whats the going rate for a fully working atari quantum?

I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
$4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
fetching that much. The original allophone boards
which are so prone to failure were replaced years
ago with wells gardner and have been working
fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
condition. Thanks!
56 answers Last reply
More about whats rate fully working atari quantum
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Someone was trying to sell a nice working one about 2 months ago for
    $2500 and never sold it.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Did you save the Amplifone boards, tube and yoke? They are better
    quality (and worth more) than the WG6100.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Probably worth more with the Amplifone boards intact.

    Where are you located?

    --
    -Steve P.

    All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    > net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    > $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    > fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    > which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    > ago with wells gardner and have been working
    > fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    > at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    > condition. Thanks!

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
    and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
    them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
    someone from this group came out to my place and got
    it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
    Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
    It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
    a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
    original boards, they had been through hell and back.

    I'm in northeast MA.

    "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Probably worth more with the Amplifone boards intact.
    >
    > Where are you located?
    >
    > --
    > -Steve P.
    >
    > All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus
    >
    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    >> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    >> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    >> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    >> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    >> ago with wells gardner and have been working
    >> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    >> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    >> condition. Thanks!

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Hey Rob,

    Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
    board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
    got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
    I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?

    Dave

    > After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
    > and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
    > them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
    > someone from this group came out to my place and got
    > it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
    > Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
    > It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
    > a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
    > original boards, they had been through hell and back.
    >
    > I'm in northeast MA.

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    arcadeguy wrote:
    > he never sold it
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/browse_frm/thread/b38f4f4edbb88e8c/cf857a3b65fdf1eb?q=Quantum&rnum=8&hl=en#cf857a3b65fdf1eb

    Hi,

    I would say its worth less and less.

    Mark Capps
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
    that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.

    /b

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    > net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    > $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    > fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    > which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    > ago with wells gardner and have been working
    > fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    > at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    > condition. Thanks!

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I am the one selling the Quantum for $2,500. Mine does have the
    Amplifone and has been working perfectly since the day I got it. The
    other posters are right though. They do go for much higher than I am
    asking, however, you have to find the right person at the right time.
    I still haven't found that person.....and the Quantum still remains for
    sale as I have another kid on the way and must clear out my
    collection!!!

    Jon
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I agree with Steve here - sure, you *might* find someone willing to
    spend the money - but you might be waiting for quite awhile for that to
    happen. If you can afford to sit on it until someone decides to take
    you up on the asking price, go for it. Guys list games on Ebay all day
    long at unrealistic (to the collectors) prices in hopes of finding that
    *one* person that is willing to pay whatever the price is for so and so
    game. Most of those games if you notice are continuously relisted
    because the seller can't seem to find that *one* person that they need.
    This was just discussed the other day in RGVAC - search apollo.com (or
    whatever his Ebay name is).

    There are currently a number of nice "collectable" games available that
    just have not sold for their asking prices - the market isn't there
    anymore - guys who wanted the special cabinets or were willing to spend
    high $$$ for a particular title already got their games and there
    aren't many new players stepping up to the plate (no more DOT COM money
    floating around maybe). Several years ago guys would have been
    fighting one another to buy them for the advertised prices, but those
    days are far and few. Example: Flippers.com has a fairly nice mini
    Robotron that's been for sale for at least a year at $1995. Then
    there's that proto mini Robotron that has the $5-6000 asking price on
    it - far as I know, it's STILL unsold. Sure, if I hit the lotto I
    might snag it, but that's a long shot at best.

    I would say the collector market today would see a $1500-1800 sale
    price - maybe a tad lower for this particular specimen since the
    Amplifone is AWOL.

    Face it, MAME and the fall of the dot com boom are having their impact
    on game collecting. The one example of a "rare" game selling recently
    and going for high $$ was the Ebay Aztarac. I don't recall anything
    else "rare" selling for high $$$... anyone?

    Steve P.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    > so that makes the going rate LESS then $2500... I can't see how you can
    argue otherwise...

    That may make Jon's particular Quantum worth 2500 (or less) in his
    area, but it is not indicative of the market for Quantums in general.

    Location, location, location. If it were in a different area or a
    different coast, the price may easily be higher. I can personally tell
    you of at least 2 Quantums that didn't sell because the buyer was not
    able to see the machine personally. In addition, a lot of Q's don't
    sell because people don't want to risk shipping it. Have the buyer and
    seller in the roughly the same location and prices can be much higher
    than 2500.

    L.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace RobR <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    : After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
    : and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
    : them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
    : someone from this group came out to my place and got
    : it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
    : Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
    : It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
    : a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
    : original boards, they had been through hell and back.
    :
    : I'm in northeast MA.

    NECO? That's your problem.

    I've never had any problems with my amplifones.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

    Jeffrey Ohler wrote:
    > I bought a Q*Bert from Jon last year and got to check out his Quantum. A
    > very nice person to do arcade business with by the way. His Quantum game is
    > a nice one. I remember also seeing James Marous' collection of vector
    > games, he had a mint Quantum along with a bunch of other classics...and I do
    > believe Rob Winner in Cleveland had one... just a bit of name dropping from
    > the Ghosts of Arcade Collecting's Past.

    Rob Winner had like 5 Quantums (IIRC) that he traded to Bob Wood in FL
    for a bunch of Ms. Pacs back in like '97. I remember seeing the pics
    of his dining room filled with Quantums.

    Steve P.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    ebay, no reserve. that will give you the current market value.
    Not nearly as much $ as some would think.
    IMO, $3000 was top dollar for that game.
    I would say under $2000 somewhere now.

    Troy,

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    > net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    > $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    > fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    > which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    > ago with wells gardner and have been working
    > fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    > at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    > condition. Thanks!

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    " Did I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?"

    Jimmy Hoffa?

    "David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hey Rob,
    >
    > Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
    > board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
    > got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
    > I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
    >> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
    >> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
    >> someone from this group came out to my place and got
    >> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
    >> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
    >> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
    >> a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
    >> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
    >>
    >> I'm in northeast MA.

  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
    possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
    certainly be willing to pay that much...

    problem is finding them...

    hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
    machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but that
    IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...

    steve

    "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
    > that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
    >
    > /b
    >

    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    >> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    >> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    >> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    >> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    >> ago with wells gardner and have been working
    >> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    >> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    >> condition. Thanks!

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
    you're just guessing and making assumptions.

    /b

    "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
    > possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
    > certainly be willing to pay that much...
    >
    > problem is finding them...
    >
    > hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
    > machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
    > that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
    >
    > steve
    >
    > "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
    >> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
    >>
    >> /b
    >>

    >> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    >>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    >>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    >>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    >>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    >>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
    >>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    >>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    >>> condition. Thanks!

  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    funny thing is I prefer that game in mame. I like playing it using the
    mouse for control (as opposed to a trackball).

    I am sure to people that played it back in the day this is horrible way to
    play.... oh well

    --
    Mickster

    Visit my website and see my arcade!!

    http://mickster.freeservers.com

    "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
    > possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
    > certainly be willing to pay that much...
    >
    > problem is finding them...
    >
    > hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
    > machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
    > that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
    >
    > steve
    >
    > "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
    >> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
    >>
    >> /b
    >>

    >> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    >>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    >>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    >>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    >>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    >>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
    >>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    >>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    >>> condition. Thanks!

  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Wise words. If you ever get stuck with it, you won't mind that badly.
    I'm the same way with any collectable.

    -isaac
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Well, another thing I can tell you is this: I know of two Quantums in
    the Ca area that have sold for 3k plus in the last year. Granted, past
    performance isn't indicative of future prices, but it wasn't in the
    newsgroup and it wasn't eBay. The collectors market still much more
    than those two sources.

    L.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I wouldn't think you would need to own one to know that rare game values are
    dropping fast.

    At the rate things are going, all vids will be back to 1990 prices soon
    (probably within 3 years).

    I know a collector that is trying to sell a duramold (converted) and can't
    find anyone that even wants it. I am sure that wasn't the case 3 years
    ago.

    --

    > So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
    > you're just guessing and making assumptions.
    >
    > /b
    >
    > "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes,
    >> it's possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time,
    >> would certainly be willing to pay that much...
    >>
    >> problem is finding them...
    >>
    >> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
    >> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
    >> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
    >>
    >> steve
    >>
    >> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
    >>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
    >>>
    >>> /b
    >>>

    >>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    "David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hey Rob,
    >
    > Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
    > board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
    > got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
    > I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
    >> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
    >> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
    >> someone from this group came out to my place and got
    >> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
    >> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
    >> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
    >> a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
    >> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
    >>
    >> I'm in northeast MA.

    Hi Dave!!! No, you never did tell me what you
    found in Tron (and it better not be a winning
    lottery ticket :)). Glad to hear you scored a
    Quantum too.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Here's an option (and I'm being over the top on this):

    Please don't flame or kill me for this, but if you really want to get
    your 2500 out of this game, part it out. Q is a game where the sum of
    the parts is equal the whole.

    Control Panel 250
    Working Board 650
    Cab 700
    Marquee 100
    Monitor 600
    Harness, PS, AR 100

    The prices for those parts is NOT unreasonable I guarantee you that.

    Boom! close to 2500

    End of Discussion :)

    L.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    You know what, I think I may have an idea what you found
    in the Tron.... I used to hide stuff in my games when I lived
    at home with the parents :).

    "David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hey Rob,
    >
    > Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
    > board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
    > got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
    > I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
    >> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
    >> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
    >> someone from this group came out to my place and got
    >> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
    >> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
    >> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
    >> a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
    >> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
    >>
    >> I'm in northeast MA.

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    no, I have many cabinets but not a quantum, my kids and my neighbors kids
    are to young to risk them destorying one... but if you read the forums
    enough, or are intelligent enough to do a googlegroups search, you can see
    the trend in the marketplace... it doesn't take brain surgery to figure out
    the value of an item..

    let's face it... Jon's is STILL for sale at $2500 with NO takers...

    so that makes the going rate LESS then $2500... I can't see how you can
    argue otherwise...

    If it was more then I'm sure some enterprising individual (Art, Mark, etc.)
    would have snapped it up to resell it...

    "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
    > you're just guessing and making assumptions.
    >
    > /b
    >
    > "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes,
    >> it's possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time,
    >> would certainly be willing to pay that much...
    >>
    >> problem is finding them...
    >>
    >> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
    >> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
    >> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
    >>
    >> steve
    >>
    >> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
    >>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
    >>>
    >>> /b
    >>>

    >>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    > I also currently own 4 of the rarest games out there and have plenty of
    > strong standing offers to buy them should I ever want to sell (don't take
    > that as bragging, just backing up my position that these games do still
    > sell).

    You may find those offers will evaporate once the games are available.
    People are quick to say they will buy, but that doesn't mean they have the
    cash to back it up.
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace RobR <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    : Hi Dave!!! No, you never did tell me what you
    : found in Tron (and it better not be a winning
    : lottery ticket :)). Glad to hear you scored a
    : Quantum too.

    I sold Dave my quantum cabinet about 5 years ago...

    Found quantum guts about 4 years ago...

    ....and to this date haven't found another quantum cabinet to build up.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I don't think that anyone really thinks that rgvac and ebay are the only
    avenues.

    Personally, I think that the $3k days are over (and I am not in the market
    for one, FWIW).

    --

    "LouiSurfer" <louisurfer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well, another thing I can tell you is this: I know of two Quantums in
    > the Ca area that have sold for 3k plus in the last year. Granted, past
    > performance isn't indicative of future prices, but it wasn't in the
    > newsgroup and it wasn't eBay. The collectors market still much more
    > than those two sources.
    >
    > L.

  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Yes... and no...

    certainly location makes a difference, and certainly machine quality makes a
    difference to. I'm not trying to dispute that.

    However, if someone HAD to have a Quantum, then Jon's would have been gone
    long ago. Let's face it, the odds of finding someone in you're area selling
    one is slim. It's a sufficiently rare machine that a determined buyer would
    go out of his way for.

    That said, I firmly believe that there is a distinct *lack* of determined
    buyers in todays market.

    >Have the buyer and seller in the roughly the same location and prices can
    >be much higher than 2500.

    This is true of anything, and the reason why items such as this have a
    *range*. However, I can't see how that range has been doing anyting but
    decreasing within the last few years.

    There were times when a broken one went for over $3K... one went on e-bay
    not to long ago for under $2K.

    If you're willing to wait for a *long* time for the perfect buyer you can
    sell *anything* at an exorbitant price. But those prices just aren't there
    any more.

    **** I'm saying this and I have NO interest in purchasing the quantum... If
    it was $100 I might get it just so I could use the monitor to convert to
    something else... I'm just not fond of the game and I don't purchase games I
    don't like, no matter the collectability.

    >> so that makes the going rate LESS then $2500... I can't see how you can
    > argue otherwise...
    >
    > That may make Jon's particular Quantum worth 2500 (or less) in his
    > area, but it is not indicative of the market for Quantums in general.
    >
    > Location, location, location. If it were in a different area or a
    > different coast, the price may easily be higher. I can personally tell
    > you of at least 2 Quantums that didn't sell because the buyer was not
    > able to see the machine personally. In addition, a lot of Q's don't
    > sell because people don't want to risk shipping it. Have the buyer and
    > seller in the roughly the same location and prices can be much higher
    > than 2500.
    >
    > L.

  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Rob,

    Aside from all the discussions on this topic... the question you *really*
    need to ask is how quickly you want to take to sell it. If you can afford
    to hold on to it for a while and wait for the perfect deal then you can ask
    $3K or more (depending on the shape of the machine). If you want to move it
    quickly then it may be signifigantly less... (hate to say it, but your best
    bet would be e-bay... most here that want one have them so you'd be selling
    to the "collectors of opprotunity" which would probably not go as high as
    e-bay).

    steve

    ps: on the other hand, if you want to enhance your collection you could try
    trading it... people might trade you more as it's not cash...

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    > net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    > $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    > fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    > which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    > ago with wells gardner and have been working
    > fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    > at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    > condition. Thanks!

  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    "Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
    > funny thing is I prefer that game in mame. I like playing it using the
    > mouse for control (as opposed to a trackball).
    >
    > I am sure to people that played it back in the day this is horrible way to
    > play.... oh well
    >
    > --
    > Mickster
    >
    > Visit my website and see my arcade!!
    >
    > http://mickster.freeservers.com
    >
    > "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes,
    >> it's possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time,
    >> would certainly be willing to pay that much...
    >>
    >> problem is finding them...
    >>
    >> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
    >> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
    >> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
    >>
    >> steve
    >>
    >> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
    >>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
    >>>
    >>> /b
    >>>

    >>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace stevenprendergast@gmail.com wrote:
    :
    :
    : Jeffrey Ohler wrote:
    :> I bought a Q*Bert from Jon last year and got to check out his Quantum. A
    :> very nice person to do arcade business with by the way. His Quantum game is
    :> a nice one. I remember also seeing James Marous' collection of vector
    :> games, he had a mint Quantum along with a bunch of other classics...and I do
    :> believe Rob Winner in Cleveland had one... just a bit of name dropping from
    :> the Ghosts of Arcade Collecting's Past.
    :>
    :
    : Rob Winner had like 5 Quantums (IIRC) that he traded to Bob Wood in FL
    : for a bunch of Ms. Pacs back in like '97. I remember seeing the pics
    : of his dining room filled with Quantums.

    5 Quantum CABINETS.

    Damn urban legends =-P

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    > Rob Winner had like 5 Quantums (IIRC) that he traded to Bob Wood in FL
    > for a bunch of Ms. Pacs back in like '97. I remember seeing the pics
    > of his dining room filled with Quantums.

    I think I probably fixed some of those. I know at one point I had four Quantum
    boards at the same time...

    Alex
    ----
    ayeckley@elektronforge.com
    www.elektronforge.com
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    > I also
    > currently own 4 of the rarest games out there and have plenty of strong
    > standing offers to buy them should I ever want to sell (don't take that as
    > bragging, just backing up my position that these games do still sell).

    And which games would these be?
    Super rare games will always sell. But IMO, they need to have fun game play
    also.

    > Game prices are fine, it's the marketplace that's moved. Primarily due to
    > mistrust and too many scams both on the groups and on ebay.

    Where is this market? some collector?
    I would like to sell my nice Tempest for top dollar.

    Troy,
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Mark-

    Then you are more informed about them that I was. I talked with Rob
    about the Quantums at one of the Columbus auctions back in 1998 or so
    and he never mentioned that they were missing anything.

    (Rob, if you're reading this, it was the auction that I got that mini
    Centipede from you for a case of beer and like $50.) :)

    Steve P.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Centipede Mini for a case of beer and $50?

    Reminds me of trading a 6 pack of tacos from Taco Bell for a twin
    engine Ugly Stick R/C plane (less motors). That was a hoot to fly by
    the way once I got a radio and pair of OS .25's on it.

    Mike Doyle
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Mike-

    It was n/w IIRC and not in "collector quality". It did clean up ok and
    I got a working board off of Art for a decent price.

    -Steve P.
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    You guts are broadening me. Tell us what was in the Tron cab.

    kma

    "LouiSurfer" <louisurfer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well, another thing I can tell you is this: I know of two Quantums in
    > the Ca area that have sold for 3k plus in the last year. Granted, past
    > performance isn't indicative of future prices, but it wasn't in the
    > newsgroup and it wasn't eBay. The collectors market still much more
    > than those two sources.
    >
    > L.

  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I haven't read everything in this thread, but most of it. And I think
    another really big point being missed is that there are less and less
    people that are interested in buying original, classic video games from
    the 80's. Most people collect things of personal value or interest, and
    for video games that means a person likely played the game when it was
    out. Newer collectors are mostly younger and therefore their classics
    are 90's, not 80's games. Combine that with the fact that many of the
    collector's that played and want to collect 80's games are getting
    older and getting married or starting families. Now, their interest AND
    their discretionary income are waning. Supply and demand - less buyers
    and same supply equals lower prices. Now, add MAME and multigame
    emulators to the mix and it further erodes pricing.

    The same reasons why video prices have dropped are why pinball prices
    continue to increase. With pins, there is less supply (i.e. only a
    couple of manufacturers now) and greater demand since pinballs can't be
    emulated and the format of pinballs has been relatively unchanged over
    the last 25 years. And with pins, like classic vids, their reliability
    has improved dramatically over that same time span.

    This trend isn't going to change. There are still folks out there that
    believe that their games will fetch 2000-2001 prices. Cmon, its just
    not happening. I personally have two dedicated Robotron cocktails. A
    couple of years ago these would be like the Quantum - a big money game
    that would have sellers lined up. Now, its worth about half of what it
    was and I have to catch the right person at the right time to get that
    price. Just my opinion.

    Mark
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Good points Mark, I'd have to say that I agree with just about
    everything you said. I'd only add another point to consider: the
    video game revolution in the arcades had it's greatest exposure around
    1980 to 1983 give or take a couple years on either side of those dates.
    Given the limited timeframe, the number of collectors is going to be
    more limited.

    Pinball on the other hand has many generations of players and thus a
    larger base of folks that are going to pursue their nostaliga and
    collect what they remember. There will always be exceptions to the
    rule, but in general the limited boom and bust of video arcade games
    equals limited collectors.

    One more thing to consider, I'd venture to guess vid collectors trend
    more towards computer and IT careers and if you were to make the leap
    that the internet stock boom is long gone plus many of those positions
    are being sent to India, your pool of collectors with interest in
    collecting + cash just got even smaller.

    Maybe we'll all have to sit tight and wait until the video game
    generation becomes grandparents, and starts buying games for their
    grandkids?

    Mike Doyle
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Jeffrey,

    Thanks for the kind words!!! I hope the Qbert is giving you hours
    of fun. My mother-in-law loved that game!!!! Oh well, you can't keep
    them all!!!!!

    Jon
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    RobR,
    Whats your email?
    I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
    lmk
    G.

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    > net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    > $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    > fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    > which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    > ago with wells gardner and have been working
    > fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    > at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    > condition. Thanks!

  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    sent you an email to the address you used to post here.
    mine is munged for obvious reasons, i've had the same
    email address since 1995, so you can't imagine how
    much spam i get.

    "SalahiAndSon" <salahiandson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > RobR,
    > Whats your email?
    > I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
    > lmk
    > G.
    >

    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    >> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    >> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    >> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    >> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    >> ago with wells gardner and have been working
    >> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    >> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    >> condition. Thanks!

  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    RobR,
    Still havent gotten that email. Did it bounce?
    The email i post with is valid.Drop me a line.
    G.

    > sent you an email to the address you used to post here.
    > mine is munged for obvious reasons, i've had the same
    > email address since 1995, so you can't imagine how
    > much spam i get.
    >
    > "SalahiAndSon" <salahiandson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> RobR,
    >> Whats your email?
    >> I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
    >> lmk
    >> G.
    >>

    >> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    >>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    >>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    >>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    >>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    >>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
    >>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    >>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    >>> condition. Thanks!

  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    no, it didnt bounce so i'm not certain what happened. email me at
    rrothbergREMOVETHIS AT GMAIL DOT REMOVETHIS COM

    > RobR,
    > Still havent gotten that email. Did it bounce?
    > The email i post with is valid.Drop me a line.
    > G.
    >
    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> sent you an email to the address you used to post here.
    >> mine is munged for obvious reasons, i've had the same
    >> email address since 1995, so you can't imagine how
    >> much spam i get.
    >>
    >> "SalahiAndSon" <salahiandson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> RobR,
    >>> Whats your email?
    >>> I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
    >>> lmk
    >>> G.
    >>>

    >>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    In case anyone is curious, I posted some half-assed pics
    my friend took here. I'll do some better ones at some point
    when I can get over there.

    http://www.nema.com/quantum/

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
    > net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
    > $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
    > fetching that much. The original allophone boards
    > which are so prone to failure were replaced years
    > ago with wells gardner and have been working
    > fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
    > at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
    > condition. Thanks!

  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace RobR <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    : In case anyone is curious, I posted some half-assed pics
    : my friend took here. I'll do some better ones at some point
    : when I can get over there.
    :
    : http://www.nema.com/quantum/

    Your camera does a good job of demonstrating the lower resolution of
    the WG6100's tube :)

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I'm the one who took those pictures of the Quantums at Rob's
    place....they were completely intact, and each one of them worked
    except for the monitors. I remember that like it was yesterday....

    Brian
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    Brian is referring to Rob Winner's 5 Quantums.

    Steve P.

    RobR wrote:
    > For a second I thought you were talking about
    > the pics I just posted of my Quantum, I was like huh?!?
    > Who IS this guy?!?!? :)
    >
    > - Rob
    >
    > <penzone@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm the one who took those pictures of the Quantums at Rob's
    > > place....they were completely intact, and each one of them worked
    > > except for the monitors. I remember that like it was yesterday....
    > >
    > > Brian

Games Video Atari Video Games Product