Tech: WG 25k5108

Howdy gang!

I've got a Wells 25" monitor (5108) here. At the Anode cap there is a
second HT wire that goes to a white box attatched to the frame. From
the white box there is a small black wire tied in a bundle and hanging,
it makes no connection to anything else and doesn't appear to have ever
gone anywhere else. There are no other connections to this white box.

So, here's my question - There is a corona visible on the end of the
black wire along with a high pitched noise. So... what's the box do
and why would there be HV discharge from the end of the back wire??

BTW, the monitor does work, I'm just curious about this box!

Thanks,
Dave

Carl

Dave,

The white box is actually a discharge capacitor and the black wire must
be securely attached to the monitor frame. This grounds the capacitor
which allows the 2nd anode voltage to discharge when the power to the
tube is turned off. When left loose like you are decribing, the black
wire is a the same voltage as the 2nd anode attached to the tube! This
is extremely dangerous. You should cut all power to the monitor and
attach the black wire asap. Make sure the black wire is secured to the
frame tightly with a screw, nut, and lockwasher.

Carl

D_Zoot wrote:
> Howdy gang!
>
> I've got a Wells 25" monitor (5108) here. At the Anode cap there is a
> second HT wire that goes to a white box attatched to the frame. From
> the white box there is a small black wire tied in a bundle and hanging,
> it makes no connection to anything else and doesn't appear to have ever
> gone anywhere else. There are no other connections to this white box.
>
> So, here's my question - There is a corona visible on the end of the
> black wire along with a high pitched noise. So... what's the box do
> and why would there be HV discharge from the end of the back wire??
>
> BTW, the monitor does work, I'm just curious about this box!
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Thanks Carl,

The monitor is on the shelf anyway due to low emissions on the blue gun
(rejuv didn't bring it back up enough to be useable). I'm waiting for
a good tube to come along with a bad chassis, so for now it doesn't
matter.

I knew the corona discharge wasn't right, just didn't know what the box
was supposed to be doing !! Thanks for filling in the blank spot in my
knowledge!

Dave