whats the going rate for a fully working atari quantum?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 21, 2005 9:31:50 PM

I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
$4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
fetching that much. The original allophone boards
which are so prone to failure were replaced years
ago with wells gardner and have been working
fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
condition. Thanks!
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 9:31:51 PM

Someone was trying to sell a nice working one about 2 months ago for
$2500 and never sold it.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 9:31:51 PM

Did you save the Amplifone boards, tube and yoke? They are better
quality (and worth more) than the WG6100.
June 21, 2005 9:31:51 PM

Probably worth more with the Amplifone boards intact.

Where are you located?

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

June 21, 2005 10:06:11 PM

After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
someone from this group came out to my place and got
it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
a lot more reliable with the WG :) . No, I don't have the
original boards, they had been through hell and back.

I'm in northeast MA.

"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Probably worth more with the Amplifone boards intact.
>
> Where are you located?
>
> --
> -Steve P.
>
> All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:06:12 PM

Hey Rob,

Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?

Dave

> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
> someone from this group came out to my place and got
> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
> a lot more reliable with the WG :) . No, I don't have the
> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
>
> I'm in northeast MA.

June 21, 2005 10:35:35 PM

Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.

/b

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:35:36 PM

I am the one selling the Quantum for $2,500. Mine does have the
Amplifone and has been working perfectly since the day I got it. The
other posters are right though. They do go for much higher than I am
asking, however, you have to find the right person at the right time.
I still haven't found that person.....and the Quantum still remains for
sale as I have another kid on the way and must clear out my
collection!!!

Jon
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:35:36 PM

I agree with Steve here - sure, you *might* find someone willing to
spend the money - but you might be waiting for quite awhile for that to
happen. If you can afford to sit on it until someone decides to take
you up on the asking price, go for it. Guys list games on Ebay all day
long at unrealistic (to the collectors) prices in hopes of finding that
*one* person that is willing to pay whatever the price is for so and so
game. Most of those games if you notice are continuously relisted
because the seller can't seem to find that *one* person that they need.
This was just discussed the other day in RGVAC - search apollo.com (or
whatever his Ebay name is).

There are currently a number of nice "collectable" games available that
just have not sold for their asking prices - the market isn't there
anymore - guys who wanted the special cabinets or were willing to spend
high $$$ for a particular title already got their games and there
aren't many new players stepping up to the plate (no more DOT COM money
floating around maybe). Several years ago guys would have been
fighting one another to buy them for the advertised prices, but those
days are far and few. Example: Flippers.com has a fairly nice mini
Robotron that's been for sale for at least a year at $1995. Then
there's that proto mini Robotron that has the $5-6000 asking price on
it - far as I know, it's STILL unsold. Sure, if I hit the lotto I
might snag it, but that's a long shot at best.

I would say the collector market today would see a $1500-1800 sale
price - maybe a tad lower for this particular specimen since the
Amplifone is AWOL.

Face it, MAME and the fall of the dot com boom are having their impact
on game collecting. The one example of a "rare" game selling recently
and going for high $$ was the Ebay Aztarac. I don't recall anything
else "rare" selling for high $$$... anyone?

Steve P.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:35:36 PM

> so that makes the going rate LESS then $2500... I can't see how you can
argue otherwise...

That may make Jon's particular Quantum worth 2500 (or less) in his
area, but it is not indicative of the market for Quantums in general.

Location, location, location. If it were in a different area or a
different coast, the price may easily be higher. I can personally tell
you of at least 2 Quantums that didn't sell because the buyer was not
able to see the machine personally. In addition, a lot of Q's don't
sell because people don't want to risk shipping it. Have the buyer and
seller in the roughly the same location and prices can be much higher
than 2500.

L.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:51:46 PM

In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace RobR <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
: After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
: and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
: them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
: someone from this group came out to my place and got
: it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
: Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
: It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
: a lot more reliable with the WG :) . No, I don't have the
: original boards, they had been through hell and back.
:
: I'm in northeast MA.

NECO? That's your problem.

I've never had any problems with my amplifones.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Jeffrey Ohler wrote:
> I bought a Q*Bert from Jon last year and got to check out his Quantum. A
> very nice person to do arcade business with by the way. His Quantum game is
> a nice one. I remember also seeing James Marous' collection of vector
> games, he had a mint Quantum along with a bunch of other classics...and I do
> believe Rob Winner in Cleveland had one... just a bit of name dropping from
> the Ghosts of Arcade Collecting's Past.

Rob Winner had like 5 Quantums (IIRC) that he traded to Bob Wood in FL
for a bunch of Ms. Pacs back in like '97. I remember seeing the pics
of his dining room filled with Quantums.

Steve P.
June 22, 2005 12:57:11 AM

ebay, no reserve. that will give you the current market value.
Not nearly as much $ as some would think.
IMO, $3000 was top dollar for that game.
I would say under $2000 somewhere now.

Troy,

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:52:03 AM

" Did I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?"

Jimmy Hoffa?

"David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey Rob,
>
> Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
> board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
> got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
> I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
>
> Dave
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
>> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
>> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
>> someone from this group came out to my place and got
>> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
>> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
>> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
>> a lot more reliable with the WG :) . No, I don't have the
>> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
>>
>> I'm in northeast MA.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:48:23 AM

The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
certainly be willing to pay that much...

problem is finding them...

hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but that
IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...

steve

"prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>
> /b
>

> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>> condition. Thanks!

June 22, 2005 2:48:24 AM

So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
you're just guessing and making assumptions.

/b

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
> possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
> certainly be willing to pay that much...
>
> problem is finding them...
>
> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>
> steve
>
> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>
>> /b
>>

>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>>> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:48:24 AM

funny thing is I prefer that game in mame. I like playing it using the
mouse for control (as opposed to a trackball).

I am sure to people that played it back in the day this is horrible way to
play.... oh well

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
> possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
> certainly be willing to pay that much...
>
> problem is finding them...
>
> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>
> steve
>
> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>
>> /b
>>

>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>>> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:48:24 AM

Wise words. If you ever get stuck with it, you won't mind that badly.
I'm the same way with any collectable.

-isaac
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:48:24 AM

Well, another thing I can tell you is this: I know of two Quantums in
the Ca area that have sold for 3k plus in the last year. Granted, past
performance isn't indicative of future prices, but it wasn't in the
newsgroup and it wasn't eBay. The collectors market still much more
than those two sources.

L.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:48:25 AM

I wouldn't think you would need to own one to know that rare game values are
dropping fast.

At the rate things are going, all vids will be back to 1990 prices soon
(probably within 3 years).

I know a collector that is trying to sell a duramold (converted) and can't
find anyone that even wants it. I am sure that wasn't the case 3 years
ago.

--

> So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
> you're just guessing and making assumptions.
>
> /b
>
> "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes,
>> it's possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time,
>> would certainly be willing to pay that much...
>>
>> problem is finding them...
>>
>> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
>> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
>> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>>
>>> /b
>>>

>>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

June 22, 2005 2:52:22 AM

"David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey Rob,
>
> Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
> board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
> got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
> I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
>
> Dave
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
>> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
>> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
>> someone from this group came out to my place and got
>> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
>> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
>> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
>> a lot more reliable with the WG :) . No, I don't have the
>> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
>>
>> I'm in northeast MA.

Hi Dave!!! No, you never did tell me what you
found in Tron (and it better not be a winning
lottery ticket :) ). Glad to hear you scored a
Quantum too.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:03:23 AM

Here's an option (and I'm being over the top on this):

Please don't flame or kill me for this, but if you really want to get
your 2500 out of this game, part it out. Q is a game where the sum of
the parts is equal the whole.

Control Panel 250
Working Board 650
Cab 700
Marquee 100
Monitor 600
Harness, PS, AR 100

The prices for those parts is NOT unreasonable I guarantee you that.

Boom! close to 2500

End of Discussion :)

L.
June 22, 2005 3:11:42 AM

You know what, I think I may have an idea what you found
in the Tron.... I used to hide stuff in my games when I lived
at home with the parents :) .

"David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey Rob,
>
> Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
> board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
> got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
> I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
>
> Dave
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
>> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
>> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
>> someone from this group came out to my place and got
>> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
>> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
>> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
>> a lot more reliable with the WG :) . No, I don't have the
>> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
>>
>> I'm in northeast MA.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:40:57 AM

no, I have many cabinets but not a quantum, my kids and my neighbors kids
are to young to risk them destorying one... but if you read the forums
enough, or are intelligent enough to do a googlegroups search, you can see
the trend in the marketplace... it doesn't take brain surgery to figure out
the value of an item..

let's face it... Jon's is STILL for sale at $2500 with NO takers...

so that makes the going rate LESS then $2500... I can't see how you can
argue otherwise...

If it was more then I'm sure some enterprising individual (Art, Mark, etc.)
would have snapped it up to resell it...

"prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
> you're just guessing and making assumptions.
>
> /b
>
> "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes,
>> it's possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time,
>> would certainly be willing to pay that much...
>>
>> problem is finding them...
>>
>> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
>> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
>> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>>
>>> /b
>>>

>>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:40:58 AM

> I also currently own 4 of the rarest games out there and have plenty of
> strong standing offers to buy them should I ever want to sell (don't take
> that as bragging, just backing up my position that these games do still
> sell).

You may find those offers will evaporate once the games are available.
People are quick to say they will buy, but that doesn't mean they have the
cash to back it up.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:56:19 AM

In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace RobR <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

: Hi Dave!!! No, you never did tell me what you
: found in Tron (and it better not be a winning
: lottery ticket :) ). Glad to hear you scored a
: Quantum too.

I sold Dave my quantum cabinet about 5 years ago...

Found quantum guts about 4 years ago...

....and to this date haven't found another quantum cabinet to build up.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:33:54 AM

I don't think that anyone really thinks that rgvac and ebay are the only
avenues.

Personally, I think that the $3k days are over (and I am not in the market
for one, FWIW).

--

"LouiSurfer" <louisurfer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, another thing I can tell you is this: I know of two Quantums in
> the Ca area that have sold for 3k plus in the last year. Granted, past
> performance isn't indicative of future prices, but it wasn't in the
> newsgroup and it wasn't eBay. The collectors market still much more
> than those two sources.
>
> L.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:46:42 AM

Yes... and no...

certainly location makes a difference, and certainly machine quality makes a
difference to. I'm not trying to dispute that.

However, if someone HAD to have a Quantum, then Jon's would have been gone
long ago. Let's face it, the odds of finding someone in you're area selling
one is slim. It's a sufficiently rare machine that a determined buyer would
go out of his way for.

That said, I firmly believe that there is a distinct *lack* of determined
buyers in todays market.

>Have the buyer and seller in the roughly the same location and prices can
>be much higher than 2500.

This is true of anything, and the reason why items such as this have a
*range*. However, I can't see how that range has been doing anyting but
decreasing within the last few years.

There were times when a broken one went for over $3K... one went on e-bay
not to long ago for under $2K.

If you're willing to wait for a *long* time for the perfect buyer you can
sell *anything* at an exorbitant price. But those prices just aren't there
any more.

**** I'm saying this and I have NO interest in purchasing the quantum... If
it was $100 I might get it just so I could use the monitor to convert to
something else... I'm just not fond of the game and I don't purchase games I
don't like, no matter the collectability.

>> so that makes the going rate LESS then $2500... I can't see how you can
> argue otherwise...
>
> That may make Jon's particular Quantum worth 2500 (or less) in his
> area, but it is not indicative of the market for Quantums in general.
>
> Location, location, location. If it were in a different area or a
> different coast, the price may easily be higher. I can personally tell
> you of at least 2 Quantums that didn't sell because the buyer was not
> able to see the machine personally. In addition, a lot of Q's don't
> sell because people don't want to risk shipping it. Have the buyer and
> seller in the roughly the same location and prices can be much higher
> than 2500.
>
> L.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:51:48 AM

Rob,

Aside from all the discussions on this topic... the question you *really*
need to ask is how quickly you want to take to sell it. If you can afford
to hold on to it for a while and wait for the perfect deal then you can ask
$3K or more (depending on the shape of the machine). If you want to move it
quickly then it may be signifigantly less... (hate to say it, but your best
bet would be e-bay... most here that want one have them so you'd be selling
to the "collectors of opprotunity" which would probably not go as high as
e-bay).

steve

ps: on the other hand, if you want to enhance your collection you could try
trading it... people might trade you more as it's not cash...

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:56:29 AM

"Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
> funny thing is I prefer that game in mame. I like playing it using the
> mouse for control (as opposed to a trackball).
>
> I am sure to people that played it back in the day this is horrible way to
> play.... oh well
>
> --
> Mickster
>
> Visit my website and see my arcade!!
>
> http://mickster.freeservers.com
>
> "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes,
>> it's possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time,
>> would certainly be willing to pay that much...
>>
>> problem is finding them...
>>
>> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
>> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
>> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>>
>>> /b
>>>

>>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:06:50 AM

In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace stevenprendergast@gmail.com wrote:
:
:
: Jeffrey Ohler wrote:
:> I bought a Q*Bert from Jon last year and got to check out his Quantum. A
:> very nice person to do arcade business with by the way. His Quantum game is
:> a nice one. I remember also seeing James Marous' collection of vector
:> games, he had a mint Quantum along with a bunch of other classics...and I do
:> believe Rob Winner in Cleveland had one... just a bit of name dropping from
:> the Ghosts of Arcade Collecting's Past.
:>
:
: Rob Winner had like 5 Quantums (IIRC) that he traded to Bob Wood in FL
: for a bunch of Ms. Pacs back in like '97. I remember seeing the pics
: of his dining room filled with Quantums.

5 Quantum CABINETS.

Damn urban legends =-P

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:56:02 PM

> Rob Winner had like 5 Quantums (IIRC) that he traded to Bob Wood in FL
> for a bunch of Ms. Pacs back in like '97. I remember seeing the pics
> of his dining room filled with Quantums.

I think I probably fixed some of those. I know at one point I had four Quantum
boards at the same time...

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com
June 22, 2005 5:07:55 PM

> I also
> currently own 4 of the rarest games out there and have plenty of strong
> standing offers to buy them should I ever want to sell (don't take that as
> bragging, just backing up my position that these games do still sell).

And which games would these be?
Super rare games will always sell. But IMO, they need to have fun game play
also.

> Game prices are fine, it's the marketplace that's moved. Primarily due to
> mistrust and too many scams both on the groups and on ebay.

Where is this market? some collector?
I would like to sell my nice Tempest for top dollar.

Troy,
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:52:59 PM

Mark-

Then you are more informed about them that I was. I talked with Rob
about the Quantums at one of the Columbus auctions back in 1998 or so
and he never mentioned that they were missing anything.

(Rob, if you're reading this, it was the auction that I got that mini
Centipede from you for a case of beer and like $50.) :)

Steve P.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:05:42 PM

Centipede Mini for a case of beer and $50?

Reminds me of trading a 6 pack of tacos from Taco Bell for a twin
engine Ugly Stick R/C plane (less motors). That was a hoot to fly by
the way once I got a radio and pair of OS .25's on it.

Mike Doyle
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:27:57 PM

Mike-

It was n/w IIRC and not in "collector quality". It did clean up ok and
I got a working board off of Art for a decent price.

-Steve P.
June 23, 2005 12:00:41 AM

You guts are broadening me. Tell us what was in the Tron cab.

kma

"LouiSurfer" <louisurfer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, another thing I can tell you is this: I know of two Quantums in
> the Ca area that have sold for 3k plus in the last year. Granted, past
> performance isn't indicative of future prices, but it wasn't in the
> newsgroup and it wasn't eBay. The collectors market still much more
> than those two sources.
>
> L.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:01:39 AM

I haven't read everything in this thread, but most of it. And I think
another really big point being missed is that there are less and less
people that are interested in buying original, classic video games from
the 80's. Most people collect things of personal value or interest, and
for video games that means a person likely played the game when it was
out. Newer collectors are mostly younger and therefore their classics
are 90's, not 80's games. Combine that with the fact that many of the
collector's that played and want to collect 80's games are getting
older and getting married or starting families. Now, their interest AND
their discretionary income are waning. Supply and demand - less buyers
and same supply equals lower prices. Now, add MAME and multigame
emulators to the mix and it further erodes pricing.

The same reasons why video prices have dropped are why pinball prices
continue to increase. With pins, there is less supply (i.e. only a
couple of manufacturers now) and greater demand since pinballs can't be
emulated and the format of pinballs has been relatively unchanged over
the last 25 years. And with pins, like classic vids, their reliability
has improved dramatically over that same time span.

This trend isn't going to change. There are still folks out there that
believe that their games will fetch 2000-2001 prices. Cmon, its just
not happening. I personally have two dedicated Robotron cocktails. A
couple of years ago these would be like the Quantum - a big money game
that would have sellers lined up. Now, its worth about half of what it
was and I have to catch the right person at the right time to get that
price. Just my opinion.

Mark
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:04:50 PM

Good points Mark, I'd have to say that I agree with just about
everything you said. I'd only add another point to consider: the
video game revolution in the arcades had it's greatest exposure around
1980 to 1983 give or take a couple years on either side of those dates.
Given the limited timeframe, the number of collectors is going to be
more limited.

Pinball on the other hand has many generations of players and thus a
larger base of folks that are going to pursue their nostaliga and
collect what they remember. There will always be exceptions to the
rule, but in general the limited boom and bust of video arcade games
equals limited collectors.

One more thing to consider, I'd venture to guess vid collectors trend
more towards computer and IT careers and if you were to make the leap
that the internet stock boom is long gone plus many of those positions
are being sent to India, your pool of collectors with interest in
collecting + cash just got even smaller.

Maybe we'll all have to sit tight and wait until the video game
generation becomes grandparents, and starts buying games for their
grandkids?

Mike Doyle
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:27:06 PM

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the kind words!!! I hope the Qbert is giving you hours
of fun. My mother-in-law loved that game!!!! Oh well, you can't keep
them all!!!!!

Jon
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:57:20 PM

RobR,
Whats your email?
I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
lmk
G.

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

June 24, 2005 4:41:26 AM

sent you an email to the address you used to post here.
mine is munged for obvious reasons, i've had the same
email address since 1995, so you can't imagine how
much spam i get.

"SalahiAndSon" <salahiandson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> RobR,
> Whats your email?
> I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
> lmk
> G.
>

> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:18:21 AM

RobR,
Still havent gotten that email. Did it bounce?
The email i post with is valid.Drop me a line.
G.

> sent you an email to the address you used to post here.
> mine is munged for obvious reasons, i've had the same
> email address since 1995, so you can't imagine how
> much spam i get.
>
> "SalahiAndSon" <salahiandson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> RobR,
>> Whats your email?
>> I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
>> lmk
>> G.
>>

>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>>> condition. Thanks!

June 25, 2005 7:03:00 AM

no, it didnt bounce so i'm not certain what happened. email me at
rrothbergREMOVETHIS AT GMAIL DOT REMOVETHIS COM

> RobR,
> Still havent gotten that email. Did it bounce?
> The email i post with is valid.Drop me a line.
> G.
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> sent you an email to the address you used to post here.
>> mine is munged for obvious reasons, i've had the same
>> email address since 1995, so you can't imagine how
>> much spam i get.
>>
>> "SalahiAndSon" <salahiandson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> RobR,
>>> Whats your email?
>>> I am interested in your Quantum but your email is munged.
>>> lmk
>>> G.
>>>

>>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

June 26, 2005 9:33:19 PM

In case anyone is curious, I posted some half-assed pics
my friend took here. I'll do some better ones at some point
when I can get over there.

http://www.nema.com/quantum/

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:44:40 PM

In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace RobR <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
: In case anyone is curious, I posted some half-assed pics
: my friend took here. I'll do some better ones at some point
: when I can get over there.
:
: http://www.nema.com/quantum/

Your camera does a good job of demonstrating the lower resolution of
the WG6100's tube :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:36:28 PM

I'm the one who took those pictures of the Quantums at Rob's
place....they were completely intact, and each one of them worked
except for the monitors. I remember that like it was yesterday....

Brian
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:12:32 PM

Brian is referring to Rob Winner's 5 Quantums.

Steve P.

!