wireless cost

im thinking about a wireless co-op in a small town (1500)
can some one give me a ballpark cost on starting a wireless ip for about 100
clients
i know the cost on the T1 so everthing after that including the access point
range about 5 miles
i know the customers cost
thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about wireless cost

    You need to be talking to someone like CISCO!

    Bill Crocker

    "hunty" <lblacknospam@prairie.lakes.com> wrote in message
    > im thinking about a wireless co-op in a small town (1500)
    > can some one give me a ballpark cost on starting a wireless ip for about
    100
    > clients
    > i know the cost on the T1 so everthing after that including the access
    point
    > range about 5 miles
    > i know the customers cost
    > thanks

    "hunty" <lblacknospam@prairie.lakes.com> wrote in

    > im thinking about a wireless co-op in a small town (1500)
    > can some one give me a ballpark cost on starting a wireless ip for
    > about 100 clients
    > i know the cost on the T1 so everthing after that including the access
    > point range about 5 miles
    > i know the customers cost

    For 100 clients, you'll need multiple APs. Each AP can support a maximum of
    about 20 users for web surfing, or about 10 if there is heavy file traffic.
    Your biggest cost will be running wires to each AP.

    You'll also need some sort of Radius authentication server.

    A T1 is probably not enough bandwidth to provide decent speeds.

    So it's hard judging the costs... especially when it involves running wires
    in an outdoor environment (which could be VERY pricy).

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    In article <Xns94C6E1C5B7ADDnntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>,
    Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
    :"hunty" <lblacknospam@prairie.lakes.com> wrote in
    :news:107ei62majice85@corp.supernews.com:

    :> im thinking about a wireless co-op in a small town (1500)
    :> can some one give me a ballpark cost on starting a wireless ip for
    :> about 100 clients
    :> i know the cost on the T1 so everthing after that including the access
    :> point range about 5 miles

    :For 100 clients, you'll need multiple APs. [...]
    :Your biggest cost will be running wires to each AP.

    "Motorola Canopy" or equivilent is good to about 5 miles.
    --
    Most Windows users will run any old attachment you send them, so if
    you want to implicate someone you can just send them a Trojan

    Here a idea , rural wisp. > http://www.fcc.gov/osp/rural-wisp/

    hunty wrote:

    > im thinking about a wireless co-op in a small town (1500)
    > can some one give me a ballpark cost on starting a wireless ip for about 100
    > clients
    > i know the cost on the T1 so everthing after that including the access point
    > range about 5 miles
    > i know the customers cost
    > thanks

    A couple of decent AP's on sectorized antennas will do most of what you
    outline. Three or four would be better. You already *know* the
    customer's cost so that means you know what you want to use for CPE,
    which directly determines what you use for APs. adjust accordingly. A
    single T1 *might* be sufficient if you throttle users and squash
    file-sharing. Four APs with sector antennas and including nothing else
    (tower(s), backhauls, shacks, electrical feed, etc) could run about
    $2,000 if you're sticking to 2.4GHz.

    a T1 is extremly slow however, :(

    "Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
    > hunty wrote:
    >
    > > im thinking about a wireless co-op in a small town (1500)
    > > can some one give me a ballpark cost on starting a wireless ip for about
    100
    > > clients
    > > i know the cost on the T1 so everthing after that including the access
    point
    > > range about 5 miles
    > > i know the customers cost
    > > thanks
    >

    > A couple of decent AP's on sectorized antennas will do most of what you
    > outline. Three or four would be better. You already *know* the
    > customer's cost so that means you know what you want to use for CPE,
    > which directly determines what you use for APs. adjust accordingly. A
    > single T1 *might* be sufficient if you throttle users and squash
    > file-sharing. Four APs with sector antennas and including nothing else
    > (tower(s), backhauls, shacks, electrical feed, etc) could run about
    > $2,000 if you're sticking to 2.4GHz.

Wireless IP Internet Wireless Networking