Start up takes 20 min

When I turn on my PC, it sometimes takes 20+ min to start working. Anything
I click on during this time freezes, nothing works, and it sounds like my
hard drive is processing or working all this time. Is there a way I can see
what it is that is running so I can disable it? When I open the Task
Manager, and the Processes tab, I see lots of files with numbers changing but
don't have any idea what they are. If I click on "end process" it warns me
not to, so I don't. I'm looking for a place I can see what's actually
running in plain English, so I can decide whether to get rid of it or not.

I have Norton Anti-Virus and Internet security installed and this may be
causing the problem but I'm not sure. I thought I'd try to get some help
before I heave it all out the window!! :)
Thank you!
--
Judio www.no9254me.com

Try R.clicking my computer,properties,advanced,start-up/recovery,settings,
In the default OS window,it should read:"Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/
fast detect Or Pro,but after fast detect,if more exist,edit and delete,if
another
line exist,edit and delete it.

"Judio" wrote:

> When I turn on my PC, it sometimes takes 20+ min to start working. Anything
> I click on during this time freezes, nothing works, and it sounds like my
> hard drive is processing or working all this time. Is there a way I can see
> what it is that is running so I can disable it? When I open the Task
> Manager, and the Processes tab, I see lots of files with numbers changing but
> don't have any idea what they are. If I click on "end process" it warns me
> not to, so I don't. I'm looking for a place I can see what's actually
> running in plain English, so I can decide whether to get rid of it or not.
>
> I have Norton Anti-Virus and Internet security installed and this may be
> causing the problem but I'm not sure. I thought I'd try to get some help
> before I heave it all out the window!! :)
> Thank you!
> --
> Judio www.no9254me.com

Byte

You're Startup is probably loading too many apps bogging your system down.
Go to: Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
Now click the Startup tab and disable/uncheck everything except your
anti-virus program. Click Apply and Close. Reboot.
Now it should boot in less then 3 minutes..........good luck :~)
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Judio" wrote:

> When I turn on my PC, it sometimes takes 20+ min to start working. Anything
> I click on during this time freezes, nothing works, and it sounds like my
> hard drive is processing or working all this time. Is there a way I can see
> what it is that is running so I can disable it? When I open the Task
> Manager, and the Processes tab, I see lots of files with numbers changing but
> don't have any idea what they are. If I click on "end process" it warns me
> not to, so I don't. I'm looking for a place I can see what's actually
> running in plain English, so I can decide whether to get rid of it or not.
>
> I have Norton Anti-Virus and Internet security installed and this may be
> causing the problem but I'm not sure. I thought I'd try to get some help
> before I heave it all out the window!! :)
> Thank you!
> --
> Judio www.no9254me.com

Thank you Byte - I think this is what the problem was because I had 19 items
in the startup. I deleted most of them as you said but then when it started
up, a message said it was in diagnostic mode and to go put them back. I
bypassed the message, but then couldn't do a lot of things (I couldn't reply
to you - it went to an error page). It did start up fast, but I had to go
put them back in. Any other suggestions?
--
Judio www.no9254me.com

"Byte" wrote:

> You're Startup is probably loading too many apps bogging your system down.
> Go to: Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
> Now click the Startup tab and disable/uncheck everything except your
> anti-virus program. Click Apply and Close. Reboot.
> Now it should boot in less then 3 minutes..........good luck :~)
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "Judio" wrote:
>
> > When I turn on my PC, it sometimes takes 20+ min to start working. Anything
> > I click on during this time freezes, nothing works, and it sounds like my
> > hard drive is processing or working all this time. Is there a way I can see
> > what it is that is running so I can disable it? When I open the Task
> > Manager, and the Processes tab, I see lots of files with numbers changing but
> > don't have any idea what they are. If I click on "end process" it warns me
> > not to, so I don't. I'm looking for a place I can see what's actually
> > running in plain English, so I can decide whether to get rid of it or not.
> >
> > I have Norton Anti-Virus and Internet security installed and this may be
> > causing the problem but I'm not sure. I thought I'd try to get some help
> > before I heave it all out the window!! :)
> > Thank you!
> > --
> > Judio www.no9254me.com

Slow computer
http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx
4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance