Help, screwy 9700

ImmortalZ

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
Hi,

Lemme list out the specs I'm running ATM.

2500+ on an A7V333
1GB Corsair XMS 512x2 (BH6)
Radeon 9700 NP @ Pro speeds
Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU

I know I'm running a bad mobo. I was using a A7N8X Deluxe, but it got fried and is in RMA. The problem is that, 3 days back I got Farcry and started playing. At the end of a particular session, I restarted the computer and I got a boot error - "System Failed VGA test" (this mobo has a POST reporter that says stuff thru my speakers).

I replaced the card with an old Riva TNT I have lying around and it refused to boot still. After a lot of frustration, I just turned the whole thing off and went to cool off. When I came back an hour later, the system booted with the TNT. But the Radeon was still a nogo. After this, I've tried plugging in the card many many MANY times. It sometimes manages to boot and goes to the BIOS. But when I save and exit, its back to the old System failed VGA test thing. Oh BTW, when this happens, the CMOS seems to go to default settings.

Ten minutes ago, it did the same thing and I saved and exited from the bios and to my surprise, it booted on restart too! But I hadn't made the correct setting for FSB and when I did this and restarted, it died again.

WTF is wrong with this card? Or is it something with my system? Can someone help out?

cleeve

Illustrious
Sounds like your 9700 died. test it in someone else's computer... if it doesn't work, it's gonzo.

RMA it if you can.