Recently I have lost control of the maintenance functions under Control Panel
- I get a "does not respond" window . Attempting to fix this problem via a
proposed solution found on this board, Control Panel is now gone from the
Start > Settings menu.
As well, Cnrl+Alt+Delete no longer gives me the Task Manager menu.

Any thoughts?

You may have Malware causing that condition. Use All of these free sites.

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.webroot.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en