problem installing ATI 9600XT on asus A7V8X-LA mot

Bellbottom

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2004
I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion a532x computer, and I am trying to add an ATI 9600XT. When I add the video card, and turn the system on, I'm not getting any signal from the monitor output. If I try to switch to the system's original monitor output, I don't get any signal either. Even though I'm not getting any monitor signal, it doesn't seem like the system is booting up completely. If I remove the card, the original system monitor output works. I think there is a conflict between the onboard video and the new video card. The computer has an AMD 2800+ processor, 512mb ram, and a 250W power supply. The motherboard is a A7V8X-LA mother board. The mobo itself has the VIA KM400 chipset with 3pci and 1 agp slot. I've contacted HP and they said the card will work in the system. I've tried disabling the onboard video through the control panel, and removed the S3 video drivers through add/remove programs, but with no success. Windows XP just seems to reload the drivers when I restart. I've also looked under the BIOS setup, and there don't seem to be too many options that would affect the video. The only option that seems would pertain is one relating to selecting the video source. There are 2 options, PCI and AGP/ONBOARD. The default setting was PCI, but I don't get any effect when changing this option. I've followed the video card instructions, and have even downloaded the new Via Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers to get the latest AGP GART. Is the motherboard compatible with the 9600XT? Has anyone had any success integrating the two? How do i fix this??Need help!!! Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might have a power supply problem.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>