Microsoft Unveils Office 2010, Free Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
WOAH. Microsoft doing something for free? you cant even get tech support over the phone without a credit card handy from them.....

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Damn it! The Office 2008 torrent JUST finished![/citation]
What office 2008?

So, does this mean we can use Microshit Office in gnu linux without WINE, just like Docs? I'd only use office because of the eye candy. When people tell me it's not compatible with Word, I say "screw off, MS supporters!" I don't understand, why do people like to use proprietary formats instead of the standards?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Microsoft have been providing me with free OS since windows 95. Id buy them at OEM prices if they were available since I build my own computers... When MS try to rip you off, rip them off even more. Anyway they dont really care since it gives them a good market penetration among the hardcore power users.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Online Office, perfect for when that one person still stuck in the 90's sends you a ill-formatted document that just won't open properly in OpenOffice.org or Google Docs.

This may provide some really strong contention to Google Docs, as long as it doesn't require IE 8 + Silverlight, cause then no one is going to use it.

cozalp

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]WOAH. Microsoft doing something for free? [/citation]

Nobody would pay for it while Google is offering the same service for free. This is why competitions are good for the user.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Herbert_HA[/nom]God, a video editing Powerpoint. Could this software be more bloated and unefficient???[/citation]

Well, I like Docs, but it lacks many features that MS will be able to have. I'm liking the free web version, it will be handy.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
im still using ms word xp on my laptop. i have 2007 on my desktop and MS word is just completely bloated and makes writing a simple document more tedious when im trying to add a header, margins, font color. they even removed the undo/redo buttons. i dont like to ctrl z/y.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Nice online options.
I actually like using Office. It's integration between the different offerings is nice. I just don't like paying for it. Luckily work foots the bill.

dafin0

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]im still using ms word xp on my laptop. i have 2007 on my desktop and MS word is just completely bloated and makes writing a simple document more tedious when im trying to add a header, margins, font color. they even removed the undo/redo buttons. i dont like to ctrl z/y.[/citation]
dude they didn't remove the undo buttons they are always at the top left

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]microsoft office for linux and I would have a little respect.[/citation]
What part of "it runs in a browser"Office Web will bring ... to customers' web browsers" wasn't clear.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]microsoft office for linux and I would have a little respect.[/citation]
So true... +1 my friend

[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]What part of "it runs in a browser"Office Web will bring ... to customers' web browsers" wasn't clear.[/citation]
There's also an installable version. Let's see you access Office in a browser when you're running on dial up in some wacky country during your business trip... actually, nvm, let's make that no internet access at all. Hmm, wonder how you're gonna use office then, eh?
And right, MS is gonna keep their servers busy sending out copies of Office all day...

Ok there's the cache, but I dump my cache very frequently :p

smileypaul

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
"Let's see you access Office in a browser when you're running on dial up in some wacky country during your business trip... actually, nvm, let's make that no internet access at all. Hmm, wonder how you're gonna use office then, eh?"

I guess that would be the same for google docs yes? Theres always some technical requirement! Sorry they couldn't supply you with your own satellite setup so you could access a private satellite JUST so you could use the online version... Im sure if they did, you'd complain that the satellite would have issues with Line of Sight in some areas.

Get real.

Why would Microsoft program something for linux? Less than 1% of the user market? Be happy they release a version for Macintosh.

OpenOffice has always been free, and keeps up with Microsofts proprietary formats. Use that.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]computabug[/nom]What office 2008?[/citation]Office 2008 is Mac OSX only... I hope it wasn't a Windows person who wasted time getting an Office 2008 torrent... you'll be upset when you aren't able to install and run a .dmg file under XP/Vista/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.