Status
Not open for further replies.

crisalcyon_10

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm currently using an HP DM1z ultraportable. I've upgraded to a single stick 4GB RAM. I still have the stock 2GB stick with me and was wondering about the merits of having 6GB RAM and moving to a 64-bit OS.

Given that I'm running on an AMD E-350 processor and still a SATA HDD just how much of a performance boost would 4GB to 6GB give me? Would I just be better off upgrading to an SSD?

TIA!

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I'm not all too familiar with that particular laptop but it kinda depends on what you do with that laptop. Unless you're doing something graphic intensive I don't think it would be worth it.

The difference between 2 - 4GB is going to be more than the performance difference between 4 - 6GB. I prefer 64-bit OS but unless you already have a copy, you're talking about spending a fair amount of money for that upgrade and I'm not sure if you'd really see the difference (unless you're using programs that are designed to take advantage of 64-bit).

As far as SSD, I'm not as familiar with the performance boost there. I have one on my media PC but that's mainly to keep things quiet. They are getting better in price so it might not be too bad but I just don't know how much better it would run (if at all).

With such a low end cpu, I'd say 6gb ram/64 bit won't help. A ssd would be very noticeable in overall responsiveness. But without knowing what you are doing, I can't say for sure. Assuming it's just browsing then a ssd would be my suggestion if you want to upgrade.

crisalcyon_10

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I use it mostly as my mobile workstation. I'm a front-end web developer so most of the time I run code editors and multiple browsers on it.

As for the discussion on SSD's, I know some people who say it's the single best upgrade they've made for their laptops aside from going 8GB on RAM.

Right now though, at 4GB I feel pretty steady already and don't see any point in going for 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.