NOOB: Need Baby Pac Monitor Help

salty

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

Please excuse my total NOOBness... I'm a pinball geek not video so this
whole "tube" thing is new to me. I hope you'll take pitty on me and
help straighten me out. I have been surfing Google Groups for a bit
trying to figure this out on my own, but I'm thoroughly confused and
need help... I tried to find a FAQ but failed.

I have a just received a baby pac-man that is being cranky. The video
is just a single line across the center of the screen from right to
left. I gather this is called vertical collapse. A lot of posts here
seem to point to this being a capacitor replacement issue. The fella
that sold it to me, Tom Fischels of retro arcade, stated that the
monitor had been recapped. I've seen him post here and in the pinball
group and he seems to be a standup guy so I'm taking his word for it.
That, and all the caps look spanking new. There is a small matter of
this copper coil of wire hanging over the board which I just noticed a
few minutes ago. It looks like it's supposed to be coiled over a small
black post on the (deflection?) board. I have taken some pictures of
this, unfortunately I had to take them with my phone as the digital
camera is out of town at the moment. (
http://www.austindesign.com/babypac/ ) Is this something that I should
worry about? Could this be the source of my problems, or is it
something unrelated? I wish I could tell you more about the model of
the (deflection?) board, but I'm still trying to figure that out
myself. Any tips are greatly appreciated. The monitor, of which there
is a piture on that previous link, is a Toshiba 370KSB22. I have read
people on here refer to somethings that I need some clarfication on:

* Did Wells Gardner Sell Chassiss with Toshiba tubes? More
specifically, do references to that manufacturer refer to the board,
tube, or both?

* Does "chassis" refer to the mount, tube, AND board?

* Are tubes and deflection boards interchangeable?

* How do I find out what kind of (deflection?) board I have? There was
no discernable model number on there and I'm not going to pull the
board without grounding the flyback; which I can't do because the third
prong in the power cord is missing. (Gonna fix that tonight after a
trip to Lowe's Home Improvement.)

What is this G07 that I hear referred to so much? It's even mentioned
in the back of the baby pac manual...

Your patience and help is greatly appreciated (especially by my
girlfriend, since this is her game).

Jonathan

First of all since the monitor is mounted vertically, if the line is
straight across, you have a horizontal deflection failure.

Second, the item you are describing is called a horizontal width coil. It
is common for these to be broken, if its intact and can be bent upright and
not touch anything it should be ok (other than out of adjustment)

> * Did Wells Gardner Sell Chassiss with Toshiba tubes? More
> specifically, do references to that manufacturer refer to the board,
> tube, or both?

You need to look at the frame and chassis to identify, whats on the tube
really doesn't help

> * Does "chassis" refer to the mount, tube, AND board?

board

> * Are tubes and deflection boards interchangeable?

Yes, but at your skill level I would say no.

> * How do I find out what kind of (deflection?) board I have? There was
> no discernable model number on there and I'm not going to pull the
> board without grounding the flyback; which I can't do because the third
> prong in the power cord is missing. (Gonna fix that tonight after a
> trip to Lowe's Home Improvement.)

Ok, when you ground the anode, you are grounding it to the tube/frame (think
of it as a big capacitor). It does not matter if the frame is grounded or
not. You should be able to id the the monitor on bobs web page. Also, once
its id'ed then you can just do a search for one of randy fromms monitor
repair flowchart tech sheet. If after using that sheet you are still
confused, it would be easier to buy a new monitor (13 inch monitors are
cheap).

> What is this G07 that I hear referred to so much? It's even mentioned
> in the back of the baby pac manual...

Its a type of monitor, if the chassis/frame says electrahome on it somewhere
than the monitor is a g07 (easist monitor to diagnose and fix by far!)

> Your patience and help is greatly appreciated (especially by my
> girlfriend, since this is her game).
>
> Jonathan

Monitors are about as easy to fix as it gets since there is so much tech
info on the web. Be careful about high voltage and realize that you can put
a brand new one in for about $150 and probably sell the old monitor chassis
for $35 so you are only looking about saving a $100 by fixing it yourself.
You can also pull the whole monitor and drop it off at a tv shop and have it
repaired for $75-100.

Good luck, search google(both web and newsgroup) once you have the monitor
id'ed. Every question you have has already been asking and answered.

Later,

mickster

also if it says DBQ on it somewhere on the chassis pcb then its a Wells
Gardiner.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Salty" <salty_sohal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Please excuse my total NOOBness... I'm a pinball geek not video so this
> whole "tube" thing is new to me. I hope you'll take pitty on me and
> help straighten me out. I have been surfing Google Groups for a bit
> trying to figure this out on my own, but I'm thoroughly confused and
> need help... I tried to find a FAQ but failed.
>
> I have a just received a baby pac-man that is being cranky. The video
> is just a single line across the center of the screen from right to
> left. I gather this is called vertical collapse. A lot of posts here
> seem to point to this being a capacitor replacement issue. The fella
> that sold it to me, Tom Fischels of retro arcade, stated that the
> monitor had been recapped. I've seen him post here and in the pinball
> group and he seems to be a standup guy so I'm taking his word for it.
> That, and all the caps look spanking new. There is a small matter of
> this copper coil of wire hanging over the board which I just noticed a
> few minutes ago. It looks like it's supposed to be coiled over a small
> black post on the (deflection?) board. I have taken some pictures of
> this, unfortunately I had to take them with my phone as the digital
> camera is out of town at the moment. (
> http://www.austindesign.com/babypac/ ) Is this something that I should
> worry about? Could this be the source of my problems, or is it
> something unrelated? I wish I could tell you more about the model of
> the (deflection?) board, but I'm still trying to figure that out
> myself. Any tips are greatly appreciated. The monitor, of which there
> is a piture on that previous link, is a Toshiba 370KSB22. I have read
> people on here refer to somethings that I need some clarfication on:
>
> * Did Wells Gardner Sell Chassiss with Toshiba tubes? More
> specifically, do references to that manufacturer refer to the board,
> tube, or both?
>
> * Does "chassis" refer to the mount, tube, AND board?
>
> * Are tubes and deflection boards interchangeable?
>
> * How do I find out what kind of (deflection?) board I have? There was
> no discernable model number on there and I'm not going to pull the
> board without grounding the flyback; which I can't do because the third
> prong in the power cord is missing. (Gonna fix that tonight after a
> trip to Lowe's Home Improvement.)
>
> What is this G07 that I hear referred to so much? It's even mentioned
> in the back of the baby pac manual...
>
> Your patience and help is greatly appreciated (especially by my
> girlfriend, since this is her game).
>
> Jonathan

salty

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

So in summation:

The coil that's drooping is the horizontal width coil, and that's what
is more than likely broken.

To Fix:

1) Get part/model number off of the chassis.
2) Go to Bob Roberts page ( http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/parts.html )
3) Order appropriate coil for my PCB.
4) Replace & adjust horizontal coil
a) If Horizontal coil doesn't fix it, then see Randy Fomm's page (
http://randyfromm.com/ )
5) Play game, be happy.

Sound about right? Did I miss anything?

Thanks again guys! (Heather says thanks too)

-Jonathan

Randy fromms flowcharts may not be available on his page anymore (so it may
take a bit more searching to find them).

--

> So in summation:
>
> The coil that's drooping is the horizontal width coil, and that's what
> is more than likely broken.
>
> To Fix:
>
> 1) Get part/model number off of the chassis.
> 2) Go to Bob Roberts page ( http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/parts.html )
> 3) Order appropriate coil for my PCB.
> 4) Replace & adjust horizontal coil
> a) If Horizontal coil doesn't fix it, then see Randy Fomm's page (
> http://randyfromm.com/ )
> 5) Play game, be happy.
>
> Sound about right? Did I miss anything?
>
> Thanks again guys! (Heather says thanks too)
>
> -Jonathan

As Mickey stated it's the Horizontal width coil... since the monitor is
mounted vertically and you have a straight line from left to right (which is
normally the *width* of the monitor when mounted horizontally) it seems to
imply that the width coil has gone bad (obviously) and is now an open.

The first thing to do would be to replace the width coil and see if that
corrects the problem. (at best it needs to be replaced anyway).

If that doesn't fix it then post back and we'll figure it out.

steve