Setting up GPRS on a Siemens SX1

Because the Siemens SX1 isn't officially supported on Fido's network I
wasn't able to receive their GPRS configuration when I signed up for
it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
Siemens phones and that was fruitless. I called Fido's customer
service to see if they could provide the settings so that I could
enter them manually. The Customer Service rep put me on hold and came
back saying that they would sms the settings to my phone. After trying
for a bit I gave up. I can understand them not being familiar with
the SX1 but they should've been able to provide me a little more
configuration info.

Has anyone had any luck with configuring either an SX1 on Fido's
network or something similar?

I'm probably going to give Fido a call again tomorrow to see if I can
talk to someone in the know directly but I'm not holding my breath.
:)

thanks,
Bryan
7 answers Last reply
More about setting gprs siemens

    Bryan wrote:
    > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
    > Siemens phones and that was fruitless.

    for wap:
    APN: wap.fido.ca
    login name: fido
    password fido (i think)

    for MMS:
    APN: mms.fido.ca
    login name:
    password:
    mms relay server: http://mms.fido.ca
    I believe the IP and port are set automatically. (my port is set to 9201, and
    ip address of 205.151.011.xxx

    for mail/java/rms:

    APN: internet.fido.ca
    login name:
    password:
    DNS: (empty, or 000.000.000

    for outbound emails, the smtp server is gprs.fido.ca port 25, no
    authentication necessary

    Great stuff, thanks!

    The Fido folks gave me some sort of dial code too and the only place I
    see that is if GPRS is set to analogue or ISDN. Should I just ignore
    this?

    "Bryan" <bryan@dwc.com> wrote in message
    > Great stuff, thanks!
    >
    > The Fido folks gave me some sort of dial code too and the only place I
    > see that is if GPRS is set to analogue or ISDN. Should I just ignore
    > this?

    That's the code for your laptop to dial if you are going to use your phone
    as a modem for a laptop or computer.

    Tried this stuff the suggested settings tonight and I didn't have any
    luck
    so I looked around Siemens website for some assistance and I came
    across their OTA Configurator, It's pretty easy to use and it works
    with Fido and more importantly it installed all the settings I need to
    use GPRS, WAP and MMS on my Siemens SX1. :)

    Bryan

    bryan@dwc.com (Bryan) wrote in message news:<d36cbe99.0410190935.21c48b9a@posting.google.com>...
    > Great stuff, thanks!
    >
    > The Fido folks gave me some sort of dial code too and the only place I
    > see that is if GPRS is set to analogue or ISDN. Should I just ignore
    > this?
    >

    > JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<417485BA.CED627CF@teksavvy.com>...
    > > Bryan wrote:
    > > > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
    > > > Siemens phones and that was fruitless.
    > >
    > > for wap:
    > > APN: wap.fido.ca
    > > login name: fido
    > > password fido (i think)
    > >
    > > for MMS:
    > > APN: mms.fido.ca
    > > login name:
    > > password:
    > > mms relay server: http://mms.fido.ca
    > > I believe the IP and port are set automatically. (my port is set to 9201, and
    > > ip address of 205.151.011.xxx
    > >

    > > for mail/java/rms:
    > >
    > > APN: internet.fido.ca
    > > login name:
    > > password:
    > > DNS: (empty, or 000.000.000
    > >
    > > for outbound emails, the smtp server is gprs.fido.ca port 25, no
    > > authentication necessary

    Call Fido and ask them to send you an OTA with the settings...

    In the mean time;

    Here are the general WAP settings :
    1.. Homepage: http://wap.fido.ca
    2.. GPRS access point (APN) : wap.fido.ca
    3.. IP address: 205.151.011.011
    4.. port : 9201
    5.. User name: fido
    6.. Password: fido
    Here are the general MMS setrtings :

    1. APN : mms.fido.ca
    2. IP address : 205.151.011.013
    3. port : 9201
    4. MMS relay server URL : http://mms.fido.ca

    Here are the general GPRS settings :
    1.. APN : internet.fido.ca
    2.. user name : fido
    3.. password : fido
    4.. dial up# : *99# (Note: for sonyericsson's the dial up# is *99***CID #)

    > Because the Siemens SX1 isn't officially supported on Fido's network I
    > wasn't able to receive their GPRS configuration when I signed up for
    > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
    > Siemens phones and that was fruitless. I called Fido's customer
    > service to see if they could provide the settings so that I could
    > enter them manually. The Customer Service rep put me on hold and came
    > back saying that they would sms the settings to my phone. After trying
    > for a bit I gave up. I can understand them not being familiar with
    > the SX1 but they should've been able to provide me a little more
    > configuration info.
    >
    > Has anyone had any luck with configuring either an SX1 on Fido's
    > network or something similar?
    >
    > I'm probably going to give Fido a call again tomorrow to see if I can
    > talk to someone in the know directly but I'm not holding my breath.
    > :)
    >

    > thanks,
    > Bryan

    What's the *99# for?

    Bryan

    "The Photo Guy" <thephotoguy_NoSpam_@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<5pjdd.133688$H45.1845530@weber.videotron.net>...
    > Call Fido and ask them to send you an OTA with the settings...
    >
    > In the mean time;
    >
    > Here are the general WAP settings :
    > 1.. Homepage: http://wap.fido.ca
    > 2.. GPRS access point (APN) : wap.fido.ca
    > 3.. IP address: 205.151.011.011
    > 4.. port : 9201
    > 5.. User name: fido
    > 6.. Password: fido
    > Here are the general MMS setrtings :
    >
    > 1. APN : mms.fido.ca
    > 2. IP address : 205.151.011.013
    > 3. port : 9201
    > 4. MMS relay server URL : http://mms.fido.ca
    >
    > Here are the general GPRS settings :
    > 1.. APN : internet.fido.ca
    > 2.. user name : fido
    > 3.. password : fido
    > 4.. dial up# : *99# (Note: for sonyericsson's the dial up# is *99***CID #)
    >
    > "Bryan" <bryan@dwc.com> wrote in message
    > > Because the Siemens SX1 isn't officially supported on Fido's network I
    > > wasn't able to receive their GPRS configuration when I signed up for
    > > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
    > > Siemens phones and that was fruitless. I called Fido's customer
    > > service to see if they could provide the settings so that I could
    > > enter them manually. The Customer Service rep put me on hold and came
    > > back saying that they would sms the settings to my phone. After trying
    > > for a bit I gave up. I can understand them not being familiar with
    > > the SX1 but they should've been able to provide me a little more
    > > configuration info.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had any luck with configuring either an SX1 on Fido's
    > > network or something similar?
    > >
    > > I'm probably going to give Fido a call again tomorrow to see if I can
    > > talk to someone in the know directly but I'm not holding my breath.
    > > :)
    > >

    > > thanks,
    > > Bryan

    That protion is if you are setting up ur PC to use the GRPS over ur phone...

    Rgds,
    TPG

    > What's the *99# for?
    >

    > Bryan
    >
    > "The Photo Guy" <thephotoguy_NoSpam_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Call Fido and ask them to send you an OTA with the settings...
    > >
    > > In the mean time;
    > >
    > > Here are the general WAP settings :
    > > 1.. Homepage: http://wap.fido.ca
    > > 2.. GPRS access point (APN) : wap.fido.ca
    > > 3.. IP address: 205.151.011.011
    > > 4.. port : 9201
    > > 5.. User name: fido
    > > 6.. Password: fido
    > > Here are the general MMS setrtings :
    > >
    > > 1. APN : mms.fido.ca
    > > 2. IP address : 205.151.011.013
    > > 3. port : 9201
    > > 4. MMS relay server URL : http://mms.fido.ca
    > >
    > > Here are the general GPRS settings :
    > > 1.. APN : internet.fido.ca
    > > 2.. user name : fido
    > > 3.. password : fido
    > > 4.. dial up# : *99# (Note: for sonyericsson's the dial up# is
    *99***CID #)

    > > "Bryan" <bryan@dwc.com> wrote in message
    > > > Because the Siemens SX1 isn't officially supported on Fido's network I
    > > > wasn't able to receive their GPRS configuration when I signed up for
    > > > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
    > > > Siemens phones and that was fruitless. I called Fido's customer
    > > > service to see if they could provide the settings so that I could
    > > > enter them manually. The Customer Service rep put me on hold and came
    > > > back saying that they would sms the settings to my phone. After trying
    > > > for a bit I gave up. I can understand them not being familiar with
    > > > the SX1 but they should've been able to provide me a little more
    > > > configuration info.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone had any luck with configuring either an SX1 on Fido's
    > > > network or something similar?
    > > >
    > > > I'm probably going to give Fido a call again tomorrow to see if I can
    > > > talk to someone in the know directly but I'm not holding my breath.
    > > > :)
    > > >

    > > > thanks,
    > > > Bryan

Fido Siemens Configuration Internet Service Providers