Dual booting

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
If I new to anything that isn't windows and I am thinking of installing linux on my machine and dual booting. Mandrake linux's site says "GNU/Linux will install a dual-boot loader and you can choose which OS you want to run each time you switch on your computer!" Is that something most free linux's offer? And will I have to lose all of the data on my hard drive/reinstall windows.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A boot loader (option to pick what OS to boot) is standard with any version of linux. It even comes with XP/NT for sure as well (install winXP with win98 and you will boot to ntldr which will give you the option of XP or 98).

You will not lose all your windows information. Mandrake makes it easy. When it comes to setting up your disk, you get a screen that shows a coloured bar representing your disk with your windows install. You grab a slider, make it smaller, then click in the new gray part of the bar and set up your new partitions. It's so simple it's almost stupid :)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Does Red Hat installation not require any loss of data also? And when you say windows info, do you mean I won't need to reinstall windows, but I will lose my files, or I will lose no data? Thanks.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Redhat is very similar yes. You won't lose anything.

If you're really nervous about it, then get partition magic. You can resize all your partitions from the comfort of windows, and SEE that you aren't losing anything. Then just install linux in the free space.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
well, if your sure I won't lose anything, I trust your judgement since I don't want to spend any money. If you wouldn't mind, are there any websites that help with getting familiar with Linux? Tutorials or just websites that are about Linux?

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Sorry for all the Q's, I am a newbie, in another post you said "Download it from their site, burn the .iso files to cd and boot from that.", do you recommend that or can I just install from my HD?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to experience linux without having to re-partition, and without booting from the cd, then get linux-mandrake. You can do a full out install, but you can also install it on your windows partition like a regular windows program. You start it up and it reboots your computer into linux. When you're done, just reboot again and you're in windows.

linuxnewbie.org has a lot of good resources.

Regardless of which way you do it, you still have to download and burn the .iso files, unless you want to pay them the $3 or whatever to mail you the cds.

Now that I've remembered about that optional way to install mandrake, that's what I'd suggest for now. It's pretty easy to do. I've never done it, so I probably couldn't help you out much after, but if you do get totally lost and decide you hate linux, then it's extremely easy to uninstall; you won't have to worry about extra partitions.

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
If re-partitioning does not cause you to lose data and doesn't have any disadvantages, I have no problem with repartitoning, and I have already downloaded disc one of Red Hat, still recommend Mandrake?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It has disadvantages:

1. It takes time.
2. If you don't like linux, then you have to re-partition again.

I still recommend mandrake. Redhat is good and easy, but Mandrake makes it so easy it's almost stupid. Ever installed something in windows <yes> <okay> <next> <next> <okay> <finish>? That's how easy it is to install mandrake.

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
I have time, and if I don't like linux, I can just select to boot windows in the dual boot, I don't have to boot linux, correct?

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Sorry again, I am pretty new to installing OS's, but why do you have to burn the files to a CD if you don't boot from the CD? And you can install mandrake on a seperate partiton for dual booting right? And that is in the installer. And do I need the internalization CD download?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's how it works. You choose either windows or linux at boot up. No going into linux first if you don't want to.

Well, I suppose if you were just going to do the "inside windows install" for linux that you could get away with just using an iso reader like daemon tools or iso buster... But if you're gonna boot from the cd, then you gotta burn it.

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Sorry, a couple more Q's, do I need to install disk 3, Internalization? And Nero made me have a floppy for a boot CD, do I need boot floppy's for extras and internalizationor, or just the first install one?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
All you need is the first cd, although the second cd has some cool programs you will probably want later too :)

eagamer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
OK, I hope you don't mind, I'm having trouble installing... I inserted my boot cd and disk, and it asked me if I wanted to start the computer with cd rom support, or without, I chose with, and then it came up with "path can't be found", "filename could..." and stuff like that, and it told me to insert windows 98 CD 2. Which is funny since I have XP installed... Any ideas?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't use a boot floppy. Take it out, leave the linux cd in and try again.

Make sure boot from cd is enabled in your BIOS.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
:)

Good to hear.

I trust all your hardware is working and what not too? :)

All you really have to do is install your video card drivers, but I'll leave it up to you to find out exactly how. nVidia has an awesome page on how to do that if you have an nvidia card.

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Sorry, new name, same me, why do I need to install video card drivers? It works fine, I do have another question or two though. What does the third CD, internalization, do? I didn't install it. And also, to boot up it does all this checking, and if here is an ethernet card configured it takes especially long, is there a way to skip that?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The video card works fine I'm sure, but you probably don't have 3d acceleration enabled yet... Maybe it's best to let you figure that out on your own though ;)

Do you have an nvidia card btw?

I don't know what the 3rd cd does off hand, but I'm gonna guess that it has all the other languages/keyboards/etc on it.

All that checking is no different from anything windows does when it boots up really... You might be able to change some settings in the network config to make it quicker, but you don't want to skip anything or else things will start not working... Did you enable DHCP?

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I haven't changed any settings. My video card is integrated on an intel motherboard. And would it be easy to install the third CD without reinstalling linux?
Thanks for all the help with getting me started on linux.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Integrated video on the mobo won't need additional setup for what you're using the computer for then :) You're set.

If you want to install the internationalization stuff, then just put the cd in the drive and see what's on it. If it looks too difficult, then just boot from the first cd again and select "UPGRADE" when you get the choice. Just hit okay a bunch of times and it'll just skip through most of the install as you've already done it. Select that you have the 3rd cd, and then it'll just continue the install from there.

No problem :)