Renew Icons In 'ALL PROGRAMS" List

May 28, 2005 2:21:23 PM

Hello,

I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all programs'
button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the list appears.
On that list, the only programs that still have the proper icons are of
course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have decayed back to
the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there who would know how to
get these icons renewed to the icon provided by the software provider?

Thanks for your help.

Danno
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:21:24 PM

Drag the exe file onto the start menu where you want it.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Danno" <danreardon@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:D CXle.1501906$6l.1422716@pd7tw2no...
> Hello,
>
> I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all programs'
> button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the list appears.
> On that list, the only programs that still have the proper icons are of
> course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have decayed back to
> the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there who would know how to
> get these icons renewed to the icon provided by the software provider?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Danno

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 3:27:26 PM

Delete IconCache.db

IconCache.db. Is a hidden file located in...

%homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data

After deleting IconCache.db, it will be automatically recreated.

HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

To display Hidden files and folders...

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
Check:
? Display the contents of system folders
? Show hidden files and folders
UNCheck:
? Hide protected operating system files
Apply | OK

[[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
typical items.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D CXle.1501906$6l.1422716@pd7tw2no,
Danno <danreardon@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
> Hello,
>
> I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all
> programs' button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the
> list appears. On that list, the only programs that still have the proper
> icons are of course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have
> decayed back to the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there
> who would know how to get these icons renewed to the icon provided by the
> software provider?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Danno
Related resources
May 29, 2005 4:23:53 AM

Thanks Wes, but it did not seem to make any difference. I deleted the
IconCache.db folder, but the icons in the start menu were still degraded,
even after reboot. That was a big file too, 2.5 megs. So since deleting it
didn't make the improvement I expected, I restored the IconCache.db folder
back to where I found it (Local Settings\Application Data). Please note that
I did not see '%homepath%' anywhere in the path to this file. Is there
something I'm misunderstanding? It sure would be nice to see these icons
again, since they make it so much easier to spot the file I'm looking for.
I guess that's the whole idea of icons.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Danno

> Delete IconCache.db
>
> IconCache.db. Is a hidden file located in...
>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data
>
> After deleting IconCache.db, it will be automatically recreated.
>
> HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347
>
> To display Hidden files and folders...
>
> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
> Check:
> ? Display the contents of system folders
> ? Show hidden files and folders
> UNCheck:
> ? Hide protected operating system files
> Apply | OK
>
> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
> typical items.]]
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D CXle.1501906$6l.1422716@pd7tw2no,
> Danno <danreardon@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all
> > programs' button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the
> > list appears. On that list, the only programs that still have the proper
> > icons are of course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have
> > decayed back to the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there
> > who would know how to get these icons renewed to the icon provided by
the
> > software provider?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Danno

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:20:13 PM

Danno,

%homepath% is the path to a user's home directory.

Paste:

%homepath%

into the Start | Run box, click OK and see what opens.

If your drive is C:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
will open.

Pasting
%homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data
into Start | Run will open
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
if your drive is C:

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes