Renew Icons In 'ALL PROGRAMS" List

Hello,

I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all programs'
button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the list appears.
On that list, the only programs that still have the proper icons are of
course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have decayed back to
the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there who would know how to
get these icons renewed to the icon provided by the software provider?

Thanks for your help.

Danno
4 answers Last reply
More about renew icons programs list

    Drag the exe file onto the start menu where you want it.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Danno" <danreardon@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:DCXle.1501906$6l.1422716@pd7tw2no...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all programs'
    > button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the list appears.
    > On that list, the only programs that still have the proper icons are of
    > course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have decayed back to
    > the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there who would know how to
    > get these icons renewed to the icon provided by the software provider?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Danno

    Delete IconCache.db

    IconCache.db. Is a hidden file located in...

    %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data

    After deleting IconCache.db, it will be automatically recreated.

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    To display Hidden files and folders...

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    Check:
    ? Display the contents of system folders
    ? Show hidden files and folders
    UNCheck:
    ? Hide protected operating system files
    Apply | OK

    [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    typical items.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DCXle.1501906$6l.1422716@pd7tw2no,
    Danno <danreardon@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all
    > programs' button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the
    > list appears. On that list, the only programs that still have the proper
    > icons are of course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have
    > decayed back to the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there
    > who would know how to get these icons renewed to the icon provided by the
    > software provider?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Danno

    Thanks Wes, but it did not seem to make any difference. I deleted the
    IconCache.db folder, but the icons in the start menu were still degraded,
    even after reboot. That was a big file too, 2.5 megs. So since deleting it
    didn't make the improvement I expected, I restored the IconCache.db folder
    back to where I found it (Local Settings\Application Data). Please note that
    I did not see '%homepath%' anywhere in the path to this file. Is there
    something I'm misunderstanding? It sure would be nice to see these icons
    again, since they make it so much easier to spot the file I'm looking for.
    I guess that's the whole idea of icons.

    Thanks for your suggestion.

    Danno

    > Delete IconCache.db
    >
    > IconCache.db. Is a hidden file located in...
    >
    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data
    >
    > After deleting IconCache.db, it will be automatically recreated.
    >
    > HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347
    >
    > To display Hidden files and folders...
    >
    > Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    > Check:
    > ? Display the contents of system folders
    > ? Show hidden files and folders
    > UNCheck:
    > ? Hide protected operating system files
    > Apply | OK
    >
    > [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    > typical items.]]
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DCXle.1501906$6l.1422716@pd7tw2no,
    > Danno <danreardon@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have Windows XP Pro. When I click the 'start' button, the 'all
    > > programs' button appears. When I click the 'all programs' button, the
    > > list appears. On that list, the only programs that still have the proper
    > > icons are of course any that are produced by Microsoft. All others have
    > > decayed back to the same silly folder icon. Is there anyone out there
    > > who would know how to get these icons renewed to the icon provided by
    the
    > > software provider?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Danno

    Danno,

    %homepath% is the path to a user's home directory.

    Paste:

    %homepath%

    into the Start | Run box, click OK and see what opens.

    If your drive is C:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
    will open.

    Pasting
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data
    into Start | Run will open
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
    if your drive is C:

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes