Dlink wireless not so hot

Running WinXP Professional, DI 714+ Router, 2-900AP+ Repeaters, and DWL 650+
wireless card.

Have nothing but problems with this entire system since installed. Have
already RMA'd the first router and one repeater.

When it works, it works great as I have satellite service and it is
lightning fast.

The problems are that all three must be unplugged and repowered about once a
day to function properly as the signal just goes away. Even where I am now,
showing 4 green bars and excellent signal (repeater is 5 ft away) I cannot
connect on that repeater. I'm pulling off the first repeater about 30 ft
away. And to be able to do that, we just had to unplug the router and both
repeaters. This is so irritating! My husband is so frustrated with all of
this.

I have been on the phone with DLink so many times, i have lost count. The
intermittent connection drives me crazy!

Just my two cents and if anyone has the solution, I would love to hear it.

"Donna" <donnamcmSTOPSPAM@gain.com> wrote in

> Running WinXP Professional, DI 714+ Router, 2-900AP+ Repeaters, and
> DWL 650+ wireless card.
>
> Have nothing but problems with this entire system since installed.
> Have already RMA'd the first router and one repeater.
>
> When it works, it works great as I have satellite service and it is
> lightning fast.
>
> The problems are that all three must be unplugged and repowered about
> once a day to function properly as the signal just goes away. Even
> where I am now, showing 4 green bars and excellent signal (repeater is
> 5 ft away) I cannot connect on that repeater. I'm pulling off the
> first repeater about 30 ft away. And to be able to do that, we just
> had to unplug the router and both repeaters. This is so irritating! My
> husband is so frustrated with all of this.
>
> I have been on the phone with DLink so many times, i have lost count.
> The intermittent connection drives me crazy!
>
> Just my two cents and if anyone has the solution, I would love to
> hear it.

You sure it's not XP and its Wireless Zero Configuration service that
seeks out other wireless in your area and drops your connection when it
does that?

Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
connection. Did that change here recently?

Duane :)

Duane :)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
> connection. Did that change here recently?

Why doesn't it?
My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
ethernet connection.
He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
can never go wireless.

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.

sToic

Try a different wireless card. I was using a 900ap+ with my Dell
Inspiron 8200 with the built in truemobile wifi mini-pci card. It was
constantly dropping the signal and trying to re-acquire it. I replaced
it with the mini-pci pulled from a D-link.

Now I realize you're using a DWL 650+ but it just might be the one
device that's busted. I have another Sony with a Netgear wireless card
and it works fine with the D-link gear (just turn off the wireless
configuration in windows).

In article <107evv9jj02ai68@corp.supernews.com>,
donnamcmSTOPSPAM@gain.com says...

--
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost

Look for possible sources of intermittent interference. ie; other WiFi
devices in your neighborhood, some cordless phones, wireless TV video,
cellular phones, microwave oven, burglar alarms, etc. All these devices can
be operating in the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and wreak havoc with your WiFi.

Bill Crocker

"Donna" <donnamcmSTOPSPAM@gain.com> wrote in message
> Running WinXP Professional, DI 714+ Router, 2-900AP+ Repeaters, and DWL
650+
> wireless card.
>
> Have nothing but problems with this entire system since installed. Have
> already RMA'd the first router and one repeater.
>
> When it works, it works great as I have satellite service and it is
> lightning fast.
>
> The problems are that all three must be unplugged and repowered about once
> day to function properly as the signal just goes away. Even where I am
now,
> showing 4 green bars and excellent signal (repeater is 5 ft away) I cannot
> connect on that repeater. I'm pulling off the first repeater about 30 ft
> away. And to be able to do that, we just had to unplug the router and both
> repeaters. This is so irritating! My husband is so frustrated with all of
> this.
>
> I have been on the phone with DLink so many times, i have lost count. The
> intermittent connection drives me crazy!
>
> Just my two cents and if anyone has the solution, I would love to hear
it.

> --

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:23:39 -0400, Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com>
wrote:

>> Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
>> connection. Did that change here recently?
>
>Why doesn't it?
>My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
>ethernet connection.
>He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
>can never go wireless.

The older DirecPC stuff had a USB modem. Although DPC recommended a
software solution (like winroute, etc.), you COULD use it through a
router with usb>ethernet--ethernet>usb converters. It was a real pain
to get configured properly (mainly due to the DPC software), but
worked fine once you had it configured. IIRC, there was also a direct
hardware hack that allowed these modems to be used on ethernet systems
directly. An acquaintance even had one of the old one-way usb DPC
modems (downlink) and a usb v.90 modem (uplink) that he managed to use
a hardware router on. It's been awhile, but I think he actually used
a W2K box more of less as a DPC "gateway", if you will, with this box
between the DPC equipment and his router.

Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in news:UOQdc.43005$wq4.2479678
@news20.bellglobal.com:

>> Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
>> connection. Did that change here recently?
>
> Why doesn't it?
> My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
> ethernet connection.
> He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
> can never go wireless.

http://www.homenethelp.com/router-guide/features.asp

That last time I looked and tried to help someone with a router and
satellite connection, it wouldn't work with the router.

It looks like that may not be the case in all situations.

As for wireless, I don't know.

Duane :)

Bubba <vjdqlwlj02@sneakemail.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:23:39 -0400, Bob <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Also, the last time I looked, a router doesn't work with a satellite
>>> connection. Did that change here recently?
>>
>>Why doesn't it?
>>My brother has satellite Internet and the high speed modem has an
>>ethernet connection.
>>He's currently using a wired router but I'm sure he didn't know that he
>>can never go wireless.
>
> The older DirecPC stuff had a USB modem. Although DPC recommended a
> software solution (like winroute, etc.), you COULD use it through a
> router with usb>ethernet--ethernet>usb converters. It was a real pain
> to get configured properly (mainly due to the DPC software), but
> worked fine once you had it configured. IIRC, there was also a direct
> hardware hack that allowed these modems to be used on ethernet systems
> directly. An acquaintance even had one of the old one-way usb DPC
> modems (downlink) and a usb v.90 modem (uplink) that he managed to use
> a hardware router on. It's been awhile, but I think he actually used
> a W2K box more of less as a DPC "gateway", if you will, with this box
> between the DPC equipment and his router.

Yes, that was my take on getting a satellite connection to work was to
make a Win2k machine be a gateway device connected to the satellite
connection with a second NIC facing the LAN. Then you could use a HUB or
Switch connected to the second NIC.

Duane :)

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>Yes, that was my take on getting a satellite connection to work was to
>make a Win2k machine be a gateway device connected to the satellite
>connection with a second NIC facing the LAN. Then you could use a HUB or
>Switch connected to the second NIC.
>
>Duane :)

Yes, when the W2K box was used, there were very few situations where
anything other than a hub was needed, although a switch might have
benefitted on a busy network. There were a few masochists that
insisted on other configurations, however. Personally, I couldn't
drop DPC fast enough when something better became available. But hey,
the big DPC dish sure does reduce rain fade on DTV (and about all that
it's good for, IMO).

And what if you find that there are indeed such "sources of
intermittent interference"?

Where do you go from there?

It seems one of my neighbours has something going.
I can see an SSID that is not mine.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:45:27 -0400, Bill Crocker wrote:

>Look for possible sources of intermittent interference. ie; other WiFi
>devices in your neighborhood, some cordless phones, wireless TV video,
>cellular phones, microwave oven, burglar alarms, etc. All these devices can
>be operating in the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and wreak havoc with your WiFi.
>
>Bill Crocker

Lars
Stockholm

rico

In article <kp6l7054v4r65flloteu7v8b9n5kl9u377@4ax.com>, lars.albinsson@telia.com wrote:
>And what if you find that there are indeed such "sources of
>intermittent interference"?
>
>Where do you go from there?
>
>It seems one of my neighbours has something going.
>I can see an SSID that is not mine.

Ah then start switching channels on the AP. Moving from 1 to 11 might help.

>On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:45:27 -0400, Bill Crocker wrote:
>
>>Look for possible sources of intermittent interference. ie; other WiFi
>>devices in your neighborhood, some cordless phones, wireless TV video,
>>cellular phones, microwave oven, burglar alarms, etc. All these devices can
>>be operating in the same 2.4GHz spectrum, and wreak havoc with your WiFi.
>>
>>Bill Crocker
>

>Lars
>Stockholm

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Really there are only 3 channels that are non overlapping 1,6,11. It is
suggested that you choose one of these to ensure you do not conflict with
another wireless guy. If he is on 1 use 6 or 11 etc.

Michael