Strange wireless service - 2WIREnnn

I have been getting a couple of wireless ID's of the form 2WIREnnn, where
nnn are numerals, appearing. They appear and then go away. They are
encrypted.

Anyone have any idea what might be generating them. Could it be a pay
service? or perhaps something the police use?

I get a message they connect to my system for a short period of time. Are
they probing me somehow?

..

stuart

no, it's the default name for the hardware sold by BT (in the UK) for their
wireless options. see http://www.2wire.com/home/buy.html

They all have WEP switched ON out of the box, the passkey being on a sticker
under the unit with the serial number etc.

"road rascal" <road_rascal_no_spam@rascal.com> wrote in message
> I have been getting a couple of wireless ID's of the form 2WIREnnn, where
> nnn are numerals, appearing. They appear and then go away. They are
> encrypted.
>
> Anyone have any idea what might be generating them. Could it be a pay
> service? or perhaps something the police use?
>
> I get a message they connect to my system for a short period of time. Are
> they probing me somehow?
>
> .

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Cool I guess someone has one of those in my town, how is XXX in 2wireXXX
names chosen?

So...what does that mean stuart? ----^