > .

Wireless Connection Internet Wireless Networking