Dlink wireless not so hot

Running WinXP Professional, DI 714+ Router, 2-900AP+ Repeaters, and DWL 650+
wireless card.

Have nothing but problems with this entire system since installed. Have
already RMA'd the first router and one repeater.

When it works, it works great as I have satellite service and it is
lightning fast.

The problems are that all three must be unplugged and repowered about once a
day to function properly as the signal just goes away. Even where I am now,
showing 4 green bars and excellent signal (repeater is 5 ft away) I cannot
connect on that repeater. I'm pulling off the first repeater about 30 ft
away. And to be able to do that, we just had to unplug the router and both
repeaters. This is so irritating! My husband is so frustrated with all of
this.

I have been on the phone with DLink so many times, i have lost count. The
intermittent connection drives me crazy!

Just my two cents and if anyone has the solution, I would love to hear it.

More about dlink wireless

    "Donna" <donnamcmSTOPSPAM@gain.com> wrote in

    > Running WinXP Professional, DI 714+ Router, 2-900AP+ Repeaters, and
    > DWL 650+ wireless card.
    >
    > Have nothing but problems with this entire system since installed.
    > Have already RMA'd the first router and one repeater.
    >
    > When it works, it works great as I have satellite service and it is
    > lightning fast.
    >
    > The problems are that all three must be unplugged and repowered about
    > once a day to function properly as the signal just goes away. Even
    > where I am now, showing 4 green bars and excellent signal (repeater is
    > 5 ft away) I cannot connect on that repeater. I'm pulling off the
    > first repeater about 30 ft away. And to be able to do that, we just
    > had to unplug the router and both repeaters. This is so irritating! My
    > husband is so frustrated with all of this.
    >
    > I have been on the phone with DLink so many times, i have lost count.
    > The intermittent connection drives me crazy!
    >
    > Just my two cents and if anyone has the solution, I would love to
    > hear it.

    You sure it's not XP and its Wireless Zero Configuration service that
    seeks out other wireless in your area and drops your connection when it
    does that?

    Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
    connection. Did that change here recently?

    Duane :)

    Duane :)

    > Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
    > connection. Did that change here recently?

    Why doesn't it?
    My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
    ethernet connection.
    He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
    can never go wireless.

    Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.

    Try a different wireless card. I was using a 900ap+ with my Dell
    Inspiron 8200 with the built in truemobile wifi mini-pci card. It was
    constantly dropping the signal and trying to re-acquire it. I replaced
    it with the mini-pci pulled from a D-link.

    Now I realize you're using a DWL 650+ but it just might be the one
    device that's busted. I have another Sony with a Netgear wireless card
    and it works fine with the D-link gear (just turn off the wireless
    configuration in windows).

    In article <107evv9jj02ai68@corp.supernews.com>,
    donnamcmSTOPSPAM@gain.com says...

    --
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost

    Look for possible sources of intermittent interference. ie; other WiFi
    devices in your neighborhood, some cordless phones, wireless TV video,
    cellular phones, microwave oven, burglar alarms, etc. All these devices can
    be operating in the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and wreak havoc with your WiFi.

    Bill Crocker

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:23:39 -0400, Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >> Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
    >> connection. Did that change here recently?
    >
    >Why doesn't it?
    >My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
    >ethernet connection.
    >He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
    >can never go wireless.

    The older DirecPC stuff had a USB modem. Although DPC recommended a
    software solution (like winroute, etc.), you COULD use it through a
    router with usb>ethernet--ethernet>usb converters. It was a real pain
    to get configured properly (mainly due to the DPC software), but
    worked fine once you had it configured. IIRC, there was also a direct
    hardware hack that allowed these modems to be used on ethernet systems
    directly. An acquaintance even had one of the old one-way usb DPC
    modems (downlink) and a usb v.90 modem (uplink) that he managed to use
    a hardware router on. It's been awhile, but I think he actually used
    a W2K box more of less as a DPC "gateway", if you will, with this box
    between the DPC equipment and his router.

    Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in news:UOQdc.43005$wq4.2479678
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    >> Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
    >> connection. Did that change here recently?
    >
    > Why doesn't it?
    > My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
    > ethernet connection.
    > He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
    > can never go wireless.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/router-guide/features.asp

    That last time I looked and tried to help someone with a router and
    satellite connection, it wouldn't work with the router.

    It looks like that may not be the case in all situations.

    As for wireless, I don't know.

    Duane :)

    Bubba <vjdqlwlj02@sneakemail.com> wrote in

    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:23:39 -0400, Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>> Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
    >>> connection. Did that change here recently?
    >>
    >>Why doesn't it?
    >>My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
    >>ethernet connection.
    >>He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
    >>can never go wireless.
    >
    > The older DirecPC stuff had a USB modem. Although DPC recommended a
    > software solution (like winroute, etc.), you COULD use it through a
    > router with usb>ethernet--ethernet>usb converters. It was a real pain
    > to get configured properly (mainly due to the DPC software), but
    > worked fine once you had it configured. IIRC, there was also a direct
    > hardware hack that allowed these modems to be used on ethernet systems
    > directly. An acquaintance even had one of the old one-way usb DPC
    > modems (downlink) and a usb v.90 modem (uplink) that he managed to use
    > a hardware router on. It's been awhile, but I think he actually used
    > a W2K box more of less as a DPC "gateway", if you will, with this box
    > between the DPC equipment and his router.

    Yes, that was my take on getting a satellite connection to work was to
    make a Win2k machine be a gateway device connected to the satellite
    connection with a second NIC facing the LAN. Then you could use a HUB or
    Switch connected to the second NIC.

    Duane :)

    >Yes, that was my take on getting a satellite connection to work was to
    >make a Win2k machine be a gateway device connected to the satellite
    >connection with a second NIC facing the LAN. Then you could use a HUB or
    >Switch connected to the second NIC.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Yes, when the W2K box was used, there were very few situations where
    anything other than a hub was needed, although a switch might have
    benefitted on a busy network. There were a few masochists that
    insisted on other configurations, however. Personally, I couldn't
    drop DPC fast enough when something better became available. But hey,
    the big DPC dish sure does reduce rain fade on DTV (and about all that
    it's good for, IMO).

    And what if you find that there are indeed such "sources of
    intermittent interference"?

    Where do you go from there?

    It seems one of my neighbours has something going.
    I can see an SSID that is not mine.

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:45:27 -0400, Bill Crocker wrote:

    >Look for possible sources of intermittent interference. ie; other WiFi
    >devices in your neighborhood, some cordless phones, wireless TV video,
    >cellular phones, microwave oven, burglar alarms, etc. All these devices can
    >be operating in the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and wreak havoc with your WiFi.
    >
    >Bill Crocker

    Lars
    Stockholm

    In article <kp6l7054v4r65flloteu7v8b9n5kl9u377@4ax.com>, lars.albinsson@telia.com wrote:
    >And what if you find that there are indeed such "sources of
    >intermittent interference"?
    >
    >Where do you go from there?
    >
    >It seems one of my neighbours has something going.
    >I can see an SSID that is not mine.

    Ah then start switching channels on the AP. Moving from 1 to 11 might help.

    >On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:45:27 -0400, Bill Crocker wrote:
    >
    >>Look for possible sources of intermittent interference. ie; other WiFi
    >>devices in your neighborhood, some cordless phones, wireless TV video,
    >>cellular phones, microwave oven, burglar alarms, etc. All these devices can
    >>be operating in the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and wreak havoc with your WiFi.
    >>
    >>Bill Crocker
    >

    >Lars
    >Stockholm

    Really there are only 3 channels that are non overlapping 1,6,11. It is
    suggested that you choose one of these to ensure you do not conflict with
    another wireless guy. If he is on 1 use 6 or 11 etc.

    Michael

    "Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <kp6l7054v4r65flloteu7v8b9n5kl9u377@4ax.com>,
    lars.albinsson@telia.com wrote:
    > >And what if you find that there are indeed such "sources of
    > >intermittent interference"?
    > >
    > >Where do you go from there?
    > >
    > >It seems one of my neighbours has something going.
    > >I can see an SSID that is not mine.
    >
    > Ah then start switching channels on the AP. Moving from 1 to 11 might
    help.

    > >On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:45:27 -0400, Bill Crocker wrote:
    > >
    > >>Look for possible sources of intermittent interference. ie; other WiFi
    > >>devices in your neighborhood, some cordless phones, wireless TV video,
    > >>cellular phones, microwave oven, burglar alarms, etc. All these devices
    can
    > >>be operating in the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and wreak havoc with your
    WiFi.

    > >>Bill Crocker
    > >

    > >Lars
    > >Stockholm