Setting up GPRS on a Siemens SX1

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
October 18, 2004 11:36:13 PM

Because the Siemens SX1 isn't officially supported on Fido's network I
wasn't able to receive their GPRS configuration when I signed up for
it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
Siemens phones and that was fruitless. I called Fido's customer
service to see if they could provide the settings so that I could
enter them manually. The Customer Service rep put me on hold and came
back saying that they would sms the settings to my phone. After trying
for a bit I gave up. I can understand them not being familiar with
the SX1 but they should've been able to provide me a little more
configuration info.

Has anyone had any luck with configuring either an SX1 on Fido's
network or something similar?

I'm probably going to give Fido a call again tomorrow to see if I can
talk to someone in the know directly but I'm not holding my breath.
:)

thanks,
Bryan
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 3:11:24 AM

Bryan wrote:
> it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
> Siemens phones and that was fruitless.

for wap:
APN: wap.fido.ca
login name: fido
password fido (i think)

for MMS:
APN: mms.fido.ca
login name:
password:
mms relay server: http://mms.fido.ca
I believe the IP and port are set automatically. (my port is set to 9201, and
ip address of 205.151.011.xxx

for mail/java/rms:

APN: internet.fido.ca
login name:
password:
DNS: (empty, or 000.000.000

for outbound emails, the smtp server is gprs.fido.ca port 25, no
authentication necessary
October 19, 2004 2:35:57 PM

Great stuff, thanks!

The Fido folks gave me some sort of dial code too and the only place I
see that is if GPRS is set to analogue or ISDN. Should I just ignore
this?

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<417485BA.CED627CF@teksavvy.com>...
> Bryan wrote:
> > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
> > Siemens phones and that was fruitless.
>
> for wap:
> APN: wap.fido.ca
> login name: fido
> password fido (i think)
>
> for MMS:
> APN: mms.fido.ca
> login name:
> password:
> mms relay server: http://mms.fido.ca
> I believe the IP and port are set automatically. (my port is set to 9201, and
> ip address of 205.151.011.xxx
>

> for mail/java/rms:
>
> APN: internet.fido.ca
> login name:
> password:
> DNS: (empty, or 000.000.000
>
> for outbound emails, the smtp server is gprs.fido.ca port 25, no
> authentication necessary
October 20, 2004 12:16:13 AM

"Bryan" <bryan@dwc.com> wrote in message
news:D 36cbe99.0410190935.21c48b9a@posting.google.com...
> Great stuff, thanks!
>
> The Fido folks gave me some sort of dial code too and the only place I
> see that is if GPRS is set to analogue or ISDN. Should I just ignore
> this?

That's the code for your laptop to dial if you are going to use your phone
as a modem for a laptop or computer.
October 20, 2004 12:32:37 AM

Tried this stuff the suggested settings tonight and I didn't have any
luck
so I looked around Siemens website for some assistance and I came
across their OTA Configurator, It's pretty easy to use and it works
with Fido and more importantly it installed all the settings I need to
use GPRS, WAP and MMS on my Siemens SX1. :)

Bryan

bryan@dwc.com (Bryan) wrote in message news:<d36cbe99.0410190935.21c48b9a@posting.google.com>...
> Great stuff, thanks!
>
> The Fido folks gave me some sort of dial code too and the only place I
> see that is if GPRS is set to analogue or ISDN. Should I just ignore
> this?
>

> JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<417485BA.CED627CF@teksavvy.com>...
> > Bryan wrote:
> > > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
> > > Siemens phones and that was fruitless.
> >
> > for wap:
> > APN: wap.fido.ca
> > login name: fido
> > password fido (i think)
> >
> > for MMS:
> > APN: mms.fido.ca
> > login name:
> > password:
> > mms relay server: http://mms.fido.ca
> > I believe the IP and port are set automatically. (my port is set to 9201, and
> > ip address of 205.151.011.xxx
> >

> > for mail/java/rms:
> >
> > APN: internet.fido.ca
> > login name:
> > password:
> > DNS: (empty, or 000.000.000
> >
> > for outbound emails, the smtp server is gprs.fido.ca port 25, no
> > authentication necessary
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:45:38 AM

Call Fido and ask them to send you an OTA with the settings...

In the mean time;

Here are the general WAP settings :
1.. Homepage: http://wap.fido.ca
2.. GPRS access point (APN) : wap.fido.ca
3.. IP address: 205.151.011.011
4.. port : 9201
5.. User name: fido
6.. Password: fido
Here are the general MMS setrtings :

1. APN : mms.fido.ca
2. IP address : 205.151.011.013
3. port : 9201
4. MMS relay server URL : http://mms.fido.ca

Here are the general GPRS settings :
1.. APN : internet.fido.ca
2.. user name : fido
3.. password : fido
4.. dial up# : *99# (Note: for sonyericsson's the dial up# is *99***CID #)

"Bryan" <bryan@dwc.com> wrote in message
news:D 36cbe99.0410181836.4008b7f@posting.google.com...
> Because the Siemens SX1 isn't officially supported on Fido's network I
> wasn't able to receive their GPRS configuration when I signed up for
> it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
> Siemens phones and that was fruitless. I called Fido's customer
> service to see if they could provide the settings so that I could
> enter them manually. The Customer Service rep put me on hold and came
> back saying that they would sms the settings to my phone. After trying
> for a bit I gave up. I can understand them not being familiar with
> the SX1 but they should've been able to provide me a little more
> configuration info.
>
> Has anyone had any luck with configuring either an SX1 on Fido's
> network or something similar?
>
> I'm probably going to give Fido a call again tomorrow to see if I can
> talk to someone in the know directly but I'm not holding my breath.
> :)
>

> thanks,
> Bryan
October 20, 2004 10:37:27 PM

What's the *99# for?

Bryan

"The Photo Guy" <thephotoguy_NoSpam_@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<5pjdd.133688$H45.1845530@weber.videotron.net>...
> Call Fido and ask them to send you an OTA with the settings...
>
> In the mean time;
>
> Here are the general WAP settings :
> 1.. Homepage: http://wap.fido.ca
> 2.. GPRS access point (APN) : wap.fido.ca
> 3.. IP address: 205.151.011.011
> 4.. port : 9201
> 5.. User name: fido
> 6.. Password: fido
> Here are the general MMS setrtings :
>
> 1. APN : mms.fido.ca
> 2. IP address : 205.151.011.013
> 3. port : 9201
> 4. MMS relay server URL : http://mms.fido.ca
>
> Here are the general GPRS settings :
> 1.. APN : internet.fido.ca
> 2.. user name : fido
> 3.. password : fido
> 4.. dial up# : *99# (Note: for sonyericsson's the dial up# is *99***CID #)
>
> "Bryan" <bryan@dwc.com> wrote in message
> news:D 36cbe99.0410181836.4008b7f@posting.google.com...
> > Because the Siemens SX1 isn't officially supported on Fido's network I
> > wasn't able to receive their GPRS configuration when I signed up for
> > it. I tried looking on Fido's website on how to set GPRS up on other
> > Siemens phones and that was fruitless. I called Fido's customer
> > service to see if they could provide the settings so that I could
> > enter them manually. The Customer Service rep put me on hold and came
> > back saying that they would sms the settings to my phone. After trying
> > for a bit I gave up. I can understand them not being familiar with
> > the SX1 but they should've been able to provide me a little more
> > configuration info.
> >
> > Has anyone had any luck with configuring either an SX1 on Fido's
> > network or something similar?
> >
> > I'm probably going to give Fido a call again tomorrow to see if I can
> > talk to someone in the know directly but I'm not holding my breath.
> > :)
> >

> > thanks,
> > Bryan
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 11:40:43 PM

That protion is if you are setting up ur PC to use the GRPS over ur phone...

Rgds,
TPG

news:D 36cbe99.0410201737.3228ad6@posting.google.com...

!